Delivery Question

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah it's clumping which is why I'm worried. I guess I could switch it out for something that isn't. I've read if they have them inside the litterbox with clumping litter, the kittens can die. I just wouldn't want that to happen. She had a couple of options before because I had a rubbermaid box in there but she had no interest in it. She's been messing around in her "nest" for about 2 weeks now. Today I noticed that I could actually see her shoulder blades so the kittens are way back there.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carlysmom

Yeah it's clumping which is why I'm worried. I guess I could switch it out for something that isn't. I've read if they have them inside the litterbox with clumping litter, the kittens can die. I just wouldn't want that to happen. She had a couple of options before because I had a rubbermaid box in there but she had no interest in it. She's been messing around in her "nest" for about 2 weeks now. Today I noticed that I could actually see her shoulder blades so the kittens are way back there.
Chances are nothing bad would happen, but you may be better safe them sorry
...you could just switch to non-clumping for the last week of the pregnancy since she`ll be having them VERY soon!

Oh, I put up some new pics of the babies if you guys aren`t tired of looking at them

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...40#post2873640

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think they are coming soon. It's good that she's nesting. I would try taking her temp. again this evening. It says 24 hours but Baby Girl's temp. was down 48 hours that I know of.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you weigh those monsters? Lol. They look so big.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's another interesting tid bit. I laid my hand on her belly and it was hard as a rock. Not just the kittens but the entire belly. I could feel the uterus because it feels like there's no fluid left. Then it subsided and I could feel a little fluid and she went off to eat. Would that be a contraction? I didn't feel like a movement up or out or anything just her whole side extremely hard. I think there is a kitten hiding up under her ribs on the left side that I thought there was only 2. I think there might be 3 on that side and just one on the other.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carlysmom

I would definitely change to a non-clumping litter now. There are a couple of potential problems with clumping litter. The litter can stick to the kittens and mom may not clean them off, or if she does she'll get litter clumping in her stomach. If the litter gets stuck on the babies' noses it can block their breathing. I don't think kittens are born in the litter box all that often, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cslenker

Did you weigh those monsters? Lol. They look so big.
I haven`t actually...the closest thing I have to a weigh scale is a fish weigher that Dave uses, LOL...it may work though if I hang a basket on it or something...

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have my husband pick up a scale from the grocery store. I read some where online that you can get them pretty cheap.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't pay much for mine. It's just a kitchen scale. It goes up to 10 lbs.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I couldn't even find that scale, so I suppose that'll have to wait for now...
Any update on Carly?

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anything new with Carly? Can we hope she's contracting?

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't say if she's contracting or not but she keeps sleeping next to her litterbox. I don't understand that. I've seen her make that movement with her back a lot more than she usually does. You know where the whole skin moves? I don't know if that is contractions or not if I'm not seeing it all of the time in a regular pattern.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of her from earlier. Her stomach is huge. She looks like Zoe.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is huge! lol. she looks lopsided. Like most of her belly is on the right side of her. Keep an eye on her. Does her nostrils seem to be flaring when she breathes?

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No but she is struggling to breathe with all of the weight. She makes a little noise when she breathes. I took her temp again and it was 100.0. I also rest my hand on her belly (she's been letting me leave it there as long as I want now) and didn't feel any contractions.

She IS lopsided because I think there is just the one kitten on the left and two or three on the right. Here's a picture of her laying down.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definatly is big!! When she goes into the second stage of labor, there will be no mistaking the contractions- you'll easilybe able to see her whole stomach convulsing for every contraction.
Come on Carly!!

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, i'm sticking with her at least being in labor by midnight tomorrow night. lol.

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Midnight tomorrow night would be good. Tomorrow my calendar will go off on my phone to tell me that she's officially 9 weeks. There was a time when she was around 7 weeks that I felt the length of the kitten and measured it out to that vet website online. I decided to put the dates in my phone to alert me as she turned a week older. We shall see.

cslenker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With all the stuff from last night I was sure she'd be in labor this morning.