Diatomaceous Earth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really?! Oh no! I'm going to look up those medications, and I was already looking to move over to banfield vets.

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She can't use any of those meds. She's only 6 weeks. Idk what to do. Everything seems like it'll kill her and dawn doesn't kill eggs. I'll bathe her anyway and consult with another vet.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any other private clinic near you? I'm not a big fan of Banfield in general either, sorry to say. But maybe you'll get lucky. If you are on your guard about not being pushed into unnecessary treatments or tests or procedures......maybe it will be okay. You have this forum to help you, at least. Watch out for their "packages", remember that even if it sounds like a good deal, they are out to make money, not save the consumer money. And don't let them tell you declawing will "improve your relationship" with Meow Meow. I went head to head over that issue with a Banfield public relations person in another forum about that a few years ago. Unfortunately the forum is now defunct or I'd link you to the discussion. It was outrageous.

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*Gasp* I'd never declaw meow meow! There's no need for that. I feel like if someone is more concerned about furniture and curtains, then they shouldn't get pets cuz they sometimes mess things up. It happens. I feel like I'm getting more informed as I read through the forums here. I'm leaning towards banfield because, honestly, I can't really afford paying out of pocket for all the visits and meds she'll need. I don't want her to suffer anymore than she has, and definitely not because I'm poor.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, as long as you keep yourself informed and are able to not be pushed around, and take the stand of a partner with the vet in Meow Meow's care, working as a team rather than just following everything the vet says, you will be okay, even with Banfield. It can take some time to find a vet who likes that kind of pet owner/vet relationship, but they are out there.

In two more weeks she will be able to have a topical flea treatment. She'll most likely need a de-worming treatment too. Ifyou use kitten revolution, that will take care of roundworms and hookworms and mites, but she will need droncit for the tapeworm.

I would keep combing her and drowning the fleas a few times a day, and use the DE on her bedding, let it sit, then shake it out well, OR wash her bedding daily. DE kills eggs and larva, so if some residue is left in her bedding and gets on her fur, that will be a good thing too, and it won't hurt her to ingest it, either.

And vacuum vacuum vacuum!

It's soap that kills the fleas, they drown in soapy water. So get a jar of soapy water (dawn is good) and a jar of clean water and as you comb out the fleas swish the flea comb in the soapy water then dip it in the clean water and comb again. After a combing session dry Meow Meow gently. :)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frontline spray is apparently safe to use on 6 week old kittens. Here is a thread that mentions this as a safe treatment (http://www.thecatsite.com/t/253014/revolution-safe-for-6-week-old-kitten). I also know I read somewhere that there was a new kitten revolution for those under 8 weeks but I can't seem to find it so hopefully maybe a vet would know. 
Good info! I couldn't find anything on kitten revolution either, but I KNOW Queen Eva was given a dose of kitten revolution when I rescued her. It was definitely NOT a usual 8 weeks and up dose, it was specifically for kittens. Maybe they don't make it any more, I noticed on the pet meds site is says under info "for kittens 8 weeks and over, no weight requirement" and I'm pretty sure Revolution used to have different doses for different weights.

And there is nothing about a kitten dose on the actual Revolution website either.

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to thank you all for your help. Really. My mom never let us have pets, so I really don't know what to do with a kitten, let alone a sick kitten. I really appreciate the help. I think I was on the verge of a breakdown, but now I have a plan for helping Meow Meow.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Gasp* I'd never declaw meow meow! There's no need for that. I feel like if someone is more concerned about furniture and curtains, then they shouldn't get pets cuz they sometimes mess things up. It happens. I feel like I'm getting more informed as I read through the forums here. I'm leaning towards banfield because, honestly, I can't really afford paying out of pocket for all the visits and meds she'll need. I don't want her to suffer anymore than she has, and definitely not because I'm poor.

I think Meow Meow found herself a good mommy!

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I think Meow Meow found herself a good mommy!
Aw. Thank you. I'm trying and she really has me wrapped, but I feel like its mutual because she's my shadow...and hairdresser.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is a kitten dose of Revolution - I think its for kittens under four pounds.  I've given it to kittens but honestly don't remember what ages they were.  Six weeks is still a little young, I think.  The vet will know best.

The hair grooming means you belong to her.  That is a definite sign that she loves you.  Bless you for all you're doing for her.

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I gave her a bath and only saw 6 fleas, so I guess it's not that bad. I went in and I know I was thorough. My question is, I put down DE on the area rug in my bedroom and steam mopped the hardwood floors. That's the only room she's been staying in. I took of all my bedding and left the bed bug cover on, and I'm going to wash everything. How long before I can let her back in?

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nm. It's been over an hour and there's plenty of fresh air, so I figured it's okay. She's eating, playing, and cuddling like usual. She's just not scratching. Yay!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just about to ask for an update on Meow Meow! Sounds like you are doing a great job. My advice is, even if you don't see any more fleas by the time she is 8 weeks old and old enough for a topical, I would use one for a few months on her anyway. There are bound to be some eggs scattered around just waiting to hatch. Keeping her protected, at least until the cold season will ensure that you are completely rid of them.

Then, hopefully you will never have to treat again!

Now, how about some pictures of your precious baby girl?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Super cute! I think revolution is supposed to be the best one. Though after you treat her for a few months with it I would not keep giving it to her if she stays inside imo. 

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm hoping by December, everything will be alright. I read somewhere it takes six months but since her case isn't that drastic, she should b ok by then. It was more in my head.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't think it will take 6 months most cases clear up after the first dose. You just have to worry about eggs but since you put DM and are vacuuming I think everything should be fine.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's our precious little Meow Meow doing? (thanks for the picture by the way!)

toddypu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet this morning because she's had intermittent vomiting and loose stools. He said her fleas are much better and gave me albon for her tummy troubles. Other than that, she's still active when awake, friendly, and plain old snuggly. Her appetite is also great. I started mixing gnc kmr into her babycat food last night and she licks her plate clean. Usually she eats a smidge and leaves most of the food behind. He said kmr is too rich and could contribute to her tummy woes, so idk.