Cataracts

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There was a man who came into the clinic when I was in the waiting room. He had had cataract surgery the day before and he had an eye patch. Not looking forward to that! They gave me a pair of extra-dark sunglasses that I am to wear on the way home from surgery and the day after surgery.

The clinic called me yesterday to go over stuff for surgery. They are adamant that I either sleep in the WeShed or keep the cats out of the bedroom. Keeping the girls out simply will not work and it's not fair to them.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thought I'd give you an update on my eyes.

I'm glad I had the surgery. I can now read my books and am not so dependent on ebooks all the time. I can read that it's "1/4 teaspoon salt" without moving the cookbook all over the place, trying to see. Colors are gorgeous! That's something I didn't realize would happen. The sky is so blue, the leaves are so green. Just beautiful. I didn't realize how foggy my world was becoming.

Because of the astigmatism, I could not chose what kind of lenses I could have. The astigmatism is so bad (and that couldn't be fixed) that all the doctor could do was give me back the vision that I had before the cataracts started. Oh, I could have chosen to try to see further away or closer, but it would have pretty much been a waste of his time and my money. It wouldn't have made that much of a difference. As it is, I'm happy with what I have. I can flop down on the couch with a book and read with no trouble. And that's what I wanted. I can't imagine life without books.

I'm still wearing glasses, well, I will be if they ever come in! It's been a month since I ordered glasses. Sunglasses are in; my regular glasses are not. And I need an itemized receipt to turn into Medicare to get money back from my glasses. They haven't given me that yet either.

I go back in for a final appt in December. I am going to talk to the doctor because, sometimes, I think I can see the end of the implant in my right eye. If I'm looking straight ahead, something seems a bit funky. But other than that, things are fine.

If you have cataracts and need surgery, get it done. You won't be sorry.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad its turned out so well for you! I remember my pastor when I was a teen talking about the colors. She was older (80ish at the time) and had worked in the fashion industry when she was a younger woman; she liked to dress nicely. She was a bit bothered to realize what she thought was cream was white and things like that.

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd give you an update on my eyes.

I'm glad I had the surgery. I can now read my books and am not so dependent on ebooks all the time. I can read that it's "1/4 teaspoon salt" without moving the cookbook all over the place, trying to see. Colors are gorgeous! That's something I didn't realize would happen. The sky is so blue, the leaves are so green. Just beautiful. I didn't realize how foggy my world was becoming.

Because of the astigmatism, I could not chose what kind of lenses I could have. The astigmatism is so bad (and that couldn't be fixed) that all the doctor could do was give me back the vision that I had before the cataracts started. Oh, I could have chosen to try to see further away or closer, but it would have pretty much been a waste of his time and my money. It wouldn't have made that much of a difference. As it is, I'm happy with what I have. I can flop down on the couch with a book and read with no trouble. And that's what I wanted. I can't imagine life without books.

I'm still wearing glasses, well, I will be if they ever come in! It's been a month since I ordered glasses. Sunglasses are in; my regular glasses are not. And I need an itemized receipt to turn into Medicare to get money back from my glasses. They haven't given me that yet either.

I go back in for a final appt in December. I am going to talk to the doctor because, sometimes, I think I can see the end of the implant in my right eye. If I'm looking straight ahead, something seems a bit funky. But other than that, things are fine.

If you have cataracts and need surgery, get it done. You won't be sorry.
Sorry to be so late, my mom would have emphatically urged surgery too. She had cataracts and she had 20/15 vision afterwards!

We've come a long LONG way since my mother's mother had had to have cataracts removed, and had to wear those AWFUL cokebottle glasses to "replace" the lenses removed. Which didn't work well at all.

Keep us apprised of your progress!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
neely neely Gently push him into having the surgery. He won't be sorry and, honestly, you get there, get prepped, and it's over and done with. Rick was just told that he has a cataract and, while it's not ready to be removed yet, Rick said he'll definitely have it done. I didn't have a choice as I couldn't see properly any longer.

Furballsmom Furballsmom The astigmatism will definitely affect what implants you can go with. And if you want to get the better implants, I'm sure you can. My doctor said mine was so bad that it really wouldn't be worth the extra money. And I'm pleased with the eye sight that I have.

Yes, I have to wear glasses.....not that I do! The only time I really wear them is when I'm driving. I wear my sunglasses whenever I go outside, even if it's just to walk down for the mail or to walk over to the Shed. But for reading and hanging out at home, I don't bother.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I opted to stay with close vision when I did my cataract implant. Just another thing to look into check out $39.00 glasses .com. All my optometrist does is give me a prescription. I buy glasses through 39 dollar glasses.
Glad it went well for you. I was also scared to death still have one eye to do, but it hasn't clouded yet.