Comprehensive cat food poll - what do you feed your cats?

catlover7731

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
undefined I give my female canned fancy feast, and my male canned petguard at the moment. Dry is Innova and cat lovers soup. If it was up to me I would feed them the best money could buy, but financially I do my best, plus my cats are reall picky eaters, my male will only eat premium canned food, and my female will only eat fancy feast, go figure.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vyrUS

I was feeding Vinny Purina, then I found out from my vet and a vet from the Humane society that Purina in one of the worst food you can give you cat. They reccomended IAMS and Science Diet. I then put Vinny on IAMS. You can soo tell the difference. IAMS has a very high odour. He is currently on medicated canned food at the moment. He loves that. We sometimes boil, boneless, skinless, chicken breast and give it to him. Just as a treat or something different. We dont do that very often, maybe once every 3 months.
Interesting..my vet reccomends it. (although she does stress Pro Plan or One are better than the usual..I have found the WORST food to give any cat would be Alley cat..i wont even feed it to my barn cats. Its "junk food"

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by caterpillar

Oh no, Mooie really likes dry Purina One and I got two bags for free!

Other than this free cat food, I feed the cats Hills Science Diet Adult Dry, Nutro Natural Choice Adult Dry, Max Cat canned, and Hills canned.
Dont fret i feed everyone Purina..and One is healthy healthy for them..Pro plans a bit better but all you really have to do is look at the ingredients

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Purina Pro Plan Adult Care Chicken and Rice Forumla to my babies. They have moved back up. I fed that to them The Pro Plan kitten forumla when they were babies (they all had very rough starts in life...and were bottle fed first than on to solids) than i had budjet problems so we went to the chow and indoor cat chow. back to Pro Plan now, per Dutchy. as the puppy gets Pro Plan for Puppys.

For wet food, I feed Friskies in a variety of flavours. its more of a treat every morning for them. all four share a can. (yup i know. purina product too the horses get Purina product too imagine that lol) and no..i dont get any special incenstive from them, lol ok ok aside from the Pro Club. I have always kept Healthy Happy Animals on the products. and unless they tell me otherwise I have no intention of changeing

portdevoix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I picked up the kittens, I bought a small box of Purina Kitten Chow. I fed them that for a week, until I got the boyz to the vet. Now they eat a combination of Science Diet Kitten dry food, and Science Diet canned kitten formula as well as Whole Foods' 365 Brand canned food. I try to rotate the kind of wet food they eat.

I am, however, considering taking the boys completely off the kibble, and going BARF. As a human low-carber, I am very wary of the dry foods that are perforce grain-based. Any advice?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by portdevoix

When I picked up the kittens, I bought a small box of Purina Kitten Chow. I fed them that for a week, until I got the boyz to the vet. Now they eat a combination of Science Diet Kitten dry food, and Science Diet canned kitten formula as well as Whole Foods' 365 Brand canned food. I try to rotate the kind of wet food they eat.

I am, however, considering taking the boys completely off the kibble, and going BARF. As a human low-carber, I am very wary of the dry foods that are perforce grain-based. Any advice?
Though I do not choose to do BARF, I understand your concerns (and I'm a long time low/balanced carber...check out my weight loss blog at weight-loss-notes.com "Baring it all") and there are some dedicated folks here who do this. My key advice is to really research this, and great care in preparation of the meats.
Here are some links you may find helpful:
littlebigcat
catnutrition
blakkatz
felinefuture
and a good article:
article on feeding raw which also has a book recommendation with the author's site mentioned (Michelle Bernard is the author) that looks interesting.

gotpersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vyrUS

I was feeding Vinny Purina, then I found out from my vet and a vet from the Humane society that Purina in one of the worst food you can give you cat. They reccomended IAMS and Science Diet...
I am always soapboxing on this, but it's true that vets recommend Science Diet because Hill's pays them to with incentives and free bags. It's a scam! It's really not superior at all, in fact has corn product as three of five first main ingredients. SD made three of my four cats vomit after just a couple of feedings. Purina's higher end foods (ProPlan & ONE) are in fact fine choices. I read labels and have been very satisfied with MAX (Nutro) dry (though the kibble is big and the cats make a mess biting it into pieces - but they love it, soo...) and Nutro's Natural choice foods, which we free-feed them. It's high quality, reasonably priced (about $12 for an 8 lb bag) and the babies love it. No smelly poops! Meow Mix pouches are pretty high quality I think (for a supermarket food) and my kitties only get about 1 or 2 tablespoons of it a day each as a treat so I don't worry so much about the wet food brand.

gotpersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Weatherlight

All you people with cats addicted to feces-and-feather feeds, you might want to look into why they're addicted. I'm guessing it's too much salt or chicken digest.
I'm sure wild and feral cats would choose actual feces and feathers over rice, soy and corn. Anyway there are several quality foods out there, or one could make their own cat food if absolutely against processed cat foods. Why do people feed their carnivore cats vegan diets? I'm at a loss to understand this.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Limerick gets Iams kitten dry food every day. about once a week he gets some sheeba or some other wet food, and of course TUNA!!! That's for traning and when he is a very good boy. He kinda knows how to "speak" on command. It's really cute. He also learning how to "come" when I call him. I think that's something all pets need to know for safty.
Does anyone know when I should start him on adult food??? Limerick is 9 months old now.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eburgess

Limerick gets Iams kitten dry food every day. about once a week he gets some sheeba or some other wet food, and of course TUNA!!! That's for traning and when he is a very good boy. He kinda knows how to "speak" on command. It's really cute. He also learning how to "come" when I call him. I think that's something all pets need to know for safty.
Does anyone know when I should start him on adult food??? Limerick is 9 months old now.
If hes happy and eating his current food well, let him go to a year of age before making the change from kitten to adult formula.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone has more up to date info correct this for me...

Q. What do the various Food Grades Mean?

A.
Grading is based on standards, and standards are based on measurable attributes that describe the value and utility of the product. Beef quality standards, for instance are based on attributes such as marbling (the amount of fat interspersed with lean meat) color, firmness, texture, and age of the animal, for each grade. In turn, these factors are a good indication of tenderness, juiciness, flavor of the meat, and all characteristics important to consumers. Prime, choice and select are all grades familiar to consumers of beef. Standards for each product describe the entire range of quality for a product,and the number of grades varies by commodity. There are eight grades for beef, three each for chickens, eggs and turkeys. On the other hand, there are 45 grades for cotton, 32 grade standards and specifications for dairy products, and more than 312 fruit, vegetable, and speciality product standards. From the USDA website 02/03/05

I remember learning about the grading system for human and animals food...
Eggs : AA very centered and proper ht yolks
A good centering and ht of yolks
B flatter yolks and not center
C yolk and white mixed
aa-c all "human grade"
D animal feed only, farm animals

Chicken
Grade A Restaurant and Table ready
Grade B Fast food chains... some cosmetic imperfections
Grade C Things like frozen chn breast
Any pet food company using a USDA inpected meat is human grade

In closing if it reads chn or chn meal it is fit for human consumtion only by products would not be , though a few humans eat them..

I feed my cats a mix///
Kandie is 16.5 yrs has kidney trouble... max cat senior dry, vet approved dog food cans lower in protien and phos... she like s natural choice dog senior , natural balence beef , occational a cat can max veal pate or merrick or natural choice indoor senior...she also get fresh cooked meat veggies and what ever carb I can get her to eat... baby food she loves the organic with meat and fruitsand gerber toddler turkey sticks

Zoey about age one hates meat , hates canned... loves her natural choice adult indoor dry and the occational bit of dog food

Both get solid gold flax seed oil and glucosimine and condrodine powder from a human pill... treats max cat treats in tarter control and weird but true aquaryums...

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We feed our kitties the Wellness dry and every now and then I will buy a small bag of one of the other premium foods to give them some variety. They like Chicken Soup, and Organix but seem to prefer the Wellness.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just switched Bella over to a raw food diet. I started with raw chicken, but she seems to like the raw turkey better (it's also easier for me to prepare). I got the recipe from http://www.catnutrition.org/. I've already seen a slight improvement in her stools (she has inflammatory bowel disease)!

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my kittys Puriana Cat Chow Indoor Formula, and Special Kitty canned food. The cat chow has wonderful hairball control, and has weight management, which is purrrfect for my FAT cat, Billy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Julya

Just switched Bella over to a raw food diet. I started with raw chicken, but she seems to like the raw turkey better (it's also easier for me to prepare). I got the recipe from http://www.catnutrition.org/. I've already seen a slight improvement in her stools (she has inflammatory bowel disease)!
I have looked into partial raw... anyone know of any reciepes for a kidney diesease kitty

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I have looked into partial raw... anyone know of any reciepes for a kidney diesease kitty
It's not a choice I will be making, but here is a site I respect with links to homemade diets including raw (see the holisticats link for instance):
tanya's site

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you ... I think I will continue the current course of rotating baby , dog and cat food in the wet form