Do you take your shoes off?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother always had people take their shoes off before entering the house. Me, I don't care if they wear them. I take mine off the minute I get home. I like being barefoot. If I go to someone else's home, I don't take my shoes off, unless it is their custom to remove your shoes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

I hate to say this, but when I saw the title, my first thought was the poster was Canadian! This was a topic at an etiquette forum and one reason for taking shoes off (besides being wet or muddy) was that the house had pine floors and that's a soft wood.

If I enter a house where shoes are to come off, I hope my hosts are courteous enough to provide a seat where I can sit to put them back on. I have some physical limitations and it is hard to stand and bend to tie my shoes.
right you are, i'm Canadian!

Of course I make exceptions, obviously if someone has shoes that have a lot of laces and will only be in for a second, or someone who has problems taking off their shoes b/c of physical limitations, it's totally fine.

What I have a problem with is people who don't even think about it and don't ask.

But I wonder why it's more a Canadian thing versus an American thing?

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it must be more of a Canadian thing. I'd never been to a house where I was asked to remove my shoes, and I would agree with other posters that I would be offended if someone came into my house and took their shoes off without asking first. It would seem presumptuous and making themselves too at home, unless of course it was a very close friend or family member.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate wearing shoes so if at all possible the shoes come off. I have a few close friends and family members that I don't even ask any more. But for the rest of the world, I either mimic my host or hostess or ask.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

It actually never occurs to me!

I guess we were raised to leave shoes on, I don't remember!

But in my house my shoes come off as soon as I'm in, because I hate having shoes on!!

Thats me... My cousin just put in new carpet and she wants everyone to remove their shoes. So I do it because she asks us too. Normally I ask if I see a pile of shoes by the door. At my house I'm the only one to take off my shoes by the door because I hate shoes....

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
me too. I actually tell my guests to not bother and to leave them on if they want unless its very muddy outside.

I just want people to be comfortable and I have hardwoods so its not a problem to spot clean up...

Also, the kits track litter even though I sweep around their boxes once a day.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Around here, it would be an insult to walk into someone's home and take them off. I rarely wear shoes in the house, so if I am at a good friend's house, I will normally kick them off. In the summer, I usually don't wear shoes outside either. I am the person that always has dirty feet!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Around here, it would be an insult to walk into someone's home and take them off. I rarely wear shoes in the house, so if I am at a good friend's house, I will normally kick them off. In the summer, I usually don't wear shoes outside either. I am the person that always has dirty feet!

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
with white carpet i def take my shoes off when i come in
and i take my shoes off when i visit other ppls houses,only polite i my mind.

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on the area of the country. Amost no one I know in my area does it. Everyone does it in Alaska, so when we're visiting our friend who lives there, off the shoes come. Otherwise, I will kick them off if I notice a pile by the door, or, if I have reason to ask (they are walking around without shoes or the carpet looks new), I will ask and do what they want.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I take mine off when I come home, but only take them off in other people's home if that is what they do. It is very common in Hawaii to see a pile of shoes or even a shoe rack outside of people's homes. I like the custom, it keeps the street dirt out of the house.

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

There are 2 things that come off STAT in my house...shoes and bra! I only take my shoes off at other people's homes if I'm asked to...same goes with my bra!
someone has asked you to take your bra off before you enter there home??

hmmm... interesting

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Talon

I want to start a trend in the office - take your shoes off and show us your stockings or ssocks! This, I would grow to like a great deal!!!!
lol if i get a camera phone i will do this for you!

roxy_loves_cj

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I HATE bras, the come off right away! i take my shoes off cause I dont want to get spots on my carpet and lose my deposit. I put a big area rug in my living room though so other people dont have to. In this area its about 50% 50% on the shoe thing though, its not uncommon, but not everyone does it. I love shoes so I dont mind wearing them. When I grew up my parents had the most horrible orange carpet (the same color as our orange tabby, he would blend in and we would step on him cause he was hard to see!) so it was never a big deal to have shoes in the house. Now my parents have new carpet, kinda white and they try to keep their shoes off but they dont tell me or anyone else to.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, I agree. The SECOND thing that comes off when I get home is the shoes. The FIRST is the bra! And I never wear a bra when I stay home, which is most of the time.

You don't like the looks of a 63 year old woman wearing a sweatshirt or tee without a bra? Then CALL BEFORE YOU COME!

mferr84

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ladies, how can you go bra-less so often.

TMI.. but mine kinda hurt if I do, so I dont go braless as much as I would like to(just to bed).

I am jealous

I have to say though, I am just the opposite. I only wear southern unmentionables when I go out somewhere(usually
)... NEVER at home, they come off with the shoes

Just thought I would add since we are sharing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mferr84

I have to say though, I am just the opposite. I only wear southern unmentionables when I go out somewhere(usually
me too! the bra, underwear and shoes all come off - yay!

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by mferr84

Ladies, how can you go bra-less so often.

TMI.. but mine kinda hurt if I do, so I dont go braless as much as I would like to(just to bed).

I am jealous

Just thought I would add since we are sharing
I'm assuming you are large busted...I am as well. I've been wearing a bra since the 4th grade. If I could get away with it, I'd never wear one, but I'd probably get arrested for assaulting strangers on the street...bam, pow, slap right in the kisser!