Emergency! Sick kitten! Cannot see a Vet!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It really is! She's doing super great now, and I'm finally happy with her weight! Her bones aren't sticking out at all anymore, in fact she's starting to get kinda  podgy so I'm trying to work around how much I should feed her. She asks for food ALL of the time, so I've limited her intake a lot, which she doesn't seem to mind too much. She's also SO energetic! Probably one of the most energetic kittens I've ever seen! She never ever runs out of energy, and loves to bully the other two boys.

Butty has started to try and mount her, but yet again she's just yelling at him and swatting at him and he learns his lesson and stops what he's doing. We're monitoring them constantly too, and whenever we hear her yelp we go and check to see if everything's alright.

And I don't think animals coming in is a real big problem at my place, everything is REALLY well closed off, like literally screwed down into bricks and concrete and everything. And the mesh that we've used is really strong. We don't have any possums or rats in our neighbour-hood either. The only animals that DO come in are sparrows, but that's only because we have the back door open and they fly through the bars and inside. The other day Indie actually managed to catch one but I saved it before he managed to kill it :-)

And I was pretty sure that cats have seasons?? Indie doesn't wail AT ALL during the winter, it's just as soon as the weather starts getting warmer when he starts howling? He also just mounts Butty during the summer too, during the winter he's generally really quiet and only meow's at us to tell us something or if he wants us to play with him, he's very talkative :-)

One thing that Mum talked about was an injection for cats? Like I have no idea why she won't just outright spay them, but she said that it's possible to get like some sort of hormone injection that takes them out of heat? But if cat's don't get into heat at all anyway, I don't see how that would really work :/
They do make a sort of "birth control" for cats. It is an injection or it can be given to them in their food. It stops them from ovulating. So they don't go into heat and they can't get pregnant.

I would imagine that it would be cheaper and better for her to just spay her. But I have no clue what such "birth control" costs as I have no experience with it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, no seasons at all for boys.

You really shouldn't leave sparrow and the boys alone for even a second. Mating is super fast and could be over before you hear something. If he's mounting her you are going to have babies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
  just get the boys neutered and problem solved. I don't understand why this hesitation with spaying and neutering. the females need spaying due to mammory  and uterine cancers. its just so much better. Don't worry about what everyone else does. Do what is best for your animals. you don't have the recsources to spay a litter of kittens so spay the mom cat and neuter the boys otherwise you will have 20 cats in a year. then what will you do? its cruel to bring kittens into the world and not have money to support. when will you be old enough legally to be an adult? Maybe its soon so you can get the cats fixed yourself.

hope you can get this resolved. SOON!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I also cannot understand your mothers aversion to neutering or spaying, but yet she is mentioning a birth control method for Sparrow!!!  

It does not make any sense. 

Does she understand that it will cost more in the long run to buy the birth control, rather than a one time spay and neuter---even all the cats???

Does she understand how difficult and unreliable it is to give medications to animals????

It is just really hard for me to understand what she is processing in her mind.

Honestly, if one cat is mounting Sparrow, then it will not be long for her to become pregnant!!!   It does not take long...You cannot count of Sparrow to keep the boys away. 

She is a teenager now and will be going in heat any day now. That is all it takes. The boys will know she is fertile before you do. Remember, she will ovulate before she gets her menses....You will not know when. 

I am just sitting here, shaking my head...

sorry if I am harsh...

BTW---Good for you on the exams... How did they go?

Taking an MCAT, at your age...amazing.. you are truly a genius!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girls go into heat, boys don't. Boys respond (at any time) to females in heat and that's why toms get antsy during mating season---they can smell the ladies out there!

Look up "induced ovulation". This is how female cats' reproductive systems work. They don't ovulate until they're mated, unlike, say, humans or dogs, who drop eggs on a schedule no matter what and have to mate within a certain time period for the sperm to match up with the eggs. This means that ANY time a female cat is mated---whether she's in heat or not, whether it's by force or not---the mating process will induce her ovaries to drop eggs and she has a high chance of becoming pregnant. She'll go into heat to attract males, but this isn't the only time she's fertile. Mating in cats is very quick, only takes a few seconds, so you may not know she's been successfully mated until she's visibly pregnant. And she may not have time to chase the male off before the deed is done. So now that she's gotten to this age I'd recommend keeping them separated all the time.

There is hormonal birth control for cats, available in some countries. American vets don't like to use it but I understand it's pretty commonly used in many parts of Europe. It's a progesterone shot, which tricks the cat's body into believing she's already pregnant so she won't drop any eggs. It's intended for short-term use only, as there are side effects that can occur with long-term use. There are no birth control methods for males that render them sterile without surgery or chemical castration (not sure of the availability of that), although progesterone shots for males can make them more "girly" and less interested in mating. They'd still be fertile though, if their instincts took over and they mated anyway.

If she intends to get the progesterone shot for Sparrow she'd better hurry. Sparrow may be pregnant already though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everything is all good with baby sparrow! She's growing up to be a very handsome young cat, though she's still a little small for her age (and VERY light boned!), she's eating well and she never seems to run out of energy :-) So far, no pregnancy scares either, touch wood!

However, my cousins cat has got some sort of flea? But I'm sure they're not fleas because they seem to have wings? I've googled literally EVERYWHERE but i can't find what type of bug they could be and how to get rid of them :-( He said that they run away with using vinegar, but they don't LEAVE. the majority of them around under her chin area and she seems to be losing some hair due to all the scratching. I can't bring her here either, because I don't want my babies to get them.. I've sent my Dad over there though to examine her, and he said that apart from a few wounds from the scratching and a little bit of hair loss, she seems fine.

Does anyone know what type of bug this could be? They're long and browny-red and can fly (seeing as they have wings)

I told my cousin to spray her with neem water but that doesn't seem to help (eventhough he's been spraying them frequently, but I doubt he's been spraying them every day like I said) :-( I told my Dad to give her a bath today, and I was wondering if normal human anti-lice shampoo (diluted of course) would help her out? I would really like to stick with the natural things, but I'm pretty sure if they WERE fleas they would've gone by now with all the vinegar and neem my cousin's been using!

Also, here are some recent pictures of baby sparrow, she's getting really big now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

indie-n-button

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OLSO! Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been here for months I'm so sorry :-0 I've been very busy with life! And I'm preparing for the MCAT too now (have I already told you that?? I can't remember!) Oh! And my SAT score also came a few days ago, and I got 2300 out of 2400!! :-))

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not use a human lice control on a cat, no matter how diluted. There are many ways to get rid of parasites, some natural you could look up on the internet. As a lat resort there are many sold at pet stores. I pay a little more for the ones you put on the back of the neck, those work very well, just make sure you get it applied up high, almost between the ears. so they can't lick it, it makes them foam! Sparrow is beautiful! You have done well by her, I hope she brings you many years of joy!