Exotic BAN bill in Ohio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I am so relieved at the moment and I cannot wait to get home and give the big kids a huge hug
I know this can still rear it's ugly head, but this was one huge victory for us

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
John i havent looked at your thread for a while now, but something told me i must today?.

AND AM I PLEASED I DID!!!

Well done Sir!
I need to go back some pages though because i don't know what's happend with Carmelo?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

John i havent looked at your thread for a while now, but something told me i must today?.

AND AM I PLEASED I DID!!!

Well done Sir!
I need to go back some pages though because i don't know what's happend with Carmelo?
From what I gather, this bill is now dead. It can come back as another one, but we will be even more prepared in case it does. But, this was a great victory for ALL animal owners, since this was an Animal Rights backed bill (API and HSUS wanted it to pass)
As for Carmelo, nothing happened to him, I just had an issue with the township I live in. I think I explained it in the picture thread. I won the battle to keep my bobcats on my property, but they have some stupid zoning issue and didn't want Carmelo there, nor the bobcats, but I told them if they make me move my bobcats, I would file a huge lawsuit against them. Before I moved there, I called the township hall and asked them if they had any laws about exotic animals. No one ever called me back. Mind you, this is a rural area, mostly farm and many people have horses, cows and bison.It should be noted, horses kill or injure many people every year. There has been more people injured or killed by horses than ANY large cat in captivity. Imagine getting charged by a bison!! When I moved, I found out they had a zoning issue. I was able to finally speak with the zoning people who stated and I quote "we have no problems with you owning bobcats, as long as there are no complaints". Well, the only one who complained, was an Animal Rights activist spy who complained. (Is it any wonder why I hate these AR groups and what I say about them is the truth!!) Well, the township wanted me to move all my exotics off my property. I told them NO!!, I will not, because this was a complaint by an AR person, not a neighbor or resident of our county. (I would have still told them no, even if it wasn't an AR person) I told them, even though you have a zoning issue, you told me it was ok and I have them on tape telling me this. (I called them from a recorded phone line at work) I told them, if you had a zoning issue, you should never have told me "it was ok as long as there was no complaint". It has to be one way or the other. So, I told them a lawsuit would be filed. So, they have left me alone. However, with Carmelo, I decided to move him to our friends place, until I relocate. I wanted to let this stupid controversy to cool down. I was adv, that if I hired an attorney, more than likely I could take them to court and win, to bring Carmelo back onto our property, due to the way the zoning law is written. (It is not written well at all, many loopholes) But, I would much rather use the money to buy a new piece of property (5 or more acres) than to spend it on an attorney. It should be noted, not one person who lives near me has any problems with my big cats, they all love them and were very upset when I relocated Carmelo. I had many of them say, they would back me up if I tried to change the zoning.
You may wonder how I know this was an AR spy. Well last year, there was an incident in a county next to mine, where a guy who raises bears for fur, urine and other body parts, had one of his animals escape. Yes, it did injure someone, but nothing was life threatening. Like I said, this is a rural county, you can be inured by a farmers cow, horse or bison. The bear owner was not a private "pet" owner. I know how the bear got out, it was a mistake the breeder made and he should be held accountable for his mistake, but this incident does not mean we need a ban law. Good fair regulations would have made sure this mistake did not happen. Well, since that incident, my information was posted in a local newspaper, as a person who owns exotic animals. Shortly after, a suspicious group of people stopped by our residence. It was after this, I had my troubles with the township and a few weeks after that, a ban bill supported by API and HSUS came before our state legislature. That bill was stopped and a new one, HB45 appeared. Now that HB45 was stopped, a new one may appear, but it may not be for awhile. However, we will continue to prepare, so we can stop this nonsense once and for all. I hope everyone can understand what I just wrote. I tried to make it as short as possible
Carmelo is still our boy, he just lives at our friends exotic cat sanctuary, until we move. As seen by all the pictures I post, we spend a lot of time with him. Almost as much time as if he lived on our property.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please take a few minutes to watch this video about the federal exotic cat bill known as Haley's Act H.R. 1947. Please, contact your U.S. representative asking them to vote NO on this bill. This bill is NOT needed, there is NO danger to the public from baby exotic cats

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDlg2...eature=related

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Please take a few minutes to watch this video about the federal exotic cat bill known as Haley's Act H.R. 1947. Please, contact your U.S. representative asking them to vote NO on this bill. This bill is NOT needed, there is NO danger to the public from baby exotic cats

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6yDlg2...eature=related
Done! Thanks for the link, John! Keep up the good fight!!!

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I think this bill would/could be a good thing. There are too many people that simply do not know how to care for exotics, and I certainly wouldn't feel safe living near someone who owned exotics, given how many times we've all seen news stories about maulings. However, I think it'd be best if people that just -had- to own exotics, for whatever reason, have to at least be required to take biology and zoology courses, and really study the animals they wish to own, then be able to provide a -proper- enclosure or habitat for the animal(s) in question.

And about horses killing more people than exotics do, there are TONS more horses owned than exotics owned, and horses (generally) aren't malicious enough (or naturally inclined) to kill. I have a feeling most horse-based deaths are due to accidents (suprise stampedes, freakouts, ect.), whereas exotic-based deaths are due to the "prey" was little, moved too quickly, or the animal felt like "playing", and got too rough.

Then again, it depends on what kind of "exotics" you're talking about. Lions, tigers, and bears (oh my) would be on -my- list of DON'T's, but birds and lizards, as well as other little not-so-common household pets (such as sugar gliders), would be okay, provided that the owner knows how to care for them right.

If more people were more responsible, then there would be no issue. But as it is, even the number of deaths due to exotics is too high, given the number of exotics owned.

By the way, I have not intended to insult or upset, just stating my opinion. =) Those of you who own the more "dangerous exotics", I'm sure you do a great job, or you'd probably not be here, as you'd be eaten, or some such thing. =3

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, where to I start to educate you on the TRUTH!! I can tell by this reply, that you have been far to influenced by the animal rights and media lies.
Honestly, I think this bill would/could be a good thing. There are too many people that simply do not know how to care for exotics, and I certainly wouldn't feel safe living near someone who owned exotics, given how many times we've all seen news stories about maulings. However, I think it'd be best if people that just -had- to own exotics, for whatever reason, have to at least be required to take biology and zoology courses, and really study the animals they wish to own, then be able to provide a -proper- enclosure or habitat for the animal(s) in question.
NO, this bill would NOT be a good thing. In fact, if the bill would go through, my cats face the real reality of being KILLED. Yes, this bill is supported by the animal rights groups such as PETA and HSUS, so they therefore support the killing of animals. As to state there are far to many people that simply do not know how to care for exotics is a lie and NOT the truth. How many people do not know how to care for domestic animals? How many people do NOT know how to properly care for their own children? In this case, all animal ownership should be banned (ooops, that's what PETA and HSUS want) and we should ban all people from having children. How many stories have you seen of maulings? Tell me these stories and I will tell you the truth. If there are any incidents, which there are very few, most if not all happen to the care takers, owner or someone who didn not listen or obey the rules and did something stupid. There has only been one case in Ohio that I can recall, where someone was injured from an exotic animal getting loose. It was a bear, but the person was only slightly injured and the bear was NOT owned by a private owner. It was a bear that was raised for parts; fur, urine, organs etc. Yes, this was an accident that should never have happened, BUT in that same year, a Bison got loose from a farmer and rammed some cars in the area, including a sheriffs crusier that was there. In that same year, a 5 year old boy was severely bitten in the face by his family's dog. Get this, a GOLDEN RETRIEVER. In no case, has there ever been an incident where an escaped exotic animal caused any injury, other than the bear incident. So, I have just proven this media nonsense as false. Give me the cases that you are talking about and I will tell you the REAL truth, not the media lie.
And about horses killing more people than exotics do, there are TONS more horses owned than exotics owned, and horses (generally) aren't malicious enough (or naturally inclined) to kill. I have a feeling most horse-based deaths are due to accidents (suprise stampedes, freakouts, ect.), whereas exotic-based deaths are due to the "prey" was little, moved too quickly, or the animal felt like "playing", and got too rough
The fact is this, regardless if there are more horses, they do injure and kill more people whether by accident or not. The so called "incidents" with exotics are by accident too, NOT by so called "prey" drive. Do you have any proof of this? I have never seen this happen. Cars kill a lot of people too and so do childrens toys and our domestic dogs.
If more people were more responsible, then there would be no issue. But as it is, even the number of deaths due to exotics is too high, given the number of exotics owned.
The number of deaths too high? What is THAT number? I don't know of ANY incident involving an animal that got loose and killed someone. The fact is this, most exotic animal owners are more responsible than the vast majority of domestic animal owners and people who have children. Yes, as with anything, all it takes is 1 bad owner to make ALL look bad, then the media and animal rights groups spread their lies to make the uneducated people believe them. Like I said, I want to hear your so called stories, I will tell you the truth behind every single one.
By the way, I have not intended to insult or upset, just stating my opinion. =) Those of you who own the more "dangerous exotics", I'm sure you do a great job, or you'd probably not be here, as you'd be eaten, or some such thing
No, you did not insult or upset me. In fact, this gave me the opportunity to educate you to the truth, not the lies that you have heard. I own bobcats and a cougar. I work around other cougars, lynxes, bobcats, tiger and wolf. I do an excellent job as do ALL the other owners I know. To bad the media and or the AR have not told you the truth. That is, the AR wants to end ALL animal ownership. They start with exotics first, becuase to the uneducated public, it is easier to put fear into them. But, they will and already have, started to attack domestic animal owners as well. In some areas, you can't even own a domestic Bengal cat and Pitt Bulls are being banned through BSL, Breed Specific Legislation. As I stated, this bill was written by an animal rights group known as API. It is supported by HSUS, another animal rights group. They are the ones wanting this bill to pass and are using our state legislators to get their way or shoud I say, are trying to. But, we educated or state reps on the truth and so far, we have stopped this bill
I should also note, that when I say uneducated public, I am not trying to say anyone is stupid.
However, I think it'd be best if people that just -had- to own exotics, for whatever reason, have to at least be required to take biology and zoology courses, and really study the animals they wish to own, then be able to provide a -proper- enclosure or habitat for the animal(s) in question.
Taking a biology and zoology course would do nothing really. However, I have always stated that yes, if you wish to own one of these animals, that you must be responsible. That means, really understanding the animal you wish to own, by gaining hands on experience before you own the animal and as for the enclosure yes, that is a must. All responsible exotic owners should have the proper enclosure. I do and so do other exotic animal owners I know.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I hate PETA, and would never wish for your animals, or anyone elses, to be killed because people think they are dangerous. I'm sorry that I didn't, for whatever reason, realize that the animals would be killed. Thought never crossed my mind.

I have seen stories on the news, on "When Animals Attack" (horrible show, don't know why I watched it the other night), where a child was mauled in his own backyard by a pet courgar, who had escaped from his owners house. Thankfully, he lived, even with severe injuries to his head and neck. They (the owners) claimed this cat would have never hurt a human. (Then again, these people later denied that the cougar was theirs...) These are the kind of people that I have heard about (and, just as you said, when you hear something bad about one person), and you rarely, if ever, hear about the responsible people. And you know, I hate banning animals, because people can't get their act together. I hate that pit bulls are banned in my city, but it's people like my neighbor's kids, who threaten other people, saying, "I'm going to sic my pit on you", that do the dumb**** things and get them banned. In the pit bull case, it's worth it, even though I loved seeing well-behaved pits around the city.

It's true that dogs and other powerful animals also kill people, but that's not what we're talking about here (although, I guess we are now =P). And even with dogs, I believe only certain people should own dogs, doesn't matter the breed. I personally will probably never own a dog, because I couldn't deal with one. Same with kids, some people REALLY shouldn't have kids, me being one of those people, because I doubt I could raise a child properly.

Most (not all) stories with domestic pets injuring/killing a human is because the human did something wrong, such as harassed them (pulled ears, tails, whatever) or startled them (stampede, as I said, or the dog thought the person was an intruder, or something) OR the animal was simply not trained right (that person shouldn't have owned the animal, then). The only stories I have heard of exotics doing the same was either the owner or handler wasn't paying attention, and the animal turned on them in play or swift change of attitude, or the animal escaped its habitat/home and found someone fun to "play" with. And again, I'll say, there are FAR more horses in the States, and there fore of course there will be more horse maulings, but also as I said, those were almost undoubtably due to a freak accident. I have NEVER heard of a horse trampling it's owner to death in play or anger (though I'm sure it's possible, and has probably happened now and then), but what I -have- heard of, rarely, is a stampede, and people were accidently caught between the horses and where they were going.

I guess I'm kind of against wild animals being pets, too. Cats and dogs have been so ruined that we -can't- return them to their natural habitat, even if there -was- room. Lions, and tigers, and bison...I just don't see that it's fair for them to be cooped up in a single area for their entire life, because even if you own acres and acres, they don't really have the free will to go wherever they want. I hate that we own birds, too, but most of these birds (except wild-caught, of course) wouldn't survive in the wild. I know -my- three wouldn't, anyway.

I'm looking at stories online, both about big cats, both of which have statistics of maulings between 1990 and 2006, but both stories have different numbers. And you're right, the media -does- make things sound worse than they really are, but usually, the point is still the same. People are still being killed, and something needs to be done.

http://www.felineconservation.org/le...ty.asp?key=401
"According to PETA website and various news sources, 16 people were fatally mauled by big cats between 1990 and 2006, that is one death per year.
One fatality was by leopard, 2 by lions and 13 by tigers. (The 17th death cited by PETA was an apparent suicide of a woman climbing into lions cage at the AZA accredited [The American Zoo and Aquarium Association] National Zoo at Washington DC)."

http://www.bigcatrescue.org/big_cat_news.htm
"The following is a partial listing (659) of incidents in the U.S. involving captive exotic cats since 1990. The U.S. incidents have resulted in the deaths of 19 humans, 15 adults and 4 children, the additional mauling of 172 more adults and children, 137 escapes, the killing of 80 big cats, and 113 confiscations. There have also been 149 big cat incidents outside the U.S. that have resulted in the deaths of 56 humans and the mauling of 85 humans by captive big cats. These figures only represent the headlines that Big Cat Rescue has been able to track. Because there is no reporting agency that keeps such records the actual numbers are certainly much higher. "

I have to admit, this is a great point, though: "If you ban the animals from living in a captive environment, where do you expect them to live?
The wild isn't anymore. Americans ought to be able to find a way to keep them around us safely.
Tigers are reduced to four sub-species. A ban law will likely kill some tigers that are now being held safely, and are reproducing.
It is very hypocritical to tell other nations we should let them live and breed in the "wild" when we are afraid to have them in our neighbors cages." From http://www.wwaytv3.com/node/1250.

Also, a quote from http://www.bigcatrescue.org/big_cat_news.htm
"November 19, 2007 Wakefield, Ohio: Pike County sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call of a lion "attacking" vehicles on U.S. 23 found Terry and Vicki Brumfield trying to capture the 550-pound feline. Lambert had broken out of his pen in Piketon. Brumfield raises lions as an escape from depression and owns two lions, Lambert and Lacey. Although he says he loves his pets, Brumfield said he was prepared to shoot Lambert. Ohio doesn't require permits for exotic animals, but that would change under an Ohio House bill now in committee. Terry Brumfield faces three misdemeanor animal cruelty charges, including failure to provide his two lions with a clean, healthful environment. Pike County Humane Agent John Owens says an inspection of Brumfield's property showed that the cage where two lions were kept was caked with manure and littered with rotting animal carcasses." Here's one case of bad owners.

So I don't know. Maybe they don't need a -ban-, but there definately needs to be stricter requirements, for EVERYTHING, really, and that includes owning cars, dogs, exotics, having children...But I doubt most of that will ever happen.

Holy...Did I write enough, do you think? ;D Writing a novel here, I guess...

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I am glad you hate PETA, but you also posted LIES from PETA, so I have to tell you the truth once again. Please, do NOT post any more garbage here from PETA. Because it is their LIES that get people to believe all the false information out there about exotic cats/pets in captivity. Now, please read and listen to the truth. You will see how PETA and yes Big Cat Rescue, another AR liar, will use numbers to mis guide you from the rael truth. First, let me tell you a little about me and why I know the truth. I am in no way an expert, no one can ever be a so called expert, but I have lots of experience and have mentors who have much more experience with these cats than I. One friend of mine has 25+ years experience. He owns a tiger, eurasian lynx and 2 cougars. I am a member of the Feline Conservation Federation FCF, A member of UAPEAL, Uniting A Proactive Primate and Exotic Animal League, A member of The Cougar Fund, Phoenix Exotics and the OAAO, Ohio Association of Animal Owners. My wife and I took a course on exotic/wild feline husbandry taught by the FCF. I work at an exotic cat sanctuary owned by a friend of ours. The owner teaches the exotic/wild feline husbandry course for the FCF. My wife and I are registered exotic feline handlers with the FCF. Ok, now let me go on here.
I have seen stories on the news, on "When Animals Attack" (horrible show, don't know why I watched it the other night), where a child was mauled in his own backyard by a pet courgar, who had escaped from his owners house. Thankfully, he lived, even with severe injuries to his head and neck. They (the owners) claimed this cat would have never hurt a human
Ok, let me walk through this. When Animals Attack is not the truth and it is a horrible media lie. I can make a video of myself, with my bobcats jumping on me and say look, this man is being MAULED by his bobcats. HARDLY the truth. Bobcats love their owners and love to jump on your back just to be there. Now, I have never heard of this child being "mauled" by an escaped cougar. Where and when did this happen?? I am not saying it may not have happened, but a story like that usually spreads like wild fire. I have never heard the story. However, it's funny how the media uses the word "mauled" when it comes to an exotic cat playing. Yes, this child could have been injured by this cougar wanting to play, but the cougar was in no way mauling the child and it wasn't trying to eat the child either. Back to that word "mauled". Yes, the media will say that child was mauled, because it was a cougar. But, when the 5 year old boy who was severely bitten in the head and face by the family's GOLDEN RETRIEVER DOG, the media only covered the story so brief and just said, a little boy was bitten in the head and face by the family's dog. That's it, end of stroy. Wasn't that child MAULED as well???? Se how the media loves to cause panic?? Now, I am not saying that story may not have happened, but I never heard of it and I would have, if it happened within the last 5 years or so. Please give me a date and place where this happened so I can find out the real story. I have heard other stories very similar, but it wasn't from a "pet" cougar.
I hate that pit bulls are banned in my city, but it's people like my neighbor's kids, who threaten other people, saying, "I'm going to sic my pit on you", that do the dumb**** things and get them banned. In the pit bull case, it's worth it, even though I loved seeing well-behaved pits around the city.
No, that is wrong to ban pit bulls!! In this case, if the kids are making these threats, the kids should be severely punished for making such threats. If I had anyones kids threaten me like that, I would prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law. I would not punish pitt bull owners. Bans are wrong, period!!
It's true that dogs and other powerful animals also kill people, but that's not what we're talking about here (although, I guess we are now =P).
Oh yes we are!! The AR try to get laws past banning our rights to own exotics, by making them seem dangerous and deadly to the uneducated public. When, there are other things in every day life, that are far more dangerous. Yes, our domestic dogs cause more injury and death every year. (I am not saying dogs should be banned) The truth is this, since there are far fewer exotic animal owners out there than domestic animal owners, the chance of being injured by an exotic animal is at the bottum of the list. As I stated, more children die form their own toys every year. In fact, I have a fact sheet here somewhere, that shows at least 25 kids die every single year from their toys!! I have had people who state, I shouldn't own these cats, what about my kids?? But at the same time, they will not think twice about putting their child in a car and drive down the road talking on their cell phone, with a cigarette in the other hand. As with EVERYTHING in life, there is some danger. But, with proper caging and husbandry practices, the danger from exotic cats is almost ZERO!!
Most (not all) stories with domestic pets injuring/killing a human is because the human did something wrong, such as harassed them (pulled ears, tails, whatever) or startled them (stampede, as I said, or the dog thought the person was an intruder, or something) OR the animal was simply not trained right (that person shouldn't have owned the animal, then). The only stories I have heard of exotics doing the same was either the owner or handler wasn't paying attention, and the animal turned on them in play or swift change of attitude, or the animal escaped its habitat/home and found someone fun to "play" with. And again, I'll say, there are FAR more horses in the States, and there fore of course there will be more horse maulings, but also as I said, those were almost undoubtably due to a freak accident. I have NEVER heard of a horse trampling it's owner to death in play or anger (though I'm sure it's possible, and has probably happened now and then), but what I -have- heard of, rarely, is a stampede, and people were accidently caught between the horses and where they were going.
Ok, wait a minute!! So it's ok that a dog injured someone because the owner did something wrong? You sound like the media!! You have never heard of a horse trampling it's owner?? That happens A LOT, but you won't hear it. Why? Because it is a horse, not an exotic animal. Again, incidents with domesticated animals get pushed aside, but if it is a so called dangerous exotic cat, look out!! Again, see how you are mis guided?? There was a woman killed in my area by a horse. How you may ask? The horse GOT LOOSE, ran into the street and got hit by the womans car. The woman was killed in the accident!! Did you hear of this in the media?? Oh no, God forbid. It wouldn't create panic in the world, after all, it is only horse. The truth is, ANY animal can turn on you for whatever reason, both domestic and exotic. Heck, I have seen domestic cats do great damage to people when they freak out!! Again, as I stated, there are few if ANY true stories of an exotic cat escaping and injuring anyone. Most if not all injuries and or deaths happen to the handler who is not experienced, like at a ZOO, someone doing something stupid, like entering a cage that says KEEP OUT, DO NOT ENTER!! Yes, sometimes the owner who does something stupid. There is a higher risk of injury when you enter that cats enclosure, than if the cat was running free, because you are entering their home and their territory. I can walk in with my cougar and he will love me like no other cat I have ever owned. But I will never let a stranger in with him, because they are not his owner or close friend. But, if he would get out (wich won't happen because he has the proper caging) he would just run around and want to play. He would be out of his territory and home.
guess I'm kind of against wild animals being pets, too. Cats and dogs have been so ruined that we -can't- return them to their natural habitat, even if there -was- room. Lions, and tigers, and bison...I just don't see that it's fair for them to be cooped up in a single area for their entire life, because even if you own acres and acres, they don't really have the free will to go wherever they want. I hate that we own birds, too, but most of these birds (except wild-caught, of course) wouldn't survive in the wild. I know -my- three wouldn't, anyway
Ok, for the record, these cats are born and raised in captivity, they are not taken from the wild to become pets. Yes, at one time they were, but there is a large breeding stock and none need to be taken from the wild. Do you own a cat? I see you own a bird? Why? Do you know that YOUR cat came from the wild at one time? Do you know that there is scientific proof, that our so called "domestic" cats are not really domesticated after all? That Bison I spoke of by the way, was not someones pet, it is raised for meat. As for them being cooped up. We give our cats lots of stimulation. You don't just keep it in an enclosure and never socialize with them. Our exotics get lots of attention and play time. As for them needing lots of free open space to run wild, do you know why this is? In the wild, they DON'T have the free will to go wherever they want. They must stay within their own territory or risk a fight. The only reason they need this large open space, is not for them just to run and play, it is for a proper food supply. In fact, these large cats in the wild will not run for the fun of it. For if they did, they would die out. The vast majority of time you see them roaming is either for food or to find a mate. They do not waste energy running and playing for fun. However, having a large cat like this in captivity does require that your provide them with lots of stimulation and toys to play with. Heck, these cats in captivity never have to worry about fighting for their territory, never have to starve between each meal. Nature is very cruel and harsh and given the chance, if I let my cougar go free, he would come right back. I know this, because he has such a close bond with me. This is his home, he doesn't know or understand what being left alone in the wild means. Another thing. These cats live alone in the wild, except during mating. But, these cats enjoy the company of each other in captivity. Something they would never ever do in the wild. My bobcats enjoy each others company as well as their domestic partners. Something they would never do in the wild. My cougar also enjoys the companionship of a lady cougar all the time, something he would never do in the wild. In the wild, they live a life all alone. These cats in captivity also provide a rich diverse gene pool. This gene pool can help keep wild species from going extinct. I can explain this, but I have so much more to write here. As it goes, in the future, these cats in captivity may be the only place left where you will see them.
I'm looking at stories online, both about big cats, both of which have statistics of maulings between 1990 and 2006, but both stories have different numbers. And you're right, the media -does- make things sound worse than they really are, but usually, the point is still the same. People are still being killed, and something needs to be done.
Ok, you are looking at the lies from PETA and Big Cat Rescue. You say people are still being killed and something needs to be done. Where are these people? 1 per year?? Ok, if we could only bring the number of people killed by cars down to 1 per year, or how many people are killed falling from ladders, falling in the shower, kids killed by their toys or from their OWN MOTHER AND FATHER or best yet, if we could only stop people from being killed by other people!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, people are killed by other people every day and something needs to be done now!!!! I know, we need to ban people!! As I stated, getting injured or killed by an exotic cat in captivity is the very last thing you need to worry about. You will more than likely be killed by getting hit with lightning or falling in your own shower. You better stop taking a shower now if you don't want to die!! And get this, you have a much better chance at winning the MEGA MILLIONS lottery jack pot than getting inured or killed by a captive exotic cat. I have all the statistics if you want to
see them. I have to run to work, will finsih this there, because I have a lot more to say.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that you're responsible with your cats. I'm sure not everyone else is. If everyone was as responsible as you, then there wouldn't be so many confiscations on Aniaml Cops Huston. Or is that yet another "lie"?

I'm sick of this. I hope you and your cats stay safe, and nothing bad happens. Good luck with the bill.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.felineconservation.org/le...ty.asp?key=401
"According to PETA website and various news sources, 16 people were fatally mauled by big cats between 1990 and 2006, that is one death per year.
One fatality was by leopard, 2 by lions and 13 by tigers. (The 17th death cited by PETA was an apparent suicide of a woman climbing into lions cage at the AZA accredited [The American Zoo and Aquarium Association] National Zoo at Washington DC)."
Thank you for posting this link. BUT, please don't just post a little tid bit from the whole article. This is false information and is not what the author intended. I encourage everyone who reads this post to look at the link and see what this whole article is trying to tell you. I can explain this here, but the article in the link explains it in detail. But still, 16 people killed between 1990 and 2006. Do you know how many people are killed by dogs or other domesticated animals in the same time? MUCH MUCH more!! (Again, not picking on or trying to say these animals should be banned, just focusing on the real truth here)
"The following is a partial listing (659) of incidents in the U.S. involving captive exotic cats since 1990. The U.S. incidents have resulted in the deaths of 19 humans, 15 adults and 4 children, the additional mauling of 172 more adults and children, 137 escapes, the killing of 80 big cats, and 113 confiscations. There have also been 149 big cat incidents outside the U.S. that have resulted in the deaths of 56 humans and the mauling of 85 humans by captive big cats. These figures only represent the headlines that Big Cat Rescue has been able to track. Because there is no reporting agency that keeps such records the actual numbers are certainly much higher. "
Only 659 incidents since 1990? You know how many thousands of incidents with dogs occur every year? These incidents are just that, an incident. It could mean something as simple as someone reporting a large cat running loose in the area, even if that incident has never been proven!! Here in Ohio, there is the Gahana Lion. It is a made up story that gets reported every time someone attempts to pass a law in this state. There is no lion and never has been. Did someone see something? I am sure they did, maybe a coyote, we have lots of those in Ohio. Maybe it was a bobcat. Yes, we have some, but they are on the endangered protected species list. If someone saw one, which is very rare in Ohio, they may report this bobcat as a lion. But, there never has been a lion loose in Gahana Ohio. The media reports there is, even posts pictures, but there is NEVER a lion or any cat in the picture. They posted pictures of the paw prints too, but it wasn't of a lion, because I know better. For one, the prints were to small, but it could have been a young lions paw, but this has been going on for years, so that is false. How do I know the paw prints in the mud were not of a lion?? There were claw marks at the end of each toe. Cats do NOT walk with their claws extended, but dogs do. So, this was a large dog print or a paw print of a coyote, NOT of a lion!! The only cat that walks with it's claws extended is the Cheetah. They can not retract their claws. And no, there is no Cheetah running loose either. Here is another incident. In the area where I live, a black leopard was reported to be running loose. Yep, that black leopard ended up being a large domestic black cat. Another incident by me. A lady reported a cougar was in her yard clawing and digging on her barn/shed door. NOT...no cougar. Cougars do not dig or scratch like that, so this too, was more than likely a coyote. Many of these so called incidents are just small incidents. A cat getting loose and the owner reclaiming it. But, this article would have you think, that there were 659 deaths or maulings by big cats. This is false AR propaganda. Now with the additional so called maulings, most did not happen from a large cat escape, most if not all happened at facilties where people willingly visited or did something stupid and put their arm into a cage that shouldn't have. Again, in this same time, there were thousands of dog or other domesticated animal incidents. Again, any animal can pose a danger. I am not saying the incidents that have happened were no big deal, most if not all could have been avoided if people had proper caging and followed the rules. I do agree with proper caging requirements. Yes, there IS a reporting agency that does keep record, unlike what BCR stated. BCR does not state why there were 80 big cat killings and 113 confiscations. The more ban laws that get passed, the more cat deaths and confiscations there will be. Lets put it this way NO ONE will take my cats from me..NO ONE.
"November 19, 2007 Wakefield, Ohio: Pike County sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call of a lion "attacking" vehicles on U.S. 23 found Terry and Vicki Brumfield trying to capture the 550-pound feline. Lambert had broken out of his pen in Piketon. Brumfield raises lions as an escape from depression and owns two lions, Lambert and Lacey. Although he says he loves his pets, Brumfield said he was prepared to shoot Lambert. Ohio doesn't require permits for exotic animals, but that would change under an Ohio House bill now in committee. Terry Brumfield faces three misdemeanor animal cruelty charges, including failure to provide his two lions with a clean, healthful environment. Pike County Humane Agent John Owens says an inspection of Brumfield's property showed that the cage where two lions were kept was caked with manure and littered with rotting animal carcasses." Here's one case of bad owners
Oh, look at this, BCR put up media propaganda again. Ok yes, this lion did escape but it DID NOT attack vehicles. Here is what happened, this is the truth because it came from the sheriff. That lion did get out, ran down the drive chasing the owner's son's car, then ran after a passing car much the same way a dog chases cars, then it ran back up the drive and the owner was able to contain it. I spoke with the sheriff who stated and I quote "Oh, the media is making this out to be a much bigger deal than it really is". The sheriff stated his lions are like big pussy cats. Now, this incident should not have happened, but here is what responsible exotic animal owners do in this case. We got together, went to Terry's home and helped him build a new enclosure. It is not complete yet, but when done, it will be built with welded steel beams and will have a perimeter fence. He was educated on caging and will follow our lead on what we taught him. No one was injured in this incident and there was no property damage, unlike the lady who was KILLED by the horse that got loose!! BCR also does not point out, that the Pike County Humane Society agent, John Ownes, over stepped his bounds and the law!! A judge ordered ALL charges to be dropped!! The cage was not caked with manure or rotting carcasses either. Yes, there were some bones left from the deer the lion ate the night before, but no rotting carcass. As for Terry being prepared to shoot his lion, that is the responsible thing to do IF the cat showed any real danger of hurting someone. I prefer the use of a tranquilizer, but they don't always work fast enough. No one would want to shoot their big cat, but if a situation presented itslef, that would be the thing to do. The best measure to prevent this, is to have proper secure caging and practice good sound animal husbandry.
So I don't know. Maybe they don't need a -ban-, but there definately needs to be stricter requirements, for EVERYTHING, really, and that includes owning cars, dogs, exotics, having children...But I doubt most of that will ever happen
No, there should NEVER be a ban. It is my as well as your right, to own the animal you so choose. But, as I have always stated, you must be responsible. I do agree with caging requirements and random routine inspections. All my cages, as well as my friends cages, far exceed what the USDA requires. Yes, Terry with the lions did not have a proper cage. If he had, this incident would not have happened. Yes, it angers me, because the animal rights extremists, will use this to try and get a ban law passed again. By the way, this bill in Ohio IS written by an animal rights group called API, Animal Protection Institute. It was not written by an Ohio legislator, but the legislator did introduce the bill. When asked questions, the legislator could not even answer them. I am guessing someone was/is getting paid by API to introduce this bill. Had this state rep had any real interest or knowledge in what he was introducing, he would have had the answers. If you ask him, he will lie to you right in your face. He will say, this bill isn't about banning, it is about regulations. But if you read the bill, you will see that it is an AR lie. It is a ban in it's worse form. The legislator who introduced the bill, NEVER EVEN READ IT!!
So in the end, the danger from someone owning a big cat is slim to none, compared to all the other dangers in the world. These ban laws must be stopped. I work hard at educating others on responsible ownership and letting people know the real truth.