Euthanization Of 32 Cats

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Tift County animal shelter in Tift County, Georgia is infected with Upper Respiratory Infections. Instead of treating the cats like a normal person, the owner decided to euthanize 32 cats in the shelter. Kittens and all. They closed adoptions and they're only allowed rescues. Please help rescue these cats, even if you can't rescue them, just spread the word to someone who can.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please help everyone. This is very time sensitive. These are from the same place that a group of us already rescued kitties. They are great kittens and cats. I can’t drive or I would already be there. Someone please step in! Only 32 people at most are needed to stop this. We have so many people on this site. We can do this!

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems really cruel that they are closing off adoptions, that really limits who can help and Upper Respiratory infection isnt that hard to vet :(

My parents live in SC right by the GA border and are thinking of another cat, but they aren't a rescue...

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Grey Lady! Also, if you can call or FB post anyone and everyone - there is a Russian Blue with babies and 7 babies with no mom. These will be as fosters so maybe someone would be willing to let them stay in there home until they are adopted out. The motherless kittens will be adopted out at an earlier age if the new family is able to raise a young kitten. (I recommend that young kittens be adopted out as pairs but that decision is not mine).

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems really cruel that they are closing off adoptions, that really limits who can help and Upper Respiratory infection isnt that hard to vet :(

My parents live in SC right by the GA border and are thinking of another cat, but they aren't a rescue...
The rescues are pulling the cats and are in charge of adopting out as well as placing the cats with fosters, so there is not an issue. There are motherless kittens, if they would consider a young kitten. Another option is to take one of the already adoptables currently in foster, thus freeing up a place in a foster home. These cat rescue ladies are amazingly adaptable! You should have seen them work miracles during Hurricane Irma! One lady wound up saving 7 dogs as well!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Tift County animal shelter in Tift County, Georgia is infected with Upper Respiratory Infections. Instead of treating the cats like a normal person, the owner decided to euthanize 32 cats in the shelter. Kittens and all. They closed adoptions and they're only allowed rescues. Please help rescue these cats, even if you can't rescue them, just spread the word to someone who can.
Found (and posted here in a separate post) the facebook page for the Friends of TCAS and shared on all my fb pages, twitter, and fb rescues/crossposters groups. *PRAYERS* that they get them all out in time.

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any update on how many are left?
UPDATE!!!!! All the kittens have been pulled!! There are some teen/adults left BUT....most of the kittens are being transported to a network in LA that we helped (well, April Carpenter did) in the spring with an apartment complex needing TNR and fosters. April will be making the connection in MS. And when she returns, she will be able to rescue the teen/adults. Not sure how many but they are less than 10, I believe. Also, the injured orange older kitten was transported to Halfway Home Rescue and received medical attention; he is on pain meds and has an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. BigEyedManx Rescue has taken in 2 manx mix cuties. A HUGE, HUGE SHOUT-OUT to Mamanyt1953 and JCatLady who were the masterminds in getting this all to happen - it truly is nothing short of miraculous! AND a super big THANK YOU to LilDude and FoxDen for your generous contributions of various resources and to everyone else here who has helped out! TCS has really saved the day!!! So many wonderful rescuers out there, both organizations and private parties. I personally feel that the connections made in this situation will continue to make good things happen. And I think that all the attention from organized groups has encouraged the cooperation of the shelter. :grouphug::thanks::rock:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now, I have seen people who like cats, and people who tolerate cats, and a 6'4" grown man cry when a kitten was brought near him, but I have never met a cat lover. Not until I joined TheCatSite. You guys spent your entire day making connections to get these cats saved. 32 cats' lives were saved because of you, whether you just shared it on the site to spread awareness or you're fostering one of the cats. Takes true cat lovers to work magic like that. :redheartpump::grouphug::redheartpump: