Emergency! Sick kitten! Cannot see a Vet!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry, she will eat solids when she is ready. keep giving her soup and mush full of nutrients and offer her some minced chicken or liver everyt wo or three days. She will eventually get the idea. I wouldn't let her sleep beyond 3 hours before feeding her - cats can get to sleep again very quickly, and it you lose too much time eventually she will be missing meals. Perhaps at night let her go longer so she gets the idea that night is for sleeping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We made her a new type of soup last night and she loves it! It's got an egg-yolk in it, some boiled liver and a few pieces of raw meat, as well! She likes it much better than the other soup and is always licking her lips whenever she eats it.

Also, about one of her ears. I noticed a little bit of blood in the one that's kind of bad (it was only a little bit and came off with the cotton ball), will the coconut oil help to sooth the wound and heal it, or should I put something else in it too? That's probably why she would cry when I cleaned that ear, because she didn't like me touching her wound :-(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try leaving the ear alone for a day or two and see if it begins to heal. It's great to hear that she likes her new soup. Does she eat any of the egg or meat?

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oki I will do! And no she isn't eating on her own yet. I put some soaked biscuits out for her last night and this morning they were strewn across the floor, so many she had some? She also had some biscuit 'crumbs' around her mouth so I'm hoping she ate some! She's getting egg and raw meat in the soup though! Also, int he next round of soup that I make, should I put an entire boiled egg in, or will just the yolk be enough?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try mashing or grinding the egg and meat so that it's really tiny. It sounds like she really worked on the moistened kibble. I'd leave that out for her again. Sounds like she's learning to eat! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've finally found out what's actually wrong with her.

Alright so last week (roughly on a Saturday) my cousin gave her some VERY hot milk and the kittens lapped at it and jumped backwards because it was hot. Before this she was eating and playing and she was the right weight. Could she have lost all of this weight in just a week? Could the burn be why she isn't eating normally?

She has two ulcers on the corner of his tongue. Her gums are nice and pink in colour and there's no tartar/ulcers around her teeth. They're just on her tongue. The ulcers are red around the base and then they're like a whitish colour on top. Will they heal naturally or is there anything that I can give him to get the burns to heal quicker? Maybe if I put a little coconut oil on his tongue, would that help?

I'm worried sick and have no clue what to do! Taking him to the vet isn't an option because they will just say I'm trying to be clever by telling them what's wrong with the kitten :-( If there's anything I can give him please please PLEASE let me know, could there be any homeopathic medicine? Anything???

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the tongue is burned it will heal. Just give it time. Just love her and feed her and she should be okay.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got so scared when I saw it, I immediately suspected calcivirus and almost had a little breakdown. I talked to my homeopathic doctor though and he told me that I could give her Merc. Sol. diluted to get the burns to heal quicker and I've only given her one dose so far and the results are AMAZING! She's already so eager to eat up all her food and when I came home from tuition all of the glop that I'd left her had been gobbled down! Merc Sol is apparently good for ear infections, so if she's got any secondary ones because of the mites I'm sure this will hopefully clear them up!

Also can I give her honey for the burns? I remember putting honey on one of my cold-sores and it really helped! Would it make her tongue stick to the roof of her mouth or should it be alright?

I'm really pleased with her improvement eating wise! Though she does have a little problem of peeing wherever I'm feeding her! She thinks that her bed is for peeing and her litterbox is for sleeping

There's still the problem with her ears though. I was inspecting the worse-off one today and it's a little bloody and some of her skin seems to be 'peeling' away. Is this because of the mites? There's also a wad of dry brown stuff that just won't budge (and she yelps at me if I try and scoop it out!) will it start to soften up if I keep putting the coconut oil on it? The other ear seems to be doing alright and she doesn't mind me cleaning it tbh. There is still some gunk in it though, so again if I continue putting the coconut oil, will it start to 'surface' when she shakes her head?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I got so scared when I saw it, I immediately suspected calcivirus and almost had a little breakdown. I talked to my homeopathic doctor though and he told me that I could give her Merc. Sol. diluted to get the burns to heal quicker and I've only given her one dose so far and the results are AMAZING! She's already so eager to eat up all her food and when I came home from tuition all of the glop that I'd left her had been gobbled down! Merc Sol is apparently good for ear infections, so if she's got any secondary ones because of the mites I'm sure this will hopefully clear them up!

Also can I give her honey for the burns? I remember putting honey on one of my cold-sores and it really helped! Would it make her tongue stick to the roof of her mouth or should it be alright?

I'm really pleased with her improvement eating wise! Though she does have a little problem of peeing wherever I'm feeding her! She thinks that her bed is for peeing and her litterbox is for sleeping

There's still the problem with her ears though. I was inspecting the worse-off one today and it's a little bloody and some of her skin seems to be 'peeling' away. Is this because of the mites? There's also a wad of dry brown stuff that just won't budge (and she yelps at me if I try and scoop it out!) will it start to soften up if I keep putting the coconut oil on it? The other ear seems to be doing alright and she doesn't mind me cleaning it tbh. There is still some gunk in it though, so again if I continue putting the coconut oil, will it start to 'surface' when she shakes her head?
Now when you mention it, I remember I saw this advice earlier.  But preferably not commercial honey where it was processed in a big factory, with massive heating and perhaps even pasteurizing.

The recipe is for the so called raw honey, or honey made by small home producers, who essentially just clean it somewhat, and essentially pour into the cans.  Heating done is just to 40C, to be sure the honey is flowing.   As fresh as you can get, if you can choose.

Such honey contains much enzymes and also some natural antibiotics   While heated up in big factories so its really fluid, breaks down many of these.  Its somewhat as with the pasturizing of milk.

Yes, such honey can be used for many easier remedicas, skin conditions, scratches, even easier burns.  They say.

If the honey is too sticky, you can have a water solution.  Use perhaps a small brush, alike for water-colors, to smear the solution.

Although my guess is, the unpasterized buffalo milk she got as food, was already helping somewhat in this.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think many things are processed in a factory over here. We got the honey in a huge tub, no labels or anything just a tub of honey. I think it's organic with no chemicals, either. I doubt there are alot of branded honey factories over here, most of the things we eat comes straight from a farm! The animals are generally free-range and pasturised too!

Also he's starting to eat by himself finally! He was yelling at me this morning and I put out some food for him (it was a thick gruel) and he began lapping it all up. He ate about half of it before he decided to go to the toilet. Is it a problem that he does a pee straight after he eats?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very good that he goes toilet straight after eating. Most kittens do! Some also go before. Things are sounding good! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, I hope he continues to improve!

The only problem is that just now he did a poop (he didn't do a poop yesterday as far as I was aware) and it had a black tarry end to it. The rest was a brown colour. It was slightly soft but still firm enough. I heard that blood in poop could be very serious, or could it just be due to the amount of liver etc. he's been eating? Otherwise he's alright, there's no vomiting or anything and he's still eating his food normally (although he does snort a little when he gobbles it down too fast). It was just the end of the poop that was tarry, the rest seemed alright.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds fine for now. No worries. I'm pleased with his progress. The ear may need an antibiotic though.

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, alright, I'll keep an eye on it. This is the first time it's happened, too. His other poops were brown-yellow and firm. He does them all in one long plop rather than small sausage shapes like Indie and Butty though. Fingers crossed it was just a one time thing! Could it have just been blood from the ulcers on his tongue?

He's asleep at the moment though, I've also noticed that he seems to stretch out a lot more than when he orininaglly came to me. Then, he wouldn't be able to get comfy and would shift and turn every few seconds and let out soft wails. Is his peaceful sleeping a sign that he's getting better?

His ear seems to be doing alright, I'll look into potential antibiotics for him if the scabs/bleeding hasn't stopped by the end of this week. The homeopathic medicine I'm giving him for his tongue also works for ear infections, so hopefully if he DOES have an ear infection it should clear up with the medication! Fingers crossed that everything continues to go smoothly.

Another thing, when he breathes his whole stomach doesn't move anymore? Like it feels as if his ribcage has kind of shifted upwards. When he first came his whole body would kinda heave when he was breathing (there was no wheezing though you could just really see his ribs moving as well as his stomach). Now that doesn't happen and his breathing is much more 'subtle' and similar to my normal cats. Is this because his tummy is nice and round now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All the things you are noticing are due to his feeling safer, healthier, and more relaxed. Everything you are doing makes him better. All good! Congrats! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also I'll take some more pictures of him today to show you all, he's a little dirty around the mouth though and his ears are a little greasy because of the oil, but I don't want to give him a bath until he's got a little bit of fat on him!

I'm glad that he's improving so much, it's only been three days since I've got him! Hopefully he'll 100% better in a few weeks time, so I can introduce him to Indie and Butty!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, we hope so too! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
!!! He was just mewling at me for food so I gave him some solid liver and he took to it like a pro! He ate an entire liver in one go and licked his lips and went back to sleep! He's also starting to whack his paw at anything that moves to improve!

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the scalding milk.  Good for you for making some progress 

The ears Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted with water) kills yeast infections have never experienced mites but if you do a search that may help. If not you may need antibiotics from the Vet to clean them up it can become very serious if permitted to grow get worse.

Kitties ear/s may need to be flushed out http://viim.org/dog-cat-ear-infections-chronic-resistant.php

(*Leary about Tea tree oil its suggested but it can be toxic)

Adding ACV  great for many things http://www.thecatsite.com/t/246382/apple-cider-vinegar-and-c

The labored breathing could be a sign of a heart murmur, kittens can grow up and out of it

with monitoring good diet stress free environment and if not serious..

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This all sounds wonderful. You are doing a great job. Don't overdo the liver, it is very rich, though a little is good.