Contacting companies for free samples

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw this thread & wanted to revive it :)

I went through the lists you guys provided to see what I'll get!

I've gotten free samples already from Primal and Hound & Gatos (H&G sent me one 5.5oz can in the Lamb flavor)

Cats loved the Primal in every flavor!

They ate the H&G, but I could tell they weren't super enthusiastic about it.   I had to top it off with bonito flakes to get them to finish it up.   But I know it's a very good food, so I will keep trying diff flavors of H&G since they did eat it and didn't straight up refuse it.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sent out a whole mess of sample requests last week - and they're already starting to roll in!

Got a package from Canidae - they gave me coupons, a frequent buyer card (to get free stuff after X amount of purchases) and two sample packages of their Life Stages and Pure Stream trout dry food - each package is 3oz.   Don't feed much dry, but these would make good treats if the cats like em.

Also got a package from Chicken Soup for the Soul - some coupons and two 3oz cans of wet food!

I'm surprised by the willingness of these companies to send food & coupons - pretty cool!! 

gonger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone's Australian: Black Hawk, Canidae, and Applaws so far have said yes. Wellness, Nutro, Kirklands Signature suggested i just buy a packet and return it. I need some of that sweet, sweet American variety haha.

Last edited:

Redkittycurls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jumping on this thread very very late but my input from my 2 cats is they love a local CA company called Smallbatch that makes frozen raw patties. Minnie likes chicken and Bobo likes beef. They won't eat the other flavor no matter what. Both like Stella &a Chewy freeze dried, though it's ridiculously expensive, and hated Sojos which I really really wanted them to like. I'll try to contact Primal for samples. Hate to but a full size bag and have to return it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Independent pet stores often have free samples to give out. It's usually small samples bags of dry food and freeze dried raw food but sometimes they have samples of frozen raw food.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's our free samps we've gotten lately.

My only rules are that I only contact companies I genuinely want to try, and NOT companies I already buy from because I feel like if I already buy from them I obviously don't need a sample!

I have gotten a lot of "No"s, even from brands that I've repeatedly heard were generous with samps, but these are all my "Yes"es. Not bad at all!
20181103_074110.jpg
Not pictured, some Canidae dry that showed up after the pic. :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they are ...
Yes I do understand the logic of the kibble issue but if you had to feed my cats you would understand why I have to give them at least one meal of kibble . When they initially refuse something that is it , it does not matter what I do it or how long it sits there they will not eat it . I will NOT make my cats go hungry just to get them to eat a wet food that they do not like ...
I have one like that too. I have everything from high end to junk like Friskies and only found Cats in the Kitchen that she will eat. But not a lot of it. I have to give her kibble or she won't eat, so I absolutely understand.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's our free samps we've gotten lately.

My only rules are that I only contact companies I genuinely want to try, and NOT companies I already buy from because I feel like if I already buy from them I obviously don't need a sample!

I have gotten a lot of "No"s, even from brands that I've repeatedly heard were generous with samps, but these are all my "Yes"es. Not bad at all!
View attachment 261894
Not pictured, some Canidae dry that showed up after the pic. :)
How do you get samples of wet food? I've tried that route before and all they ever sent me were little bags of kibble. That's all I can get from the store too, bags of kibble.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
How do you get samples of wet food? I've tried that route before and all they ever sent me were little bags of kibble. That's all I can get from the store too, bags of kibble.
Not sure, 'cos I didn't specify when I asked. Just happily took what they sent. :)

Redkittycurls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Independent pet stores often have free samples to give out. It's usually small samples bags of dry food and freeze dried raw food but sometimes they have samples of frozen raw food.
I got samples of Primal freeze dried from my local pet store. Each bag has one nugget but enough for the cats to give it a try!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's sent me 2 small bags of kibble and 2 cans of wet.

Wysong sent me a bunch of dry, freeze dried, and treat samples. I don't ask for wet. It was $2.50 but they were generous

Petcurean can't send samples in the US they said.

I contacted Rawz and they were very helpful, asking me about likes, dislikes, allergies, and even letting me know where I could get it since there are no local retailers for it for me. They said my sample was sent FedEx and will likely be here Friday!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rawz sent me 5 cans and 1 thing of dry food. I specifically asked for fish free items and they did not disappoint :)
IMG_20190125_153020.jpg

Primal said they no longer send samples and I had to go to my local place for it. Which is 45 mins away so that's not happening.

Caru also just messaged me to let me know they are sending some out