Declawing

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you decide to clip claws, it's probably only the front ones that need doing.  As I say, I've never routinely clipped - my furniture is pretty much cat-proof, and they have a scratching post that's tall enough.  A few cats have claws that grow abnormally and need clipping from a young age so they don't ingrow but that's very rare.  It's not uncommon for older cats to need them clipping.  The front claws they keep trim by stropping on a post or whatever, the back claws they chew.  Actually Minnie (my avatar) chews her front claws as well.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you all recommend scratching posts? Money isn't a problem. I want to get what is best for And there are so many online that I get so confused.
Second, nail clippers, I've seen so many.....what is the correct kind to get? Which leads me to this.......how do I clip them? She is 6 months old and will try it but she is a very hands off kitty unless she is in the mood. I don't want to hurt her.
Third, what if I dont clip them? Will it hurt her not having them clipped?
How do I stop her from clawing the few things she does now? We work a lot and aren't home.
I do believe we aren't going to declaw. She has been a good kitten (had her 5 months now) and hasn't done much damage and if she hasn't done much now, I'm sure she will be fine as she gets older. I guess she wouldn't start bad habits later on life--that's my only concern.
I use these to trim one of cats nails, the other cats don't need it. I always have someone else hold him, while I clip. It's really easy. I usually only do his front claws and that is because he has an affinity for wanting to knead my bare skin. My cats are good about using the scratching posts around the house but I still occasionally have to tell to stop using them on the couch. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I called the vets on Thursday and cancelled the declawing.

I then get a phone call this morning reminding me of meshas spaying and declawing. I said "no no no, I called Thursday to cancel that. She is not getting declawed." The girl on the phone said, "oh I see that now." . I emphasized again we are not declawing.

I was so pissed and am worried.

I told my husband and we went to the vets office. We told the girl our kitty was getting spayed on Monday, she looked it up on the computer and said "our last name" and said she took the declawing out. I told her we did not want her declawed and that we did not want any mix up.

I worried to death now. Besides looking for another vet--we live in a small town and the next close vet is 45 minutes to an hour away. They are very reputable and good compared to the other in the area but. Now I'm worried they will do it by mistake--is there anything else I can do to remind them again to not declaw.

My husband is bringing her in Monday morning-I have a conference to be at. He is going to tell them again to spay only, not declaw. And I'm going to put her name on her carrier with "spay only, do not declaw."

Any other suggestions? I won't sleep intel this is all done.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'll do no good to tell you to not worry... You will anyway!  But, when he checks her in just tell him to remind them again and make sure they note it back... She should be fine! 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd worry too. In fact, if this were my situation I would probably reschedule the spay, simply to be sure the declaw was no longer on the list.

Yes, big note on the carrier. When you sign the admission papers, write it in big letters on the bottom of the sheet, too.

I'm so glad you decided against it. So glad I've got tears in my eyes, knowing this is one less cat who will suffer such mutilation. You and your husband are the best!

save our paws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I was not able to read everyone's replies, but the ones that I did read are wonderful!  Thank you for everyone who is against declawing.  There is more to declawing than just removing the claws.  The entire first knuckle is removed forcing the cat/kitten to walk for the rest of his/her life on the amputated bones of their feet.  Think how wonderful you would feel walking on nubs.

Also, the complications that arise from declawing don't always show up immediately, like infections, bleeding, death, etc.  There are many more that show up later as a result of the pain brought on by the surgery.  Litter box avoidance and biting are the most noticable ones.  There is also arthritis, lameness, constant pain and more.  Cats don't openly show pain and discomfort like dogs do, so please  reconsider.

Teaching a cat/kitten to use a scratching post is not a difficult undertaking, especially if you truly love him/her.  Cats/kittens are quite trainable and usually learn quickly.  Provide the proper scratching surfaces in a local area so that the cat/kitten will feel comfortable using them.  I have several throughout my house and my cats use them all.  On the rare occassion that one does "scratch" on my furniture, it is really more than just a gentle pick and is only to get my attention.

Both you and your cat will be greatful in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I was not able to read everyone's replies, but the ones that I did read are wonderful!  Thank you for everyone who is against declawing.  There is more to declawing than just removing the claws.  The entire first knuckle is removed forcing the cat/kitten to walk for the rest of his/her life on the amputated bones of their feet.  Think how wonderful you would feel walking on nubs.

Also, the complications that arise from declawing don't always show up immediately, like infections, bleeding, death, etc.  There are many more that show up later as a result of the pain brought on by the surgery.  Litter box avoidance and biting are the most noticable ones.  There is also arthritis, lameness, constant pain and more.  Cats don't openly show pain and discomfort like dogs do, so please  reconsider.

Teaching a cat/kitten to use a scratching post is not a difficult undertaking, especially if you truly love him/her.  Cats/kittens are quite trainable and usually learn quickly.  Provide the proper scratching surfaces in a local area so that the cat/kitten will feel comfortable using them.  I have several throughout my house and my cats use them all.  On the rare occassion that one does "scratch" on my furniture, it is really more than just a gentle pick and is only to get my attention.

Both you and your cat will be greatful in the long run.
Anyone thinking it's okay to chop or burn their cats' toes off, go on to that website mentioned above. There are pictures of cats after they've had their toes amputated. I hope you have a strong stomach. Imagine putting someone you "love" through such a thing, and then subjecting that same someone to a lifetime of pain and disability. That is NOT LOVE.

Last edited by a moderator:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/a-declaw-story/

To make a long story short, we had major issue. Not because the surgery was botched, because of the imbalance or weight shift that occurs when you amputate the last digit of your kitty’s finger. In our case, the longest digit on each paw reacted to the weight shift or trauma from now being walked on, by generating more bone. That bone actually grew through the pads of his front paws. If it sounds extremely uncomfortable, you are in agreement with every veterinarian I consulted with, in this case 5. Again, the only signal we had was loss of appetite for a period of about 5 months.

We had to amputate that bone on both paws up to the next joint. This time I insisted upon being with the cat overnight after surgery and I can now tell you exactly why a vet will not send your cat home with you the night after a declaw. It’s torture. That’s it and that’s all.
and:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/declawing-a-rational-look/

and:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/declawing/declawing-a-physical-therapist-assistants-perspective/

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Otto--I don't want to reschedule we have already done that twice and mesha has been in heat twice......not a full heat but I knw it will only be a matter of time until it gets worse.

My husband said he would remind them when he drops her off......do not declaw! And I plan on writing them a little note about some things including not declawing.

Can't wait until tomorrow and Tuesday are over and she coes home.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don't blame you for not wanting to put the spay off any longer. With all your notes and reminders the vet is sure to remember!

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The idea of writing it on big letters on the consent form is a good one.  I'm so glad I'm in the UK and this simply doesn't come up as it's illegal here.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, you are lucky. I wrote them a note and my husband is going to remind them again. Ugh, I'll worry until she is finished. I've called the office, told the scheduler, and even stopped by the office and the girl at the computer even said she took it out.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Any update on Mesha? How did her spay go? Hope she's home with all her claws intact.

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She doing well. Getting back to herself. I tried to keep her from jumping but...

No declawing. They clipped her nails.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

save our paws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am SOOOOO glad you decided against declawing.  You will too later on.  Try using baby nail clippers and have the vet show you where the cuticle ends so that you will know where to stop cutting.  If your kitty trusts you enough, you may be able to lay her in your lap on her back while rubbing her and trim her nails that way.  Her cooperation will increase as she adapts to the manicures.  The burrito idea should work also.  Best wishes!  :D