Davidson vomiting... again :(

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that you are getting Davidson checked by your vet.

I'll be thinking of your boy tomorrow and watching for your update.

My vet lets me pay over time too.
That really helps.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers from Mississippi for Davidson and for you too. I hope he gets a good report from the vet tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everything is ok with your kitty. The good news is is that you said he isnt acting any different other than the vomiting.

I had a problem with Saki back in March. He started vomiting for no reason, once a day or a few times a week but he had absolutely no other symptoms whatsoever. Poops were fine, appetite was great, loving and as playful as ever. This went on for almost 4 months. I was just beside myself. He had never thrown up in his 3 years and then he was just throwing up so frequently. It was really upsetting, even though he didnt act sick at all. We did blood tests, urinalysis, tried changing his food ( a few times ) and were going to do an ultrasound and then I started putting Transfer Factor in his food and I dont know if it was a coincidence or what but he stopped vomiting and hasnt vomited once since July. It was absolutely bazar.

Cats are excellent vomiters (is that a word? lol) and can do so for absolutely no reason, or for a major reason and what sucks is reasons for vomiting are one of the hardest things for the vets to diagnose. I hope you find out something helpful at the vets.

Good luck

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some vibes for our little biker boy! {{{{}}}}

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are probably getting ready for your vet appointment right now. I hope Davidson does well and they are able to find the cause of his vomitting.

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Sweetie would vomit occasionally after her wet food breakfast. (Nine Lives) The vet said nothing wrong. Sharkie said maybe she was allergic, so I switched to Friskies. No more vomitting. I want to fed them something more nutritious so I tried science diet, they did not like it. Next will try Nutro, both wet and dry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we just got back from the vet.

He checked him over and under- took his temp- all that good stuff, and he said everything felt normal, and he didn't have a temp. I told them that Maxximum Nutrition switched formulas- but on the bag it doesn't say what they switched
Since he's been getting sick since they switched formulas. So, he sent me home with a bag of Hills Prescription Diet- I/D. He said it was a bland formula, which would hopefully calm his stomach.
He's obviously having a reaction to something that they switched in the formula, but they didnt do any tests or anything like that. Hopefully after eating this food he won't have any kind of reactions and we can stay with this kind.
When they weighed him... he weighed in at 12 pounds!
The vet couldn't believe it- he said he's so long and lean that he wouldn't have guessed him to be that much, he kept complimenting me on how gorgeous and healthy he looked!

(All you food smarties- what do you think of this food? He sent me home with a bag of the dry and 8 cans of wet, I looked on the ingredients and the 1st one is Chicken By- Product
Their other food I feed them, the Maxximum doesn't have any by-products
) I'm at a loss here!

Oh, and I also made an appointment to get him fixed on MONDAY!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's good to hear that the vet doesn't think it's anything too serious. I'm not too sure about the food he gave you. But I guess if he's giving it too you it can't be too bad

I'll be thinking about him on Monday...he won't be a very happy boy

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kenz, the shelter uses Science Diet i/d. It's crap! Not ot mention they use BHA/BHT, which can cause cancer(notice can). They use icky things it in. When the shelter uses i/d we use it to help firm up loose stools, although I think it helps with digestive upsets, too.

I would look into a bland food, something simple....ummm....your petco/petsmart is 1/2 hour away, right? What foods do you have access to locally?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just hope whatever it is that it clears up soon.
and I hope everything goes well on Monday!
and of course they should be complimenting you on how gorgeous he is, because he is!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad the vet didn't think it weas anything serious! and if I were you I'd ditch the Science diet, I'm under the impression that vets are paid to pass out that crap
anyhoo, if you have a Petsmart nearby, I'd check out their Authority or the Blue Spa or of course Nutro, if you have a feed store check out Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, these foods are all on the lower end of the price range for good foods, no by-products in any of them

and MY!!!! what a big baby you have!!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

(All you food smarties- what do you think of this food? He sent me home with a bag of the dry and 8 cans of wet, I looked on the ingredients and the 1st one is Chicken By- Product
Their other food I feed them, the Maxximum doesn't have any by-products
) I'm at a loss here!
try it for now, & see if it solves the problem. if it does, then you know it's the food, & you can try other, better choices of different brands to see what he'll tolerate that's better quality. it won't hurt him for now to eat the SD. i used SD exclusively for many years, & my cats were just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

Glad the vet didn't think it weas anything serious! and if I were you I'd ditch the Science diet, I'm under the impression that vets are paid to pass out that crap
anyhoo, if you have a Petsmart nearby, I'd check out their Authority or the Blue Spa or of course Nutro, if you have a feed store check out Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul, these foods are all on the lower end of the price range for good foods, no by-products in any of them

and MY!!!! what a big baby you have!!!!
I'm glad it wasn't anythign either, he checked him for any obstructions in his stomach or anything, but he was relieved to hear that his litter box behavior has been normal and his activity has been too.
As for the food-I'm not happy with it either, especially with the by-products.
As for a feed store... we don't have anything like that here, we have a Mills Fleet Farm, they wouldn't carry it, would they??
I'm clueless about stuff like that, but I could check there for Chicken Soup.

Oh yeah, I can't believe he's 12lbs either!
I'm really afraid to weigh Harley!

Originally Posted by white cat lover

Kenz, the shelter uses Science Diet i/d. It's crap! Not ot mention they use BHA/BHT, which can cause cancer(notice can). They use icky things it in. When the shelter uses i/d we use it to help firm up loose stools, although I think it helps with digestive upsets, too.

I would look into a bland food, something simple....ummm....your petco/petsmart is 1/2 hour away, right? What foods do you have access to locally?
Yup, 1/2 hr away, we have a Pet Store here in town but their stuff is SO overpriced! I'm not sure what brands of food they have in there, I might have to look tho.

Originally Posted by laureen227

try it for now, & see if it solves the problem. if it does, then you know it's the food, & you can try other, better choices of different brands to see what he'll tolerate that's better quality. it won't hurt him for now to eat the SD. i used SD exclusively for many years, & my cats were just fine.
You've used it? I don't think it'll hurt them either, hopefully it doesn't cause any loose stools or anything

Originally Posted by Bella713

Davidson
You big sweet boy. So glad he's going to be okay Mackenzie. Personally I would not take a Vet's advice on nutrition, but that's just me.
Thats what I thought too, but I was really wanting something to clear this up so I figured I'd try it for the weekend.... I know I remember reading that vets aren't good at knowing food brands, but I hate giving my babies things w/ by-products in them, especially when the stuff I was giving them didn't have it in it at all. We'll try it for 2 days anyways...

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've got a couple of quiet giants too. Lazlo and Shelly both weigh 14 pounds - and they're tall, long and thin, like Davidson.

Happy to hear there's good news! Since he checked out so healthy, could be he's got a sensitive stomach. Shelly does. And Flowerbelle throws up constantly. From not chewing, from who knows what. We've had her checked a million times (OK, this might be a small exaggeration
), but apparently it's just her. Sometimes it's just bile - sometimes it's mostly unchewed food. But she does it several times a week.

As to the food - there are lots of sensitive stomach options out there. Royal Canin, a very high quality food, has one. If he's doing OK on the ID, switch them slowly to whatever you're going to try.

Laurie

PS - Glad he's going to be neutered!