Dumping Season Has Begun..

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking that she may be a kitten herself which would make her belly look really huge compared to her small size.

The little cat I TNR'd last spring had babies mid-April, TNR'd in June after nursing. She was so tiny and gained weight and size after pregnancy. I estimated that she got pregnant right around 5 months old. She's still less than 8 pounds full grown (and spayed).

Just thinking out loud. Hope she has them soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That would make sense. I've been sure she was close for 2 weeks now lol. She has gotten alot bigger these last 2 weeks. But still no kittens. I get up every 3 hours at night to check on her, and I'm sure the one night I done will be the night she has them!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The suspense is killing me!

Well, I guess she'll have them when she is ready. One of my rescues, Susy, looked like she's swallowed a basketball when she first turned up. She was so skinny and she's still a very small cat. She only had two kittens. Hopefully your girl is going to have a healthy litter soon.

Fingers crossed.

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having them now! She just started pushing about 5 min ago! Wish us luck!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! How exciting!

Please keep us posted with how things are going. I hope it's easy for her.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First one is 86 grams. What should they weigh on average?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good! 80 to 110 grams / 2.8 to 3.9 oz is average.

Momma cat is so tiny, that's a good weight for the kitten.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok the kitten is meowing and has been trying to latch. But even with my help isn't opened its little mouth. Is it ok? All the other kittens I've had have latched right away. Its whining and looking but not opening and latching. Mom is doing good so far. She didnt take the kitten out of the sac or cut the cord. But once I helped her she ate the placenta and started cleaning off the kitten.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We need some kitten experts with experience. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 - are you around?

I think it's ok for the kitten not to latch for a few minutes, maybe longer.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you! I put her right by the nipple and she roots around and is crying but just not latching.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Put her mouth right up to a nipple. If she does not latch, put honey on her gums, and even slowly syringe a few drops of kitten formula into her mouth.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I've been putting her mouth to the nipple for the last 20 min and she just wont latch but shes crying. I bought KMR so I'll try that. Thank you! Still only 1 kitten.

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2nd and 3rd kitten out. First hasn't latched yet even using the kmr. 2nd kitten was 110 grams and 3rd was 105 g

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
3rd kitten

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Big kittens for such a tiny little momma. She was pretty huge though. Do you think there are more?

That little pregnant kitten I TNR'd last year had 4 kittens in her litter. Hard to imagine her holding that many!

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if she has more or not cant tell. None of them have latched yet. Her nipples seem small to me but I dont know.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to find any article that says how long it's ok for kittens to go without nursing. No luck yet.

Do you have an emergency vet's number just in case they don't start eating? Or are you prepared to bottle feed?

Kacy A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I've got everything prepared and have done it before. The 1st kitten just latched for the first time! She isn't staying latched for long but that's progress! I'm going to give them some more time to figure it all out! Mom is tired and sleeping. I feel what I think is another kitten when I rub her belly but I'm not sure. For right now shes resting.