bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thursday:152 grams
Friday: 172 grams
Saturday: 180 grams
Today: 188 grams

Is it okay that he's only gaining 8 grams in 24 hours these past 2 days?? For 3 days in a row, he was gaining 20 grams a day the scale said...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
This article: Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) explains about how much kittens should gain per day. Basically, a good rule of thumb is about 10 grams per day. If, however, a kitten starts gaining less than 7 or 8 grams per day during its first 10 days, or if you notice a large negative trend in weight gain, then you need to intervene.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a precious, precious little sweetheart! Thanks for the update, is is appreciated by all, especially since I don't see kittens anymore!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kitten just turned 3 weeks old on Sunday and I was in the room with him and his mama and he was walking around just fine and playing and mama started playing with him and cleaning him so I got up to grab something from the other room and came back about 2 minutes later, if that long and he was having a hard time walking... his back leg kept going inward. I think mama got too rough with him. I will try to upload a short video I took that shows what I'm talking about. If it isn't better by tomorrow, I'll be calling our vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellesmama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The leg seems a bit better today but still not back to normal. My normal go to vet is double booked today and won't have a dr in again until next Tuesday, I called the other local vets and they said no dr in until Tuesday for them also and said to just keep an eye on the leg. Is there anything I can do to help him? My vet said to reduce his activity and maybe try keeping him from mama until feeding time because she has been rough. He still wants to play though so I've been trying to get him to lie down and play that way.