Cat suffering from intestinal obstruction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He woke up.. I petted him.. looked at me and slept again. He looks upset and very weak.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have nothing of any value to offer you - just my support. A perforation would most likely show up in an x-ray. So, if that has not been mentioned, it hadn't happened at the time of his last x-ray. Are the vets going to share with you the results of the upcoming x-ray before they actually do surgery?

A blockage does not have to be fatal if not immediately treated, but every case is different. Not eating is not good, but it is a plus in a sense in that he is not accumulating more food in his intestines - if there is a blockage. He will most likely be placed on IV fluids that will probably also contain nutrients to help stabilize him.

Counting down the hours with you until you and he are back at the vet's again.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have nothing of any value to offer you - just my support. A perforation would most likely show up in an x-ray. So, if that has not mentioned, it hadn't happened at the time of his last x-ray. Are the vets going to share with you the results of the upcoming x-ray before they actually do surgery?

A blockage does not have to be fatal if not immediately treated, but every case is different. Not eating is not good, but it is a plus in a sense in that he is not accumulating more food in his intestines - if there is a blockage. He will most likely be placed on IV fluids that will probably also contain nutrients to help stabilize him.

Counting down the hours with you until you and he are back at the vet's again.
Yes they gonna share it to me. Yesterday at 3 pm they took an x ray.. even then they didn't mention about perforation. They only said they couldn't see where the blockage was. The barium sulphate was still entering into his intestines then.
Now my cat woke up.. it seems like he is saying something to me. Looking very upset and his voice is also very weak.
Is this due to lack of food or he's getting very sick I don't understand.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
After the surgery he can't eat today also?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's throwing up white foam again. Tried to defecate. His voice is weak. Rubbed his forehead to my face and asked me to pet him. I think he is in pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He probably isn't feeling very good, and he is weak from lack of food and water. Throwing up now just likely means he is sick from stomach acids collecting that can't be absorbed by food, as would be normal. Whether or not they do surgery, I can't imagine they won't put him on IV fluids when you get back to the vets.

If he has surgery, they will still put him on IV fluids - with nutritional value - while they wait for him to heal. It all depends on how extensive the surgery would be as to when he will be able to eat his own food again.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could try to give your cat some water with honey mixed in. Use a syringe and give a small amount at a time. If he takes it and he does not vomit, the honey water will help to hydrate him a bit.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's throwing up white foam again. Tried to defecate. His voice is weak. Rubbed his forehead to my face and asked me to pet him. I think he is in pain.
Very occasionally, my cats will get a piece of hard dry stool "stuck" in their colon. They will strain to defecate, vomit that white foam, and generally act unwell. Almost 100% of the time, I can "feel" it in their colon by gently feeling around the area. Can you feel anything stuck in that area around his anus? (This would be a much easier fix than an obstruction.)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is your cat now?
If there is a perforated intestine, it will show with the barium. Barium is a white liquid that shows up on X-ray as a white glowing substance. Usually an X-ray is taken before anything happens both on the cats side and on his back. (2 views) Then usually 40 to 50 mls of barium is given and an X-ray 2 is taken.That is considered the 0 film. Then 2 X-rays at 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 120 minutes, a 3 hour and a four hour etc. Sometimes the times will vary. It all depends on what the Vet sees. But what they should see is the barium, that looks white going through the entire GI tract.

What concerns me is that your cat is so weak and is vomiting foam. It also sounds like it has been a long time since he ate.

Is there any specialty hospitals or a Veterinary University near you? Is there a veterinary emergency hospital near you?

My concern is that if they do take him to surgery at this point, he is so weak. You might want to look for a specialty hospital. Has anyone repeated bloodwork?
Please let me know how he is doing. If he is vomiting, don’t offer him anything by mouth. I hope it is already 9 am where you are snd he is being cared for already.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He had abdominal surgery yesterday. We stayed at the hospital till night. There was a mass that formed between stomach and intestines. The vet has removed it and sutured it. He said not to give him any food or liquids for 5 days. Told me to bring to the hospital for IV fluids. He said he's in high risk for 5 days. Few minutes ago he vomited. I think there was blood in it. I will attach the pics.. please see them. I am very scared.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad he made it through surgery. But please contact the vet and tell them about him vomiting and that you think there is blood involved.

Why won't they keep him in the hospital for at least a day or two? You may have explained that before with one of your other cats, but I can't remember. I would have thought they would want him on IV fluids around the clock at least initially.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad he made it through surgery. But please contact the vet and tell them about him vomiting and that you think there is blood involved.

Why won't they keep him in the hospital for at least a day or two? You may have explained that before with one of your other cats, but I can't remember. I would have thought they would want him on IV fluids around the clock at least initially.
The hospital will be closed in the evening. I don't know what to do. I kept him in the crate. He's not calming down.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has the hospital closed yet? If not, call them and ask for some guidance. Can they direct you to an emergency location to take him to? Did they give you any pain meds to give him?
It's night 3 o clock now. He's shouting so loudly..not calming down trying to come out of the crate. Not taking rest at all. I will contact other clinics in the morning who will allow me too to stay with him in the clinic.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
May be he is feeling groggy due to the anesthesia. But he should take rest now. He's not listening at all. When I am trying to calm him he is getting so angry. Constantly moving in the crate.

Attachments

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, none of these clinics are open now? He could be groggy, but I worry about his pain.

Try to remain calm yourself, he could also be reacting to you and your anxiety.
They are not open now.

I slept for an hour when he was still sleepy. I woke up listening to the sounds. He is moving in the crate continuously.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Obviously he should be seen, but I understand no vet is open right now. He needs to be prescribed pain medication, but sadly you must wait for the vet because nothing for people will help for cats and all people pain medications are highly toxic to cats.
Please, when you speak to the vet, express your concern regarding hepatic lipidosis. It is fatty liver disease cats can get from not eating. Watch for any sign of yellow on the inside of his ear flaps or above his eyes where the hair is thin.
For now, can you lay down next to the cage and put your hand in the cage and try to get some rest that way? Will that help calm him at all?
Did they say what the mass looked like. Did they think it was a tumor? Has he had intestinal problems ever before? Like vomiting or constipation or diarrhea? I mean before this incident happened? Did they send the mass to a laboratory, if they thought it was a tumor?