Do you talk to your cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just catching up with this thread and smiling the whole way through!
It really is heart warming knowing that we all chatter away (and sing) to our babies. I really believe they listen and enjoy it as much as we love to hear them meow at us.

Kat0121, I know exactly what you mean about the strong silent type, my Sasha is like that and you just know by the expressions they make that they are communicating back. The only time she makes a noise is when she is in her carrier on the way to the vet so I know she has a voice in there! :lol3:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over 45 years ago when my stewball went to rainbow bridge i was no longer in England. My mum wrapped her in a white sheet and she was buried in the back garden with a rose bush planted above her.
One day, apparently, mum was out gardening and she pruned stewball's rose bush and talked to her with the appropriate kitty voice we have and suddenly the next door neighbour popped his head over the fence and asked if she was talking to him!! She said she felt embarrassed. Poor mum.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just catching up with this thread and smiling the whole way through!
It really is heart warming knowing that we all chatter away (and sing) to our babies. I really believe they listen and enjoy it as much as we love to hear them meow at us.

Kat0121, I know exactly what you mean about the strong silent type, my Sasha is like that and you just know by the expressions they make that they are communicating back. The only time she makes a noise is when she is in her carrier on the way to the vet so I know she has a voice in there!
  Sophie is a one note pony. It's one noise fits all situations. That noise is, "ACK!"

Lily on the other hand trills, meows, mews, talks, etc. When she talks, she sounds like a little girl of about 2. I was in Henry's room the other night and the girls were in the living room. I very clearly heard, "HELLOOO?"    "Mommy?"  She's a talented girl.
   DD is back at school so it's just me and the furkids.

@Stewball your Mum sounds like our kind of person.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:)   Sophie is a one note pony. It's one noise fits all situations. That noise is, "ACK!

Lily on the other hand trills, meows, mews, talks, etc. When she talks, she sounds like a little girl of about 2. I was in Henry's room the other night and the girls were in the living room. I very clearly heard, "HELLOOO?"    "Mommy?"  She's a talented girl. :lol3:    DD is back at school so it's just me and the furkids

@Stewball
your Mum sounds like our kind of person. :)
She was. Long gone now though. She'd be 99 this year if she was still around.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I most certainly do talk to my cats. Years ago we took a vacation and left our cat at home. My dad came two times a day and took care of her. We had an answer machine on the dresser in the bedroom where she was confined. I called home, let the machine pick up so I could leave a message. I talked sweet talk to her until the recording cut off. Aren't we silly the things we do with our cats.:lol3:

spoon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought everyone talked to their cat.  Just as I thought all cats talked to their person.    

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn't not talk to them. They are our babies after all. My human children get cross when I talk to the cats about their 'brother and sister'!!! Silly pair. My furry babies don't mind. ;-)

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves it if I talk to him, and gets jealous if I talk to anybody BUT him lol!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thinking about this some more: I suspect Mouse assumes that when anyone is talking in this apartment they must be talking to him.  After all, from his perspective he is the only being worthy of attention. 

This might explain why he appears as soon as there is any conversation going on or when someone is chatting on the phone / Skype / Face Time, and makes sure he is in the middle of everything physically even if not joining in with the chatter.  He likes to be on the same level as everyone in the conversation too, if everyone is standing he likes to be held at shoulder height, if he's left at floor level he meows, squeaks and stretches up against legs until someone picks him up.
   (He does sometimes still jump up on to my chest and gets me to hold him that way if not picked up so best to pick up before he gets to that stage).  

Today has been a fairly constant series of 'What do you want?' from me in the sitting room as Mouse squeaks from the kitchen, and me saying 'No' as he pulls envelopes and paper out from a magazine rack at the other end of the sofa I've been sitting on. 
    Just now all is quiet other than purrs because he's clambered up on my left arm for snuggles, and kisses on his head.... 

Last edited:

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats love their theme songs " my best friend " to Rose and " sweet sweet fantasy Catness" I'm just plain silly when it comes to them.

fingerlakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yuuuup!  The siamese in mine makes it impossible not to!  LOL. Lola is a talker! I have a parrot too that talks.. Lola likes to stalk him when he's out and about, but Dickie(The parrot) doesn't take any crap from Lola and chases her away..  haha.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to talk to my cat stewball back in England when he was putting her into the kitchen for the night but he called her Henry!!!!

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am loving these stories! 
 The best part of my day is talking to Speedy!!!

Speedy just settled down for a nap and as she was drifting asleep, I found myself whispering "you're so cute . . .   you're so cute . . . . you're so cute"!

I had to laugh at myself because it is like I am sending her positive reinforcement in her sleep!!  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thinking about this some more: I suspect Mouse assumes that when anyone is talking in this apartment they must be talking to him.  After all, from his perspective he is the only being worthy of attention. :nod:  :lol3:     This might explain why he appears as soon as there is any conversation going on or when someone is chatting on the phone / Skype / Face Time, and makes sure he is in the middle of everything physically even if not joining in with the chatter.  He likes to be on the same level as everyone in the conversation too, if everyone is standing he likes to be held at shoulder height, if he's left at floor level he meows, squeaks and stretches up against legs until someone picks him up. :rub:    (He does sometimes still jump up on to my chest and gets me to hold him that way if not picked up so best to pick up before he gets to that stage).  

Today has been a fairly constant series of 'What do you want?' from me in the sitting room as Mouse squeaks from the kitchen, and me saying 'No' as he pulls envelopes and paper out from a magazine rack at the other end of the sofa I've been sitting on. :lol3:     Just now all is quiet other than purrs because he's clambered up on my left arm for snuggles, and kisses on his head.... :heart3:  
I love kissing the tops of their heads.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah its nice to see everyone is still chatting away to their beloved babies. :D
stewball stewball yes! Kissing the top of their soft little head. My Sasha positively rams her head into mine when I kiss it but Amber isnt so keen, when I go to kiss her head she will duck and if I keep trying she ends up flat on the sofa or wherever else she is sitting!:lol3:
catspaw66 catspaw66 wow a Lynx in your yard, that must be a beautiful sight to see, a teeny bit scary but beautiful.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I come home I like to pick Speedy up and kiss her and say . . . . .I wuv you . . . .I wuv you  . . . . .i wuv you . . . . .

She looks really shy and embarrassed when I do that, but she knows I love her!  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

When I come home I like to pick Speedy up and kiss her and say . . . . .I wuv you . . . .I wuv you  . . . . .i wuv you . . . . .

She looks really shy and embarrassed when I do that, but she knows I love her!  
LOL. They can pretend all they want. They love it when we shower them with affection. Sophie does not like to be held but she loves affection. If I'm giving her cuddles and kisses, she will tolerate being held for a minute or so. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, I talk to them in Japanese and in English. They understand both languages perfectly. :lol3:

Anyone else have bilingual cats?
I don't any more, but I had a bilingual cat when I was a kid. He was Jamie, a British Cream Shorthair, and brother/protector/guardian to the first cat that was truly 'mine'.
Anyway...we had an Indian friend who Jamie really liked. She used to speak to him in Bengali and he'd respond every time. She'd even give him directions (ie go and sit on my purse) and, without fail, he'd do as she asked! One of the most extraordinary things I've seen!

And yes, I talk to my cats (dogs, horses) all the time. I talk to anyone else's too! Asha has to be the one who talks back the most though...I've never had such a vocal cat.