Declawing

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are lots, and I hate the blinking ones.  They make me feel sick.  The choice of non-blinking ones isn't that good.

elizabeth kempt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats for over 35 years and declawed each one of them.  Currently I have an 8 year old and a 5 year old and they are both declawed.  I went to a reputable vet and both my cats are fine.  My 8 year old jumps higher than any cat I've ever seen and spins in the air playing.  The 5 year old chases our little dog around the house, up and down the stairs.  Too many people try to push their opinions onto other people.  Since you've asked, my reply is that you should care for your cat the way you decide.  You've obviously had cats before and therefore are not new to this, so making decisions and standing by them is my recommendation.  My only concern when I took my cats for surgery was to be sure the vet was reputable so that they were in good hands.  I hope this helps relieve some of the stress others are putting on you with "their" opinions and choices.  Take care =^..^=

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an anti-declaw site. Declawing is outlawed in more than 27 countries around the world, because it is considered cruel and inhumane. So far only 8 cities in the USA have outlawed this cruel mutilation, but hopefully more will follow.

Please educate yourself on what is done to the cat, and how cats suffer, during and after this needless amputation of the third digit of their toes, including tendons, nerves, ligaments, and bone.

Your cats may seem "fine" but one can only imagine how much finer they would be, if they had been allowed to keep their toes.

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to see that you opted for a claw trim instead; while I have my own opinions on de-clawing, I will not agree or disagree with it in this topic since it's not a debate topic and you've decided to not de-claw anyway. I've had one de-clawed cat - I had him when I was a child and my mother got him de-clawed because he would scratch me up a lot (but I deserved it since I played rough with him). This made him bite me a lot instead since his teeth were his next line of defense. Also, he got beat up a lot by my younger cats and he couldn't defend himself, so if you've got kitties with claws in the house, just be aware that they could really harm a cat with no claws.In terms of anti-scratching items, in my experience, those plastic things that go on the corners of chairs and couches don't work. My cats all scratched around them; in fact, my female cat would grab a hold of the very bottom of the couch and drag herself along the floor in order to sharpen her claws. No matter what I did, my cats never went for a scratching post - they would claw the furniture and any rugs in the house (not carpeting - loose rugs). So I got them an old crappy rug to shred, which they liked. Also, I forget the name of the item, but it's basically a thick block of cardboard for about $10. My female cat never cared and went for the carpet, but my one male that liked to scratch the walls now only scratches the cardboard block. Some kitties are better about claw trims at home than others. My kitties put up a little struggle, but generally they behave (but they're also senior kitties). My boyfriend's cat (maybe 3 years old) has a full-blown tantrum complete with hissing, growling, flailing, biting, spitting, scratching and attempts to escape. So depending on how much your cat hates having their feet touched, you might be in for a fight. Try holding your cat's paws and squeezing them gently to push the claws out. This will be a good starting point to figure how much of a fit Kitty will throw should you try clipping the nails at home. Or maybe not - my Caspurr hated her feet being touched, but she put up the least resistance to claw trims.

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Too many people try to push their opinions onto other people. 

At least the "other people" aren't being mutilated in the process..... unlike the poor cats that have had someone's pro-declawing "opinion" pushed on THEM.
 My only concern when I took my cats for surgery was to be sure the vet was reputable so that they were in good hands. 
There is no such thing as a "reputable vet" who declaws.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Elizabeth, what's the point of digging up old threads to push your pro declaw perspective on this anti-declaw site?

Thanks to the mods for catching each post. But really, the original poster in this thread spent time learning about the procedure and available alternatives and decided more than half a year ago not to mutilate her cat. :rub:

nikers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a vet convince me to declaw my first cat. It was a HUGE mistake. He can't protect himself if he needs too and he's not as agile as a cat should be. He loves to go outside with me and walk the rails on my porch. I have to watch him like a hawk because if he slips he has nothing to grab on with. Now that I've added 2 more cats to my family he can't keep up with them when the climb and play so he's not as active. I feel horrible for my decision and there's no way I can take it back.