Day Old Kitten... A Couple Questions.

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rescued a cat about 6 weeks ago and she was pregnant and had her kitten yesterday, she was doing great all day yesterday then evening came and she ignores the cries usually for a while but eventually goes to the kitten for feeding. I have tried petting mama while she feeds the kitten but as soon as I leave, she usually gets out of the box too, even if the kitten is searching for her for more milk, not always though. I didn't weigh the kitten yesterday as I didn't have scale until today and it showed 108 grams. Also, I noticed today that the kitten had dried poop on it's bottom, is mom not doing the job of making baby go potty? I cleaned up and rubbed with a damp wash cloth. I bought some kmr and a bottle and syringe in case I do end up needing to help the little one. I guess, my question is, when do I know if I need to start helping by feeding baby the kmr? Mama will definitely be getting spayed after this.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With how young the kitten is I would start feeding it if it hasn't gained at least 5 grams in 12 hours from your last feeding. Keep trying to get Mom to feed it but some Mom's just aren't the best. You may end up having to bring primary caregiver for this little one.

Hand Rearing Kittens: What You Need To Know To Save A Newborn's Life

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It has been 10 hours since I first weighed the kitten and it is now 111 grams, so a 3 gram gain. Mama has been more attentive today, more so than yesterday though. Is a 3 gram gain in a 10 hour window good enough? I will weigh again when it has been 24 hours since the first weigh-in.

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes its ok!
It's been 12 hours since the last weigh-in and kitten has only gained 2 grams since then. In 3 hours it will have been 24 hours since I FIRST weighed the kitten, I will weigh again then. Is this small gain okay or should I step in?

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might even consider giving her a saucer go KMR every day until the kitten is weaned. Good Luck!
Give mama the kmr? I can do that. I bought some to have just in case it was needed. I can feel a lot of milk in her teats, especially in her back ones, they hang down and I have been gently massaging them too. Baby seems to be latching on and when done has a wet face. Is the small 5 gram gain in 22 hours something to be worried about though?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The KMR will give mom the extra calcium needed for nursing.
Keep an eye on the weight. If it still hasn't gained more than 5 grams in a 24 hour span, then you may have to intervene. Now that mom is nursing, there should be some improvement.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
5g in 22 hours isnt much, Im not jumping with joy but its ok.
Wait another 12+12 hours.

Because there are some extra risks with handfeeding, esp for a new be.
They arent great if you are careful but more than nil.

Calculating the added risk against this meagre but ok 6 g during the day - and a momma whom is better and better - do wait some more.