English Language

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Heck, I've seen business memos that are riddled with errors and more lax language. Is it kinda sad? Yes, but such is our society. ~A~
I switched my mortgage to a different lender because the document prepared for me by the first lender was riddled with errors.
I decided if they were not educated enough to prepare a legal document then they weren't capable of looking after my mortgage.

All resumes come across my desk before being forwarded. If I see a resume that is really bad in terms of spelling and grammar - it goes directly to "file 13". It is never seen again.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

standing in line ups? I've never heard of that one...
You'd say "you have to line up there", "stand in that line", "the line up is there", "I'm going to line up", etc.

Originally Posted by Yosemite

Using cheque in Canada instead of check, colour instead of color, neighbour instead of neighbor, etc. are not an issue for me. I just read it and say, oh that person is obviously American if the words are spelled incorrectly.
I work in the Canadian office of an American company and when corresponding with them regarding "cheques", I write "cheque". They reply using "check".

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How do some others of you feel about our language and it's demise?
I feel that while I get sloppy when posting on an online forum, if I let that happen in law school it's considered massive failure and time to pack my stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

I feel that while I get sloppy when posting on an online forum, if I let that happen in law school it's considered massive failure and time to pack my stuff.
But, unfortunately not everyone goes to law school. I've seen instances where teachers cannot spell or use correct grammar themselves and I fail to see how they could possibly teach our young people under those circumstances. As I told that school principal when we had our interview for our daughter, if I cannot sew I seriously doubt anyone would put me in charge of a sewing class so how can teachers who cannot spell teach spelling? When I told them I would teach her to read and spell at home, they told me I should leave the teaching to them and concentrate on being a parent. I then told them that if I felt confident that they were capable of teaching her I would do that but since I knew her teacher couldn't spell and had not been able to teach her to read, that I would do that myself at home.

A lot of parents do not have the time (and some do not have the inclination) to supplement their child's schooling and I feel sorry for those kids.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^ This was in the local paper the other day (I tend to flip through them a couple days later) and thought of you.

http://comics.com/the_born_loser/2009-04-29/
Yes, that about sums it up for me.

We had friends from Montreal (French speaking of course) that went to the southern US a few years back and they were telling us they got a real kick out of one sign in a restaurant that was offering "bojolay" as their wine suggestion of the day.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate it when people use text speak on the internet - there is plenty more room to type your message. An example is someone I know, nearing her 30s, and still cannot type proper english!

hey sis...just got ur comment, ahh i see about ur ph......thou ya got no muney on it now its stuffed...oh no mean ya myt get new one...I said on text I cldnt get time to visit ya after work any day as been busy with work and things and didnt bring car to work as i pref catch bus, easy than find a parking grrr...and tho 2 come around dis weekend...lmk if ya be home ok.. holla back?? im on fb 4 a while and am got up....xoxo
What? myt? She always says 2dae - why not say today?
I have trouble enough reading her texts but when it spills over onto the internet, I stop reading.

jezmondo69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok someone may have already said this but i hate people using double negatives, imagine the situation.....

your window gets broken and you go outside and see some youths throwing stones, you confront one and your met with
"i aint done nothing" which is a double negative, if you havn't done nothing, that means you have done something, you see?

or....

you ask your friend to loan you some cash and they say
"i aint got nothing" so if you done have nothing, thats clearly means you do have something?

hope you know what i mean!

another local one here is people saying....

bockle instead of bottle
puggle instead of puddle
miggle instead of middle etc etc

and a birmingham (uk) thing is to add "ing" on words instead of "en"...

going up the garding (garden) etc

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jezmondo69

ok someone may have already said this but i hate people using double negatives, imagine the situation.....

your window gets broken and you go outside and see some youths throwing stones, you confront one and your met with
"i aint done nothing" which is a double negative, if you havn't done nothing, that means you have done something, you see?

or....

you ask your friend to loan you some cash and they say
"i aint got nothing" so if you done have nothing, thats clearly means you do have something?

hope you know what i mean!

another local one here is people saying....

bockle instead of bottle
puggle instead of puddle
miggle instead of middle etc etc

and a birmingham (uk) thing is to add "ing" on words instead of "en"...

going up the garding (garden) etc
Aaaaand, a lot of British folks call me "Linder" instead of "Linda". Most annoying!

I also hate when people say washink instead of washing, i.e. any word ending in "ing" they pronounce "ink".