Emergency! Sick kitten! Cannot see a Vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the tips! I'd love to feed ACV to my cats but Mum hasn't been able to find any yet (either that or she hasn't looked, she isn't as passionate about pet care as I am!). I hear ACV is also good for upset stomachs?

Well Sparrow is doing very well, he's eating food about every hour and his stomach is very plump and round. He turns his nose up at the kibble though! All he wants is raw meat! I've had to pinch some that Mum was going to use for the curry tonight, luckily enough it was unseasoned! He's starting to jump on and off the furniture too, though he still refuses to realise that his litterbox is for peeing and NOT for sleeping and rolling around in!

I haven't cleaned his ears today, though by the looks of it the scab I was talking about is starting to softena  little, hopefully it'll budge when I clean him next!

Also, I just had a little bit of a scare right now. I was stroking him and feeding him raw chicken (it was a little cold) and I hear him making 'snorting' sounds like he had a blocked nose? A little bit of clear dischare came out of his nostrils too but I thought nothing of it. But then he had a little nosebleed out of one nostril. It's stopped now, thank god, but does anyone know what could have caused this? I'm really worried about him :-( Could feeding him a lot of liver have done this? He really does like his liver a lot!

Other than that there's still a lot of improvement, I just hope that he hasn't got some sort of serious disease as well as the ulcers in his mouth!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*snorting* a few times or spraying food through the nose. It maybe Upper respiratory infection ~  This little

kitten has been through ALLOT sometimes stress or a virus can bring it on, he must be kept warm, bed away from drafts or main areas of traffic needs lots of quiet time to re cooperate gain strength. If it was me I would keep him totally quarantined away from your other cats. Don't mix dishes with other cats or touch this one then touch yours, kitty boxes as well wash hands everytime. Clean, clean, clean sterilize at all times.

Not trying to scare or alarm you but best if you could find a half decent Vet to give him some stiff antibiotics regarding his mouth ulcer it maybe allot more serious.

The medication you're offering him can you share type out the whole word? Many of us have never heard of it. 

Such a Cutie ~ smart kitty <3

Last edited:

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there anything I could do to help with the URI? His nose isn't runny all the time, most of the time it's very dry and warm, it's just runny when he's sniffing his food or trying to eat. Also, the tarry poop could be because he's been swallowing his nose-bleeds, right? Though I haven't seen him bleeding before this. :-(

The medicine is Mercurius Solubilis.

I'm worried that this could be calcivirus. His other littermates died unexpectedly, too, though they showed no signs of disease. My Mum or cousin didn't check their mouths or tongues though because they think that checking their mouths is 'dirty', eventhough in most cases it can save the cat! The kittens father also died. Now it's only the mother and this kittens sister that's left :-(

She doesn't have a temperature I don't thin? She's just  warm to touch. She's stretching out and scratching things and generally being a cutie too, and has much more energy than she originally had.

Also I noticed that she has a ulcer right behind her front top teeth, as well :-( Thankfully she's still eating alright, though, so I hope all of this worrying is for nothing, I really hope she pulls through :-(

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So do all of Us  

Found this on drug   http://www.homeremedycentral.com/en/homeopathic-remedies/homeopathy/merc-sol.html

A doctor gave you this right? Can you talk to him/her inform them about the bleeding? Is it a little bit or allot? fresh blood or dark?  judgement call: it maybe better to stop giving him this med to see if his stools return to normal no blood.  He's little do you know if he's getting the correct amount according to his size?

Last edited:

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for the support.

And yes it was a doctor, one of my Mum's friend who works as a human homeopathic doctor. The blood is just a little, though she just had another small nose-bleed now because she snorted into her food bowl and a few small-ish clots came out of her nose (I had to pull them out with a rag) I'm very worried about her, she was doing so well and now it seems like it could be something serious and I'm very frightened for her :-(

She also has a slight whistle coming from her nose. There isn't really any discharge from her eyes, they just seem a little watery. Could this be calcivirus? But it doesn't make sense as to why she was fine and active before she drank the boiling hot milk, but after she drank it she began to decline. Could the burns have somehow caused a URI? Also one of the ulcers on her tongue seems to be very red, I think it's blood but I'm not too sure :-( I wish there was more I could do to help her I feel so helpless

Would if help if I heat some water and press it against her eyes/nose? What about letting her breath in some steam from a pan of hot water? Also I will ask my Mum about L-Lysine supplements, I might be able to find human-grade ones in medical stores over here. Would those be of any help? Is there anything else that I can give her? She isn't wheezing or anything when she breathes, it's just a little whistle to her nose.

Oh and I might also add that she had a little sneezing fit and shortly after that her nose began to bleed.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Hi there,

Just joining this journey with you-do you have a way to sit in the bathroom with the shower running as hot as you can get it to make a steam room? Kitten should sit on your lap closer to the top of the room to breathe the steam-this will help break up that junk in his little nose-the bleeding is probably because of the crusties drying then he sneezes and it rips it off=kind of like we have a scab and we scrap our hand and open scab-bleeding happens..do you have Vaseline or olive oil? you can put some on a cotton ball and put some inside each nostril to moisten it up-poor sweety=keep him warm-he needs to stay warm but not boiling hot-just not in a drafty way-like we get when we get a cold and don't like a chill?

also you can boil water in a pan-add thyme-drape a towel over your shoulders and head and breathe the steam with kitten under there with you-just don't let him touch the hot pan. maybe put the hot pan on a pot holder on a table and stand over it with your draped towel covered head-the steam will also help break up mucous and help him breathe better. Sounds like your baby got a bit of an upper respiratory illness-usually its viral so there is not much you can do other than keep him eating and keep that nose cleared-like we get when we get a cold. let him sleep but don't let him skip meals-he needs all the help he can get.

I hope today goes better for you guys!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hot milk did not cause the URI, which sounds like what it is. URI's come from the herpes virus. They clear easily with antibiotics. Can you see a vet for some? Otherwise, sounds like he's eating and playing well, and getting healthier in these ways. Be careful with giving homeopathic remedies to the kitten. Don't overdo the doses. Can you get lysine? it is good for their health too.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay so I was just cleaning his ears and the ear that was worse off is not utterly terrible. It's not mites it just can't be there's no crustyness and no mites that I can see? Before I'd even put the coconut oil in his ear, his ear was squelching horribly. There's a very strange looking scab wedged in one of the infoldings of his ear that just REFUSES to budge and keeps bleeding if I touch it. His skin in his ear is also peeling away like he's got eczema? I managed to pry open the ear a little too and inside is really gross... it's got this kind of pale white/yellowy/green discharge? And lots of scabs and blood, too. Could this be a yeast infection? I'm so worried for him and what's more is that I'm home alone for the two more days before Mum comes home :-( Is there anything that I can give him for a fungal infection if it is one? I tried to get a picture of it but it's very difficult. The only thing you can see if you just peer into the ear is the blood and scabs but when you look inside you can see little spots of yellow/white that don't budge no matter how hard you rub at them. The patches also go very deep, as far as I can see when I pull his ear open.

Another thing, I may have said this already but he did fall into some water the other day while he was still in the factory. It was sewage water, too. The stuff that's coming out of his ears honestly looks like poop, so it could be due to the sewage water? My cousin doesn't check their ears or anything so he doesn't know if her ears were dirty beforehand or not. This is all so frustrating.

And yes the doctor said give it 3 times a day, I'm wary at the moment though seeing as he got the tarry poops as soon as I gave him the medicine. I'm going to miss a few doses and see if the tarry poop goes away.

And I think I might be able to get some lysine, it'll probably be human grade though. I'll have to phone Mum up and ask her to look for some.

And okay I shall try the steaming! I hope it works!

Though please give me some suggestions on anti-fungal's that I could give to him. I'm very worried that the infection could spread to his middle ear :-( And I'm confused as to why it won't budge when I try and rub at it. How could he have gotten such a large scab on his ear in the first place?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The ear sounds infected, but not with fungus. It will be bacterial, and will need antibiotics to clear up. The antibiotics will clear the URI and the ear infection.

Can you get antibiotics? The sooner the better!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will the antibiotics be in an injection form or as tablets/syrup? I will ask my Mum to phone the vet and ask them for a antibiotic reference. The only problem over here is that many vets don't know what's good or bad for the animal (the same vet that I'm talking about told my Mum to give the kitten Calpol for a fever :///) so I have to do research to work out whether or not the medicine could actually kill him

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone who is farmiliar with which antibiotic would work with ear infection? I know Zithromax (5 to 7 days)  is used for upper respiratory infections. Doxycycline is used for bad infections-this one normally is given for 10 to 14 days. Some use clavamox (sp?) but I don't think that one is what you want...hoping someone chimes in??

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think his URI is too bad tbh, he isn't wheezing or anything, he just sneezes and kind of 'snorts' every so often. His nose seems to run the most when he's eating or when I'm cleaning out his ears

But yes that would be great if someone could chime in with some names of antibiotics! I'll google the ones you just mentioned rn

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you would need topical antibiotic drops directly into his ears that is for the bacteria that is present-the vet would need to take a sample of the gunk and look under a microscope to give you the proper one to use. So its hard to recommend over the internet without being able to see what exactly is going on. I wonder if coconut oil on a cottonball would help loosen any of the junk up? Or olive oil? I would think you need something that is not water soluable to penetrate the stuff and help loosen it so it doesn't bleed. I know they sell over the counter ear cleaning solution but I don't know if that would be helpful-cats are very sensitive to ingredients=what doesn't bother you or dogs would make your little mite sick so I wonder if you did a search on these threads for "ear infection" if there is any other info you could use? Poor kitten!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vets usually give clavamox or amoxicillin. It's not whether you think it's "too bad" or not. Those of us with experience know that your kitten needs antibiotics. It's usually suspension for 7-10 days!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just googled zithromax and apparently it's used for ear infections too? It's also used as a human medicine so it SHOULD be available over here! I'll look into it some more to try and work out a doseage. I just phoned my Mum and she said to stop cleaning his ears for now, maybe give it a break or too? I'm just frightened that the infection will travel to his middle-ear, it looks deep enough as it is :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I told you to leave his ear alone too!

And did you read my post #94?

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well I hope your vet can help=you really need to get that gunk cultured to make sure that it is infact bacteria. from what you say is going on it probably is-but your vet couldn't look at the ear for you? And they have stuff that can clean those ears-the infection needs to be cleaned out but obviously we don't want to cause pain.

I just found something about this: Surolan drops-but these are prescription-hoping that your vet can help!

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I just read #94! I think that these antibiotics should be able to be found in medicine stores over here, even if they are prescription, they're still available. I'll talk to my Mum about it and see if she can try and get some before she comes home. Will it be alright if theyre human-grade? Pet-shops over here don't sell medicines and I'm not sure where to get them from. The vets normally give human-grade medicine anyway.

And I don't think they do culturing over here. The vet that my cousin took Sparrow too didn't even notice that he was dehydrated and emaciated. He didn't even notice his ears! He just gave him two injections and was done with it. I'm glad that he managed to survive whatever injections were given, I'm not sure what they were as the vet didn't tell my cousin (either that or my cousin is hiding it from me??)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, human antibiotics are fine. You'll just need to give the correct dosage to your kitten.