Contacting companies for free samples

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The weruva looks lovely. Is it?

No. Can't get that here.
It is. I really looks like canned/tinned chicken you'd buy for human consumption. It comes in a nice broth like gravy. It's not sold in big box pet stores here in the US. It's really only found in boutique type pet stores or online through Amazon and other retailers. I think it only comes in one form- shredded

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was going to start a thread about this same thing until I saw yours. Red Barn sent me some samples of Tricky Chicky. One of my cats really seemed to like it. The other just took a few bites of it. He did already have a belly full of dry food though. I might try it again later.

I reached out to Against the Grain for a sample of the Chicken and Pumpkin Samba, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet.

I want to try some of the (dry) Acana Grasslands too. Someone on this site told me that I have to buy a sample bag for about $3.00, but I can't seem to find a place online that sells a sample size bag.

I have never tried Nature's Logic. What is the texture like? My cats won't eat any pate food, except for Halo (for some reason). They won't touch any shredded meat either. Both of them turned their noses up at Weruva Paw Licking Chicken.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. I really looks like canned/tinned chicken you'd buy for human consumption. It comes in a nice broth like gravy. It's not sold in big box pet stores here in the US. It's really only found in boutique type pet stores or online through Amazon and other retailers. I think it only comes in one form- shredded
And probably very expensive.

lvmygrdn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never tried Nature's Logic. What is the texture like? My cats won't eat any pate food, except for Halo (for some reason). They won't touch any shredded meat either. Both of them turned their noses up at Weruva Paw Licking Chicken.
Nature's Logic is a pate. My kitties ate for a while and now are losing interest. I like the ingredients.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me know how they like the chicken fussie!
They both eat it okay but I think they prefer Tiki Cat or Weruva.   I think I do too.  I bought the Fussie Cat chicken and duck and there's only a few bits of duck.  There's more chicken with Tiki and maybe even Weruva too. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They both eat it okay but I think they prefer Tiki Cat or Weruva.   I think I do too.  I bought the Fussie Cat chicken and duck and there's only a few bits of duck.  There's more chicken with Tiki and maybe even Weruva too. 
Tiki definitely gives you a lot of food, particularly in the luau line! I think you get what you pay for with that stuff. I've sometimes thought about draining the meat from a Tiki can and, say, a Weruva pouch, and weighing the results!
I've also thought about trying the Fussie Cat, though the tapioca gives me pause since it can raise carb levels so much. For now, I think I'm set on foods that I drain to reduce carbs: Soulistic and Weruva chicken with pumpkin, which the cats love as an occasional treat.

Also, @Stewball I love that there's a cat food brand that's "OK"!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And probably very expensive.
It depends on where you buy it. I wouldn't buy it in one of those fancy boutique pet stores. I bought a case of it from Amazon. I got the Paw Lickin Chicken and it was $39.49 USD for a case of 24 5.5 oz (156 gram) cans. That works out to $1.65 for each can or rounding it up .83 cents a serving since Lilith and Sophie usually split a can. Comparably, Nutro Natural Choice is about $1 per 3 ounce (85 gram) can in most stores near me. I did buy the Rad Cat raw from a local boutique store (they liked it MUCH better than the Primal- YAY!) so next time I go get some I will take a look at what they charge for Weruva just for a laugh but I'm going to guess it's about $3 for the same 5.5 ounce can. It's a very fancy store, you know.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you buy it. I wouldn't buy it in one of those fancy boutique pet stores. I bought a case of it from Amazon. I got the Paw Lickin Chicken and it was $39.49 USD for a case of 24 5.5 oz (156 gram) cans. That works out to $1.65 for each can or rounding it up .83 cents a serving since Lilith and Sophie usually split a can. Comparably, Nutro Natural Choice is about $1 per 3 ounce (85 gram) can in most stores near me. I did buy the Rad Cat raw from a local boutique store (they liked it MUCH better than the Primal- YAY!) so next time I go get some I will take a look at what they charge for Weruva just for a laugh but I'm going to guess it's about $3 for the same 5.5 ounce can. It's a very fancy store, you know. :lol3:  
I can't afford to have it sent from America. I'll carry on with what they're eating.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It depends on where you buy it. I wouldn't buy it in one of those fancy boutique pet stores. I bought a case of it from Amazon. I got the Paw Lickin Chicken and it was $39.49 USD for a case of 24 5.5 oz (156 gram) cans. That works out to $1.65 for each can or rounding it up .83 cents a serving since Lilith and Sophie usually split a can. Comparably, Nutro Natural Choice is about $1 per 3 ounce (85 gram) can in most stores near me. I did buy the Rad Cat raw from a local boutique store (they liked it MUCH better than the Primal- YAY!) so next time I go get some I will take a look at what they charge for Weruva just for a laugh but I'm going to guess it's about $3 for the same 5.5 ounce can. It's a very fancy store, you know.

That sounds like a good deal on the Weruva chicken, Kat0121! I think the best value from Weruva is their Cats in the Kitchen line, which is priced lower and has, in my experience, more meat per can. The cats especially love the Chicken Frick a See. Cats in the Kitchen foods also don't have potato, which has had a history of causing problems for Edwina.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That sounds like a good deal on the Weruva chicken, Kat0121! I think the best value from Weruva is their Cats in the Kitchen line, which is priced lower and has, in my experience, more meat per can. The cats especially love the Chicken Frick a See. Cats in the Kitchen foods also don't have potato, which has had a history of causing problems for Edwina.
I've bought the Chicken Frick A Zee. They didn't like it as much. It looked to have mixed light and dark meat chicken in it. Sophie in particular likes the Soulistic Good Karma from Petco and the Paw Lickin Chicken looks almost identical to that so that could be why. I looked at both side by side and the only difference I could find is that they seem to put a thicker gravy type liquid in the Weruva and what they use in the Soulistic looks more like a broth.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats in the Kitchen is definitely more calorie dense than most regular Weruva varieties.  Thus it can be more economical (if your cats will eat it of course).  There's no carrageenan and no starch in the whole line if I remember right, although you will find locust, guar and/or xanthan gums.  "Chicken Frick a Zee" (all chicken), "Fowl Ball" (chicken and turkey) and "The Double Dip" (chicken and beef) have no fish ingredients.  The first two have the most calories, nearly 150 calories in the 6oz can.  The Double Dip has a little less, more like 120-130.

The chicken is part dark meat which ups the calories a bit (more fat) but really the regular Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken simply has a lot more water than most foods, meaning for a given weight can it has less meat and fewer calories.  The only chicken I've seen that always looks all white meat is Tiki.  And you pay dearly for that!  (Although true as noted on here somewhere, you're getting half again as many additional calories.)  It is odd to me how much my cats like the Tiki chicken given that for me it has become the dark meat that has the better flavor.  Now that I have figured out just how many more calories are in a Tiki can, I am testing them on leftovers since they are too small to split a whole can as one meal.

The Soulistic should be essentially equivalent to Weruva but there may be slight variations in some of the ingredients.  As you probably know it's made in the same plant by the same people.  Petco contracts with Weruva in a private labeling deal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It is odd to me how much my cats like the Tiki chicken given that for me it has become the dark meat that has the better flavor.  Now that I have figured out just how many more calories are in a Tiki can, I am testing them on leftovers since they are too small to split a whole can as one meal.
This dark/light meat thing is a mystery to me, too! Our cats just love Tiki's chicken... and will eat it leftover as well as from the freshly opened can.
The Soulistic should be essentially equivalent to Weruva but there may be slight variations in some of the ingredients.  As you probably know it's made in the same plant by the same people.  Petco contracts with Weruva in a private labeling deal.
I was very surprised to find out a week or two ago, from a Petco employee, that Petco apparently no longer has an exclusive right to sell Soulistic. I found that out when I asked about their raising the price on the pouch foods to $1.69! Evidently Soulistic thought the food was being sold too cheaply.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was very surprised to find out a week or two ago, from a Petco employee, that Petco apparently no longer has an exclusive right to sell Soulistic. I found that out when I asked about their raising the price on the pouch foods to $1.69! Evidently Soulistic thought the food was being sold too cheaply.
That's interesting.  Ever since I learned that Weruva produced that food I always figured Petco owned the name Soulistic.  I's true that if you look at the Soulistic web site, it gives a contact address in Natick, MA, the address of Weruva.  Not sure if that is confirmation that Petco does not own the name, but it seems an unusual arrangement otherwise.  The site still says exclusively at Petco, but if the employee is correct it could be that it hasn't been changed yet.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild calling duck [emoji]128078[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji] one cat refused and the other needed toppers and took one hour to eat. I bet the chicken gets same response! Anyone else try it?

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wild calling duck [emoji]128078[/emoji][emoji]128576[/emoji] one cat refused and the other needed toppers and took one hour to eat. I bet the chicken gets same response! Anyone else try it?
Our cats hated it! One sniffed and looked at me like I'd insulted her. The other would eat about a tablespoon from each can and then refuse any more. I tried them on all the chicken, turkey, duck, bison, and beef and it was all N.O.

To be fair, though, they've pretty much given up on pates. It seems like very decent food -- like Hound and Gatos -- at a very decent price so I'm sorry they don't like it.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats hated it! One sniffed and looked at me like I'd insulted her. The other would eat about a tablespoon from each can and then refuse any more. I tried them on all the chicken, turkey, duck, bison, and beef and it was all N.O.

To be fair, though, they've pretty much given up on pates. It seems like very decent food -- like Hound and Gatos -- at a very decent price so I'm sorry they don't like it.
. First time my boy refused anything.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked Against the Grain for a sample and finally heard back from them yesterday. They are going to send me a sample of the chicken, so I'll see how it goes.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried Red Barn chicken today for the first time.   Both Lokhi and Rainy seemed to love it and licked their plates clean.    I like the bits of chicken in gravy.  I thought it was going to be shredded chicken so I like that it was different since I already have Weruva and Fussie cat cans to go thru. 

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Tried Red Barn chicken today for the first time.   Both Lokhi and Rainy seemed to love it and licked their plates clean.    I like the bits of chicken in gravy.  I thought it was going to be shredded chicken so I like that it was different since I already have Weruva and Fussie cat cans to go thru. 
My cat Peaches who is very picky and has IBD loved the Red Barn Tricky Chicky samples we got in the mail. I also found a little shop close to me that is going to start carrying the Red Barn cat food.

Yesterday we got cans of Dave's canned food in the mail. They sent me three 5.5 ounce cans, one is chicken and the other 2 are turkey. Going to try it later today and see if she likes it.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Peaches who is very picky and has IBD loved the Red Barn Tricky Chicky samples we got in the mail. I also found a little shop close to me that is going to start carrying the Red Barn cat food.

Yesterday we got cans of Dave's canned food in the mail. They sent me three 5.5 ounce cans, one is chicken and the other 2 are turkey. Going to try it later today and see if she likes it.
. Daves is like wellness