Cat suffering from intestinal obstruction

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dheeksha Dheeksha

I am so relieved that the vet found what was wrong and that your cat made it successfully through surgery!

Sometimes as cats recover from anesthesia they can be agitated. Perhaps that is what your cat is going through.

I hope you can hold him on your lap soon. He probably does not understand why he is caged.

Surgery causes pain at the incision site, so do see that he gets pain medicine and fluids as soon as the clinic opens.

Ask if you can put a few drops of honey on his gums, or honey water drops in his mouth. His mouth is likely very dry, especially if he vomited. He was likely nauseous from the anesthesia drugs wearing off, and may need anti-nausea meds.

I think you are doing a fantastic job taking care of your cat through all of this stress and uncertainty! I know you love your cat very much, and I will pray that he has a successful recovery.

Please do give us an update later in your day after you have been to the clinic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is extremely weak. He is falling when trying to stand. His eyes are sunken. Called the vet he told me to give him ors orally.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet strictly told me not to give him any extra IV fluids. He gave him 50 ml DNS, 50ml RL and 15 ml metrogyl.. prednisolone, antibiotic, Rantac, ondem shots. He said these fluids are enough for his body. But he appears very weak. He didn't give him any injections for pain. I don't know whether he's in pain or it's weakness. He feels so restless.. his face is very upset, eyes are sunken.. changing his sleeping position often. His respiratory rate is 72 breaths per minute.
Also he pooped it is green in color.
Today evening when I called the vet he told me to give him ors. I gave it to him but he vomited it. He said to dilute it more but not give him anymore IV fluids. He has to be given IV fluids again tomorrow..until then told me to give him ors. I called another vet.. he also said these fluids will be enough for his body. I asked him if there's any problem if he's given extra IV fluids. He said that will cause abdomen distention.

Can cats survive on IV fluids for these many days?

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dheeksha Dheeksha

I am so relieved that the vet found what was wrong and that your cat made it successfully through surgery!

Sometimes as cats recover from anesthesia they can be agitated. Perhaps that is what your cat is going through.

I hope you can hold him on your lap soon. He probably does not understand why he is caged.

Surgery causes pain at the incision site, so do see that he gets pain medicine and fluids as soon as the clinic opens.

Ask if you can put a few drops of honey on his gums, or honey water drops in his mouth. His mouth is likely very dry, especially if he vomited. He was likely nauseous from the anesthesia drugs wearing off, and may need anti-nausea meds.

I think you are doing a fantastic job taking care of your cat through all of this stress and uncertainty! I know you love your cat very much, and I will pray that he has a successful recovery.

Please do give us an update later in your day after you have been to the clinic.
Vet told me to not give him anything except for ors and glucose that too very diluted.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Obviously he should be seen, but I understand no vet is open right now. He needs to be prescribed pain medication, but sadly you must wait for the vet because nothing for people will help for cats and all people pain medications are highly toxic to cats.
Please, when you speak to the vet, express your concern regarding hepatic lipidosis. It is fatty liver disease cats can get from not eating. Watch for any sign of yellow on the inside of his ear flaps or above his eyes where the hair is thin.
For now, can you lay down next to the cage and put your hand in the cage and try to get some rest that way? Will that help calm him at all?
Did they say what the mass looked like. Did they think it was a tumor? Has he had intestinal problems ever before? Like vomiting or constipation or diarrhea? I mean before this incident happened? Did they send the mass to a laboratory, if they thought it was a tumor?
I kept his crate on my bed. I am beside him.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very scared. Will he survive?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
His respiratory rate is 56 now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He should be able to survive until he can eat again, but he will be very weak. How many more days until he can eat?

What is omdem?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He should be able to survive until he can eat again, but he will be very weak. How many more days until he can eat?

What is omdem?
After three days I think. He last ate on Tuesday morning but he vomited it then. Today is Saturday night. He got operated on Friday afternoon.
Ondem is ondansetron.. it's an antiemitic drug

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's sleeping in this position. His respiratory rate is 46 here.
The respiratory rate (I presume you mean breaths per minute) coming down is a good thing.

It sounds like a long list of things the vet gave him, but they all seem to be meant to help him out. He is going to be weak for a number of reasons - lack of food, possible pain, and certainly his body trying to recover from surgery.

The pic of the position he was lying in looks to me to mean that he just doesn't feel great, but all that he has been through is certainly a good reason for that.

The greenish colored poop is likely from digestive acids/juices that are being produced with no food to absorb them. Kind of not surprising. But, I will consider him pooping to be a good sign too.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The respiratory rate (I presume you mean breaths per minute) coming down is a good thing.

It sounds like a long list of things the vet gave him, but they all seem to be meant to help him out. He is going to be weak for a number of reasons - lack of food, possible pain, and certainly his body trying to recover from surgery.

The pic of the position he was lying in looks to me to mean that he just doesn't feel great, but all that he has been through is certainly a good reason for that.

The greenish colored poop is likely from digestive acids/juices that are being produced with no food to absorb them. Kind of not surprising. But, I will consider him pooping to be a good sign too.
My mom said it looks like he's in pain more than weakness.. his anesthesia has wear off completely.. so he might be feeling pain. The vet didn't give him any injection for pain. Does prednisolone acts as pain killer too ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he peeing?

Also, wanted to say that with all the meds he was given, they too will likely contribute to his not feeling well. While he needs them, some of them can cause stomach upset, and unfortunately that is typical.

Prednisolone could help a bit with pain because it helps to reduce inflammation which can be one source of pain. The vet might think with all of the other meds he was given that they didn't want to add any more at this time. Just keep telling them that he appears to be in pain and see what they say.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he peeing?

Also, wanted to say that with all the meds he was given, they too will likely contribute to his not feeling well. While he needs them, some of them can cause stomach upset, and unfortunately that is typical.

Prednisolone could help a bit with pain because it helps to reduce inflammation which can be one source of pain. The vet might think with all of the other meds he was given that they didn't want to add any more at this time. Just keep telling them that he appears to be in pain and see what they say.
He's peeing normally.

The vet is getting serious when I'm asking him all these questions. He told me to do what he says. Tomorrow is Sunday.. He won't come to the hospital. Only the junior doctors will be available. I have to call him again.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Only ask if you feel comfortable doing so. Maybe you can just ask if the vet will explain why they don't want to give him pain meds just so you can understand why not. Tell them you are not questioning them, but just want to understand.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's sleeping for more than 5 hours continuously. Is that normal? I am not waking him up to give ors. Should I give it to him now?

Last edited: