Cat suffering from intestinal obstruction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. Are you seeing the vet today? I hope they can do something quickly to help him. You may need to be insistent that they do. Please keep us updated. I hope for the very best!
The vet I met day before yesterday scolded me saying I never listen to him.
I met another vet yesterday and he gave this barium sulphate to the cat. He said he will see where the obstruction is and perform the surgery today morning if it's needed.

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Will he survive?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the vet gave the barium sulphate to your cat yesterday, why is your cat not with that vet now?

Your cat may not survive if he does not receive the treatment he needs soon. This appears to be an emergency, and your cat sounds very sick. Please get your cat to the vet as soon as possible. I do not know which time zone you reside in.

I will pray your cat pulls through!

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the vet gave the barium sulphate to your cat yesterday, why is your cat not with that vet now?

Your cat may not survive if he does not receive the treatment he needs soon. This appears to be an emergency, and your cat sounds very sick. Please get your cat to the vet as soon as possible. I do not know which time zone you reside in.

I will pray your cat pulls through!
It's 1:45 am in my country. I stayed in the hospital till 5 pm yesterday. He told me to bring the cat today morning. He said he will perform the surgery today morning

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's now not trying to poop. Just sleeping next to me and is weak.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If there is no other option, or only this vet says that he will operate, you need to be at the clinic when they open in the morning. This sounds very serious.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
They took multiple x rays yesterday. They are saying there is no inflammation in the intestines. Is his weakness due to lack of food or the obstruction is getting worse?

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there is no other option, or only this vet says that he will operate, you need to be at the clinic when they open in the morning. This sounds very serious.
Any other option means what should I do? If I go to another vet.. I have to explain them everything from the beginning. And even they take time to perform the surgery, right?
This vet told me to come at 9 am today. He said he will do another x ray and perform the surgery. It's now 2 am.
I am shaking with fear.

Last edited:

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there's a leak in the intestines then that will make him sick, right? The vet said there's no inflammation which means he still not get infected, isn't it?
But he is very weak and sleeping not even straining to pass the stool. When I brought him home yesterday evening. He did try to defecate.
I just need to know he still have time to be treated, right? Please I just want him.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He just woke up. I petted him. He responded to my touch and is sleeping again. Checked his body temperature. It's normal. He can get cured if they do surgery to him today morning, right?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
If there's a leakage in the intestines and gets infected. The body temperature increases?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do understand your point about going to a new doctor that might not want to do the surgery and then you are right back to where you started. It sounds as if your only choice is to wait for this doctor to open his clinic and to be there immediately. We cannot tell you for sure what is going on with your cat. A lot of ideas have been suggested but he does not seem to be improving, and we still don't know if he has something like a perforation in his GI tract or if he is blocked.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do understand your point about going to a new doctor that might not want to do the surgery and then you are right back to where you started. It sounds as if your only choice is to wait for this doctor to open his clinic and to be there immediately. We cannot tell you for sure what is going on with your cat. A lot of ideas have been suggested but he does not seem to be improving, and we still don't know if he has something like a perforation in his GI tract or if he is blocked.
Perforated means what? If it is that will show up in x ray? The vet said his abdomen is not distended.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am sure from the beginning it was a blockage. The vet didn't listen to me.
He has diarrhea already but was fine and eating normal. But three days ago he ate that food pouch. The plastic wrap was shredded into pieces. May be he ingested some of those pieces. From then onwards he started throwing up and that day night I have seen him straining to defecate. I took him to the vet immediately the next day morning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
A perforation is a tear in the intestinal wall which allows the contents of the intestines to seep into the abdominal cavity. A large enough blockage in the abdomen or intestine can cause the rupture. The same thing happens in humans. It is very painful (it happened to a human friend of mine and I was in the ER with her) and I am guessing that it is just as painful in cats and you would see that. We don't know that your cat has this, or exactly what is happening, so this may not be it at all. We only know that he has to see a vet as soon as they open.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
What exactly happens if the blockage was not treated for 3 days even though it is not perforated?