Delivery Question

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We still have 2 weeks! Both of you are going to have kittens with eyes open before even one of mine is born.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure I will be wishing for this point when the kittens are climbing all over us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby Girl is 58-62 days. I have been going with the due date of May 2, so that puts her at 58 days. She is far enough that if she has them in the next couple days we will still be in the full term range. What I've read they can have them between 58-71 days, the average being 63-65 days.

The last 3 days Baby Girl stayed awake alot through the day. Today she has been really grouchy (even before clipping her belly). She has started looking for the male cats and attacking them, they don't fight back so they run from her. I think she is starting to nest, she was in the corner by the fireplace and digging at the carpet. It's the only dark, secluded corner in the house (other then under beds).

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OH yeah that's definitely nesting behavior. The only nesting I've seen Carly do was under my bed by the wall. She might have done it under my daughter's bed too but I wouldn't have known about it. From my reading, you see them start nesting about 2 weeks before delivery and see kittens moving about a week before. I think Baby Girl is going to have her kittens this week. I'm going to say Saturday.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Baby Girl could be any day now too! I'm getting so excited, and I keep thinking, "this might be it!" but no...
she wants me to keep waiting. The babies are just squirming like crazy in there though!

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think she'll wait til next week. This is her today.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See Carly's nipples still have the hair around them. I've noticed from every picture online of pregnant cats, the hair around the nipples goes. Must be so it's easier for the kittens to latch on.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, traditionaly the idea is that the babies can get to the nipples easier, but with kitties like Zoe and Carly, who have longer fur, it's still pretty hard.
By the way, Baby Girl is really cute

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Baby Girl has spent the last several weeks grooming around the nipples. I think this helps to remove the hair around them. Hers have had those circles around them for as long as I can remember. I used the clippers to shorten the hair on her belly. Her nipples seem to be dry and a bit flaky, but no milk yet. Maybe Carly's hair was too long to notice?

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Zoe and Carly are adorable too. I love the fat bellies. Pictures of Baby Girl on the back of the couch don't do justice for her belly. The cats have laid on it until it bows in so her belly just slids right in it. That might be why it's her favorite spot now. Normally it's 3 other cats that try to get there first but she stole it. When one of the others get there she stands there and stares at them like "give me my spot". It makes you feel bad but I don't think It would be a good idea to move the others, might cause jealousy.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband just informed me that "my cat is huge." Yeah that's what happens when the babies get to growing.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, she is definitly nesting. She keeps going back to the corner beside the fireplace. I put a shallow tote box in the corner with a large towel (if she delivers there i'll replace the towel with a blanket). I read earlier that some cats start the nesting 2 days prior to delivering (maybe
)

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess I am reading the wrong stuff then. I read it was 2 weeks. How many days is Baby Girl again? Carly started that nesting stuff 2 days ago. She kept going to the same spot and digging at the carpet. I was worried she was pottying there but no she was just nesting.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's so exciting! I guess Zoe may not be the first to go!! She's been lying in her box, but no nesting yet! My guess was today, but I'm not so sure not...

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had read about them doing the nesting 2 weeks prior to delivery, too. But I read where other people's cat gave birth and alot of them said their cat started nesting 2 days before (???). Baby Girl is 59 days today but she just started the nesting yesterday. I don't think it means she WILL deliver in 2 days but I do think alot of it depends on the cat. Baby Girl has been here since she was 5 weeks old so maybe she's not that worried about finding a place. She may have had it picked out for a while without needing to nest. But then if she doesn't deliver until around the 70 days that gives her about 11 days left. So that would be almost 2 weeks before. I think it's all a guessing game and they like to keep us guessing. Lol.

I think Carly is closer then 2 weeks. But I could be wrong.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zoe might have already desided her box is the perfect place. I guess we just have to wait and see. I still think she is the closest.

But like you, Baby Girl starts doing something and i'm like "she's getting ready", and then she doesn't go into labor. It's soooo disapointing. The only thing we know for sure is that they will go into labor "eventually".

How did you get into fostering. I'd love to do this again. But I don't want to add to the over population so mine won't be doing this again. Lol.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't figure this out. I go in to clean her area and clean her box and just spend time with her by grooming her and playing with her but I cannot figure out why her rear keeps getting so nasty. When I was scooping the box, there seemed to be hard hard stool then some soft mushy stool. At least it wasn't stinky like last time so I know it's not her anal glands again. She enjoys having her rear cleaned. I get the butt in the air when I have to wipe her down back there. IS it possible she's further than what the Vet thought? Her stomach is hard as a rock now. It feels like she has a rock in her belly and I can even feel kittens when she's standing and I haven't been able to do that until recently. Do their stools get weird as they approach delivery? I'm so confused with this girl. I wonder if she needs to be wormed again?

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know they can get constipated because of pregnancy. I think people have said that they get the runs before delivery (???).

From looking at her and what you describe it does sound as if she is further then the vet said. Another thing is that I have read that around a certain time of gestation it's very hard to feel them and I believe you said at first the vet said she wasn't and after more feeling said she was. I think it's very possible. That's why my vet did an ultrasound, they were sure she was pregnant but couldn't feel the babies. They have been practiceing for years (at least 20 that I know of).

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you are here because I wanted to ask this question. The kittens feel like hard rocks today. Does your Baby Girl's kitties feel like hard rocks? I think she might have the loose stool because I feed her more treats lately. She will only eat the Friskies treats and since she is in isolation, I go in and feel sorry for her and feed her treats. I called the vet and that's what they thought it might be but without an exam no way to really tell.

Yes, when I took her in, he had a hard time feeling her kittens. Finally after messing with her a couple of minutes he said yes there they are and said she had about 4 more weeks but he was basing cat pregnancy on an 8 week schedule. I guess it's possible that she's 8 weeks instead of 7.