Comprehensive cat food poll - what do you feed your cats?

nicoleh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was giving my cat Sparks a little bit of both kinds of food. She would get dry food in the morning. "Whiskas" and when I got home from work i would give her some "Whiskas" pouch food. She is pregnant now, and I can't get her to eat the dry food anymore!:] She just sits there and meows at me till I give her the pouch food! I guess no more dry food for her! :]

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by nicoleh

I was giving my cat Sparks a little bit of both kinds of food. She would get dry food in the morning. "Whiskas" and when I got home from work i would give her some "Whiskas" pouch food. She is pregnant now, and I can't get her to eat the dry food anymore!:] She just sits there and meows at me till I give her the pouch food! I guess no more dry food for her! :]
I hope it is a packet of kitten food

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

I think canned cat food is better than dry cat food because Sunshine is allergic to corn. It is much easier for the cats to eat low-carb if they are on canned cat food.
There are many dry cat foods that do not contain corn such as: Wellness, California Natural, Innova, and Natural Balance. I believe it is best to have mixture of dry and wet. I do not like that most canned foods have by-products in them. Is there a reason why your kitty needs a low carb diet?

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

there a reason why your kitty needs a low carb diet?
While I know that Shengmei will answer your question specifically, I thought you might find this excellent page on the topic of interest
Click Here

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That leaves another question. How can we tell how many carbs our kitties are eating? I don't see it listed on Summer's dry cat food bag or even online as an ingrediant. I was just curious because I have heard of people putting their dogs on low carb diets because they were.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

That leaves another question. How can we tell how many carbs our kitties are eating? I don't see it listed on Summer's dry cat food bag or even online as an ingrediant. I was just curious because I have heard of people putting their dogs on low carb diets because they were.
That's a good question, I'm not sure I'd be answering it completely, so will just give the following thought. You can look at the ingredients list -the first listed ingredient is present in the highest proportion in the food - as you go over this list, see how many flours and grains are included.

Folks seeking to have their cats (who more so than dogs, need a protein based diet - dogs are omnivores, cats are obligate carnivores) on a lower carb food, will either want to consider the new to the market Innova EVO, or switching to a canned food diet or homecooked or raw diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
take kittys dry food and add the protein and fat together and then subtract from 100.... here is Zoeys 34 protein and 21 fat... 34+21 =55 so her food is 45% carbs

I would try theEvo if you need dry ... but wet and homecooked work well as 50% of Zoey and Gigi the dogs diets and 100% of Kandies

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can i change my vote? Ive been feeding canned wellness, but im gradualy going to switch to raw chicken, emu and lamb starting next week. Im only feeding muscle meat, so im adding Wysongs 'call of the wild' to make it a complete diet. There is a local farmers-co op where I can get localy grown organic meats delivered fresh as possible the same day it leaves the butchery.

my input on the carbs question. cats do not need to eat carbs at all, neither do dogs. although healthy fibers are excellent. There is no minimum RDA for carbs in cats/dogs as is for humans. Although having fresh grasses available is a good idea. so no one ought to worry about meating any sort of carb need, much more vital for our pets to get lots of protein.

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

take kittys dry food and add the protein and fat together and then subtract from 100.... here is Zoeys 34 protein and 21 fat... 34+21 =55 so her food is 45% carbs

I would try theEvo if you need dry ... but wet and homecooked work well as 50% of Zoey and Gigi the dogs diets and 100% of Kandies
To calculate carbohydrates, you're supposed to add the protein + fat + fiber + ash + moisture then subtract that total from 100. I'm sure your food has less than 45% carbs.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
fiber is a carb... ash is minerals left when burned ... so subtracting those doesnt make any sence..I am unsure about the mositure..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i posted earlier, but have since been trying out all the different options, & have settled on the 'chicken soup' brand - much less expensive than most, but still very high quality. & the girls like it, too!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i posted earlier, but have since been trying out all the different options, & have settled on the 'chicken soup' brand - much less expensive than most, but still very high quality. & the girls like it, too!
chn soup is good and if it is cheaper in your area good for you...

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have officially settled on Cal Natural here...it's fine for all stages when supplemented with meat, which we do. Both cats love it and are not wrought with a tendency to get URI's any longer! In about 2 weeks, their symptoms (some chronic sniffling and sneezing...don't worry, we've been vet checked and we're fine) disappeared and haven't been back in the time I've been feeding it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

We have officially settled on Cal Natural here...it's fine for all stages when supplemented with meat, which we do. Both cats love it and are not wrought with a tendency to get URI's any longer! In about 2 weeks, their symptoms (some chronic sniffling and sneezing...don't worry, we've been vet checked and we're fine) disappeared and haven't been back in the time I've been feeding it.
Cal natural is great for sensitive kids ... nice and simple and I love the high fatty acids