Cataracts

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We had our eye appts yesterday. And I found out what I had already suspected: I have a huge cataract in one of my eyes. No new glasses until that's taken care of.

I've been dealing with double vision, extreme blurriness, faded colors (really faded colors), and haloes in that eye. And it's only that eye. I was worried about diabetes, macular degeneration, cancer, you name it, I thought about it. But it's "just" a cataract, albeit a big one. And my logical self already suspected that.

My eye doctor is setting things up with the eye center in town for another evaluation and probably surgery. And I'm a mess.

You know me. I know that cataract surgery is routine and all that. But that doesn't mean that I'm not scared poopless (and it hasn't even been scheduled yet!).

Have any of you had cataract surgery? Did you have any trouble? Are you glad you went through with it?

No matter what, I'm having the surgery. I'm really having trouble with regular books now and forget paperbacks. I can't read them. And I'm really tired of trying to read recipes and having to maneuver cookbooks up, down, back, and forth just to see if it's really 1/4 teaspoon.

Thanks!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
But that doesn't mean that I'm not scared poopless (and it hasn't even been scheduled yet!).
Oh I would be too!

Have any of you had cataract surgery? Did you have any trouble?
I have not, but my mother had it done in her 80's. She did have complications. I guess one of the eye drops that they give didn't work out for her and she had fluid build up. They were able to switch the eye drops and have her on a longer course of the drop and it all worked out just fine. For the second eye the doctor put her on the second eye drop and did a longer course again and it all worked out fine.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I know many people who have had cataract surgery.. Never the less, I would be scared also.. ((hugs))

I have cataracts in both eyes. My eye doctor says they are small--was noticed a few years ago. My right eye is worse than the left. I can tell.. The other day, I felt as if a film was covering my eye--as if I was looking through a piece of plastic wrap.
They are not at the point which they need to be removed.. but, man, when it does effect my vision, it is horrible. I cannot imagine how bad it is for you!

None of my friends have had complications from cataract surgery. fingers crossed... 🤞

I have heard of one person who had to have the lens replaced because it moved... but it was not an unusual complication.

From what I understand, putting in the eye drops are the worst part of the surgery. And having to take it easy. You have Rick around to help you.. great!

(((((hugs))))))

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Everyone who has had the surgery has improved vision. Some do not even need to wear glasses. I guess it depends on the strength of you vision and the lens which is put in. I hear some lenses are costly; that Medicare will not pay for them..
I think these are the more specialized ones.. astigmatism, bifocals, etc.... but not certain about this...

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both eyes done, and it was a miracle for me. One eye was so bad I mostly saw white and then things would slowly appear out of the fog. It was done one eye at a time, and was completely uneventful. No pain; just had to put eye drops in twice a day. I am now 20-25, but have to wear reading glasses. I was so grateful my eyesight was restored.

Don't hesitate about this. It's the best thing you can do for yourself, and there's nothing to be afraid of.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad and MIL have both had it done in the last few years. I remember my grandpa having it done when I was a kid. My dad also had it in just one eye. Covid delayed it on him and he was commuting several hours each way every day! He said it was the most disruptive in the rain. I talked to him a few hours after it was done and he could already see better. I'm not sure if he's using glasses anymore. I guess I haven't paid enough attention. :paperbag: My MIL had both eyes done and does still need glasses; but things are still far better. I don't like people messing with my eyes; but I've found things are always worse when I've let myself overthink about things. :hugs:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cataracts in both eyes, but one was much much worse than the other and so I had it removed last year. it is a really fast procedure but you have to get a pre op physical, arrive an hour or so early, get and IV and a ton of drops in your eye. Then they wheel you in to the surgery, give you a sedative that leaves you semi asleep and in what feels like less than five minute wheel you back out.

By the time I was out I was fully awake, waited ten minutes and was able to leave. They tell you you are supposed to have someone with you for the first 24 hours, but I didn’t feel that was necessary. I had to wear a patch over my eye the first night and visit the doctor for a recheck the next morning. I drove myself, no issues. The next visit after that was in 30 days.

Two challenges for me - the drops I had to put in made my eyes burn/itch/water for a few minutes every time I put them in and at first that was four times a day. Fortunately you decrease the number every week and I was done at a month. The other challenge lasted longer and I guess isn’t that common but I had the feeling there was something in my eye for the first three or four months. it wasn’t awful, just annoying because I had to resist the urge to rub my eye. It did go away though.

I guess many people with cataracts in both eyes have them removed a few weeks apart. I am so glad I didn’t do that. I would suggest at least a month, maybe a couple between each eye, just To make sure you are fully healed from one before the other.

As to post surgery vision. Before surgery I couldn’t even read the top line of the eye chart. At my six month recheck, I could read the bottom line.

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had it done in both eyes, in 2019. Like you, I was scared to have it done but what got me to actually go is I had met my insurance deductible and it wouldn't cost me anything. They did one eye, then one month later did the other eye. It went very smoothly. I had it done as outpatient in a hospital. They take you back, prep you, put lots of drops in your eyes, start an IV. By the time I got into the OR, I was pretty out of it but I do remember seeing the laser, or what I assume was the laser, but felt nothing, and the next thing I knew I was being wheeled to recovery. Very quick. You do have to keep your eye covered for a while, I can't remember how long but it was more than a day because I had something like an eye glass that I had to tape on. Drops weren't bad, I'm not that good at it but husband was even worse so I ended up doing it. After I had the second one done, my glasses no longer worked so I wore over the counter ones until I could have a new pair made. They weren't perfect, but I needed something and the doctor made me wait like about a month until my vision settled in to get a new pair.

The biggest issue I had was that my vision was different in each eye. I told the doctor and he just laughed and said a lot of people tell him that. It took a bit, but I did get used to it. I actually think some people have that done deliberately as an upgrade. Husband said I should go complain and I said I can see and I'm not going through that again, I will adjust.

In January I had my annual checkup at the ophthmologist and he said there were cells growing behind the lens of my left eye, which is very common after cataract surgery, and he scheduled me for a laser procedure. I was a bit nervous about that one, for I guess a silly reason. At first, he it would take about 5 minutes, so I had to ask, what if I have to cough or sneeze? He said just ask him to stop, it's not a constant beam. They put drops of different sorts, some to numb the eye, and it only took maybe a minute to actually do it. And the cloudiness I was seeing is gone. So well worth it.

You won't be sorry you had the surgery when you see how well you'll be able to see.

Pywacket21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, had both done in February and March. I’d had to stop driving at night, just wasn’t safe for me, or anyone else on the road. Left eye had 2 types of cataract. Friend drove me to outpatient surgery center. Lots of drops, quick eye done. They insisted that someone else drove. Dr says l will need glasses for reading, that’s ok. Medicare will help cost.

Yes, the various types of lenses can be very expensive.

But after the surgery I discovered I DID have white dogs, they weren’t a dingy, yellowish brown. Colors and clarity are amazing. Pywacket is a tuxedo, he looked better too.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't- yet- but probably in the near future. My older brother, however, has had both eyes done; about 3 years ago, now, and all he needs are reading glasses. The doctor asked him what type of lenses that he wanted- for near or far vision. He picked far. To date he has reported no issues.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom did, and they put in permanent lenses and she doesn't need to wear glasses anymore.
My mom was told at her last eye exam that she would need cataract surgery soonish and that she could have that done. She says it gives her the weebie-jeebies to think of anyone poking around her eyeball so she's putting it off. I'm sure it'll get to the point where she can't put it off anymore, and I'm going to encourage her to get it done before she's at an age where there's a higher chance of surgery complications.

My uncle had the surgery and had them put one eye far and one eye near. He said it took some getting used to but now he really likes it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom was told at her last eye exam that she would need cataract surgery soonish and that she could have that done. She says it gives her the weebie-jeebies to think of anyone poking around her eyeball so she's putting it off. I'm sure it'll get to the point where she can't put it off anymore, and I'm going to encourage her to get it done before she's at an age where there's a higher chance of surgery complications.

My uncle had the surgery and had them put one eye far and one eye near. He said it took some getting used to but now he really likes it.
Yeah, my mom is weird about her eyes, too (so am I), and she put it off some. Then covid put it off more. But I think now that it's over with she's glad it's done. She can see the grandbabies better. :blush:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cataract surgery for one of my eyes. The other eye has a mild cataract and I will probably need to get the lens replaced on that eye later. I took eye drops for a few weeks(?) before surgery. It was laser outpatient surgery at the doctor's facility and I was in and out in a couple of hours. The place where I had the surgery done does right eyes only in the morning and left eyes only in the afternoon, lessening the chance for error.

Healing was quick. Eyedrops are used after the surgery also. The eye that was blurry is now very clear - in fact, I now have 20/20 vision. For a few weeks after the surgery, my night vision with the new lens was very poor. The doctor said it would clear up and it did. (He was surprised that I was outside the evening of the surgery. I live in an isolated spot and outside is part of my living space!)

The other difference I noticed when I order glasses with Blu-Blocker. They sent me a blue laser with the glasses so I could see how the lens blocked blue wavelengths. When I shined the blue laser on the wall without glasses on, my old lens saw a dull blue. My surgically replaced lens saw a bright purple. There is not so much of a difference now. I never noticed the difference except when using the laser.

All in all, it was a quick, painless, easy and very beneficial experience. I was over 70 when the surgery was done.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine done a couple of years ago.Yes you'll have an IV,but you will not have a clue what's going on,and all of a sudden you wake up,they bring you a cold drink and some crackers,give you some sun glasses and off you go to have breakfast.Really...that simple.I had drops to use for 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after,and they had me to wear a shield for a few nights to protect.The other eye was done in 2 weeks...same procedure and no problems at all.Now I can't say about anyone else,but I had an appointment after we had breakfast at the surgeons office and it was just to make sure all was looking well before sending me home as I live out of town.One thing I will say...my initial visit with the surgeon...he asked me what kind of lens I wanted...I had no clue.There's a lens where you can see close up,distance or both,and he cautioned me that with the "both", people had a hard time getting used to.So,I chose the distance.I can see quite nicely far away,but I do wear cheaters to read.Works for me!

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Viewpoint of an optometrist: if you are not seeing well, cataracts is what I want it to be. They are (relatively speaking) easy to fix and your vision is restored after the surgery, unless you have other eye health conditions that limit your acuity. Complications are not common but of course can occur.

Bonus is you now get to pick your prescription. Some people went perfect distance vision, but then you would need readers for any close vision tasks. They have many multifocal options, but overall vision probably isn’t going to be as sharp and halo/glare can be an issue; these do give you the most freedom from glasses. When I need the surgery, as almost everyone does at some point, I will likely have them make me nearsighted enough to use the computer and read most things well, and just wear glasses to drive and at other times I need sharp distance vision.

You‘ll need several eye drops in the month after the surgery, but many doctors now offer a compounded drop so you only have one bottle instead of three.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! I hate people messing with my eyes, but if I'm "under" I guess I won't care.

I didn't know that you could actually choose your vision. That's actually rather cool. I'd probably go with being able to see close. I dearly love to read. And I'm already used to wearing glasses when I drive, so that's not really an issue for me.

My vision in that eye is now 20/70, with the cataract. My other eye is 20/25. The doctor had that huge E up on the wall? I couldn't see it. Oh, I could barely tell what it was, but it was all blurry and doubled. I've worn glasses since I was 3. Most of it is because of bad astigmatism in that particular eye. And I have a hate/hate relationship with bifocals; lord, but they're a pain in the butt. I have to constantly move my head up and down and back and forth to read or to even be on the computer.

I appreciate all your words of wisdom. I guess it won't be as bad as what I was thinking.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had cataract surgery several years ago. I insisted on it because colors were no longer accurate. As was mentioned upthread white was no longer white, it looked ivory to cream. Came home after first surgery and spent several minutes looking at the flame on my stove, blinking one eye closed then the other. The color was a luminous blue when viewed through the implanted lens, dull with the other.

We paid the differential to get the variable focus lenses. I have also worn glasses since I was a child. But if I was getting the surgery why not.

My eyes do fatigue if I am on the computer for a long time. I then wear no prescription +1 eyeglasses, and eye drops for dry eyes.

Himself was not thinking of getting cataract surgery until he saw how well it worked for me. They did an excellent job with him, especially when you consider that he has both astigmatism and nystagmus. Astigmatism corrected. The nystagmus - which he was born with - means that his eyes constantly flick back and forth so the doctor had a moving target to deal with.

Only issue is night driving and those horrid intensely bright headlights.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I hate people messing with my eyes, but if I'm "under" I guess I won't care.

I didn't know that you could actually choose your vision. That's actually rather cool. I'd probably go with being able to see close. I dearly love to read. And I'm already used to wearing glasses when I drive, so that's not really an issue for me.

My vision in that eye is now 20/70, with the cataract. My other eye is 20/25. The doctor had that huge E up on the wall? I couldn't see it. Oh, I could barely tell what it was, but it was all blurry and doubled. I've worn glasses since I was 3. Most of it is because of bad astigmatism in that particular eye. And I have a hate/hate relationship with bifocals; lord, but they're a pain in the butt. I have to constantly move my head up and down and back and forth to read or to even be on the computer.

I appreciate all your words of wisdom. I guess it won't be as bad as what I was thinking.
One comment, I also told the doctor I wanted to keep the same vision, be able to see up close and need glasses for far. I do not need glasses for mid distance and I can read with them off, but I can no longer read the tiny fine print on pill bottles for example, like I used to be able to.

Have you tried progressives instead of bifocals. I went right to them because I couldn't even imagine getting used to bifocals. I got used to them very quickly.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The standard lense which Medicare covers gives you the same vision as what you had pre surgery. If you want corrected vision the lense will cost you over $1000 out of pocket per eye. And if you don’t have both eyes done, your vision might be good in one eye but not the other so still require glasses.