Do you talk to your cats?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@ConiKat   When I went to  a wildlife park to see Scottish Wildcats recently, and after about half an hour was finally the only person there watching them, I too talked to them.  It was incredibly special once I was alone with them as they changed from being agitated and pacing around their enclosures to being still, bathing and resting, and the large male taking a drink of water from his bowl right in front of where I was standing.    In a very quiet, gentle voice I kept saying how beautiful and special they were and how I wished they had more space to roam there.   Thanked them for being still and allowing me to be there with them.  Apologized for the ignorant people who had been there a few moments before, running about and shouting and screaming.

I don't think I would be brave enough to reach out and touch their enclosure though, I suspect any close exchange of scent would be too threatening and invasive for them.  Scottish Wildcats are known for being extremely shy.

puffball1355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love talking to my kitty I just chat up a storm while she lies there on the floor she dont talk much but I definetely do

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure do. He loves when I tell him " Mommy is going to bed now, wanna sleep with Mommy?" The look of pure relief says it all.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I think we all talk to our cats. We love it since they will usually just sit and listen to us. Shadow will just sit beside me and look up at me. I can only imagine what he may be thinking??

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
like a lot of others on here i will also talk to stray cats i see when out in public. Also always make friends with my friends cats too. I can never have enough cat friends!

i think my cats favorite phrase must be "Mommy feed?!"

puffball1355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
like a lot of others on here i will also talk to stray cats i see when out in public. Also always make friends with my friends cats too. I can never have enough cat friends!

I used to but no a days I dont get around town much to meet new kitty friends sadly
i think my cats favorite phrase must be "Mommy feed?!"

puffball1355

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It didnt add what I said on the end oh well

I used to but now a days I dont get around town much to meet new kitty friends

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I speak to my cats and any others i see when.I'm going shopping.
To think i was hysterically terrified of cats and dogs as a child..Thank you mum and dad if you're watching.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they are ( or were ) very happy cats. I finally have a few photos posted in the cats n kitten and RV cats section, so you can see some of them.
My normally quiet oldest girl went kind of nuts this afternoon. She yowled and yowled while staring out the window, then started using Paxi's voice! This really did flip me out for a while!

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somehow I just felt her gentleness. She did come to me after all, I wasn't invading her space at the time. Besides, that slow blink spoke volumes ( along with the purr). I guess I just felt safe, as she must have too. A friend of mine raises Savannahs and also had a Bobcat. She was pretty special too, and you can get up close and personal with her.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I go outside to feed my not so feral kitties anymore, I yell, " Babies, Breakfast, Babies!'' And they come running.  Morning and evening.  That's their call.

conikat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That just might be one of the cutest kittens I've ever seen! So fluffy and soft looking, with the lovely pale color too.
Yummy, want!!!!
ConiKat

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do talk to my cats, also I do meow to them, I have learned few of their sounds and they seem to understand those, it makes life easier when I can call them so that they will come, for example when it is time to get back indoors, also they know few hand signals too.

There are few words that they do recognize, two different kinds of food that they don't get often and also when I can't let them out even they want they understand when I say not now and move away from door.

Few also understand hunting and mouse, which is handy when some mice is around, there is just too many of mice and similar here and cats need to reduce number of those.

But I do also talk nonsense to them, it makes them more trustful and relaxed.

I talk to birds too, when I fill bird feeder I ask them to move aside for a moment :D
Often I do whistle to them though, I have learned some of bird sounds, ones they make when there is no more danger and when they find seeds, I'm not sure if I can make sounds properly, but birds seem to stay bit closer then.

I guess I talk more to animals than humans, well here is more animals than humans, so maybe that is not so weird.

Every mammal is worth to talk to, even mouses that cats catch, I usually say sorry to them, if they just would stay in forest they would not get eaten.

Even animals don't have very complex languages, they do communicate and being able to communicate even at some level with them is something that I want to learn.

With cats it is more about discouraging or encouraging than talking about weather, they are kind of expressing their feeling or emotion, they may have some desire in their mind, to encourage there is higher pitch and rising pitch sounds and to discourage there are lower pitch sounds and those that decrease in pitch, but head + hand/shoulder movement should match the sound too as cats look whole body to read messages, it is easy to give conflicting messages and then cat is just confused.

Because of their ability to read whole body, they usually know what I'm up to before I do and then talking is not necessarily at all :D

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all cat owners talk to their cats. Speedboat would always get vocal and answer when he was talked to. Years ago we went on a trip across country. My dad came over everyday and checked on the cats while we were gone. We had an answer machine hooked up to the telephone. I called home regularly and let the answer machine pick up. Then I recorded a message to our cat. :nod:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just Angel & I here, so yes, I talk to him ALL the time, & am always making up songs, or changing lyrics to one & singing to him too!  I'm sure if he could roll his eyes at me & say, "Oooh mommy!" he would! 

"Just a few examples,"

Don't walk on mommy while I'm sleeping!

It's not breakfast time yet!

Gimmy kisses, ...Thank you!

Your a silly monkey!

Good boy!

Do you see the squirrely out there?

Your awful sassy, Did you put on your sassy pants today? LOL!

NO, NO, Stop chewing your belly!

Ready for din, din?

Night, Night time.

Thank you for choosing me to be your mommy

I love you.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   I've been more aware of what I say when talking with Mouse this week.   Here are a few of my regulars:

Hello Beastie, what have you been up to?

No, no, don't chew that.

Oooh, what have you been doing today?   Sleeping?   Layzee boy.

Want a fish snack? Num-a-num.

Oh no!

Come on, bed time.

You're just teazing.  I know you'll run off and play if I come to snuggle that belly.

Ha ha.  Gotcha!

batiste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've always talked to my cats, and they've always seemed to like it. .  .  I even go one step further and make up songs for my cats. OK , you guys will think I'm crazy but when I adopted Peaches I thought up a son for her.  Here it goes....

Hello my name is Peaches, I hope that you like that.  And if you take me home with you I'll be your very best cat!

Officially nuts, but I'm a composer at heart (though not a very good one) must have been 11 years year's of piano lessons....
I sing songs to my cat too. Here's a common one, sung in a higher octive ofc, "who's that kitty in the wiiinnndow *slight pause*, thats Lawny! That's Lawny everybody". *repeat*

I'll step up the lunacy of love a notch w/ another (my cat is a solid guy and likes butt pats), so while patting the sides of his rear haunches, one hand each side, "Hambone hambone who's that cat, hambone hambone whose that cat. Hambone *pat pat* Hambone". The rhythm makes the tune. I could go on. So yeah, me too... I talk and sing to my boy, and he comes running every morning from his window perch without fail as I lumber out of bed... he wants food, but despite hunger, he is always purring when I pick him up and sing him a song before breakfast. :)

Im new here, and unsure if we can post links. This video clip has always been a favorite. Its topical bc, speaking of singing to cats (too funny), it is a clip of a musician being interviewed (John Frusiante -arguably one of the best contemporary guitarists, and formerly in one of the biggest rock bands of all-time)... and secondly, w/in the clip he discusses how his "talking with cats" is on an even more far-out level!

I hope the Mods allow this link. I think most of you will like...
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have just re read this whole thread again and its so lovely that we all talk (and sing) to our cats and other animals. It really makes me smile.

Batiste,
links to you tube videos are not allowed, I found this out a little while ago.
You have to embed the video. If you don't know how (I didn't) here is the link to show you how::D

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/239275/please-embed-youtube-videos#post_3151064