Cat suffering from intestinal obstruction

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dheeksha

Black Cats are full of love ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Sarthur2 Sarthur2
He woke up after 5 hours now. Looked at me. I petted him. When I'm petting him.. He made faint meows and his third eyelids are showing. He again went to sleep. Not active at all. He looks so tired. Yesterday night he was very active.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Were you able to give him some ors while he was awake? Sometimes a cat's third eyelid will show when waking up from a heavy sleep. For now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yesterday he was probably more active, assuming the anesthesia had not worn off completely. I am sure he is very tired at this point.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Were you able to give him some ors while he was awake? Sometimes a cat's third eyelid will show when waking up from a heavy sleep. For now, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yesterday he was probably more active, assuming the anesthesia had not worn off completely. I am sure he is very tired at this point.
No I didn't. I was scared he might throw up again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know he threw it up once, but I thought you had given it to him since then and he didn't. Try to give him some the next time he wakes up. You can always do a smaller amount right when he wakes up if you are worried. But, you need to try in the hopes he keeps it down.

I also got to thinking about the fluids. What you said they gave him really is sufficient for one day's time.

Just remember to say calm so he can feel that from you and don't forget that these first few days after surgery are going to be the toughest.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know he threw it up once, but I thought you had given it to him since then and he didn't. Try to give him some the next time he wakes up. You can always do a smaller amount right when he wakes up if you are worried. But, you need to try in the hopes he keeps it down.

I also got to thinking about the fluids. What you said they gave him really is sufficient for one day's time.

Just remember to say calm so he can feel that from you and don't forget that these first few days after surgery are going to be the toughest.
The vet said it's enough. another vet also refused to give him iv fluids.

I will give him some ors.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, so he does need the ors. It will help him. It is normal for him to feel very weak, tired, and terrible at this point. The days 2-3 after surgery are the hardest. He will start to turn the corner from pain about 3 days after surgery. He will make it, but continue to take him for fluids and any meds he needs each day until he is allowed to eat again.

When he is allowed to eat again, it must be very soft and easy food. Begin to think of very soft pate food that he can have small amounts of when the time comes. He will only be allowed a tiny bit at a time every few hours while his system adjusts.

He will need a long recovery of perhaps a few weeks after he is allowed to eat again. You are doing a fantastic job of being there for him and taking excellent care of him so far. Try to sleep when he sleeps, and hang in there! I have every hope in the world that he will be well again!

Dheeksha Dheeksha

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is rare, but not impossible, for a cat to catch the flu from a human.

Can your mom give him the ors? Will you still be able to take him to the vet for fluids and checkups? Unfortunately, these things need to occur one way or the other. If you have to be the one to do them, wear a mask around him and clean your hands often.

How is he doing?

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is rare, but not impossible, for a cat to catch the flu from a human.

Can your mom give him the ors? Will you still be able to take him to the vet for fluids and checkups? Unfortunately, these things need to occur one way or the other. If you have to be the one to do them, wear a mask around him and clean your hands often.

How is he doing?
My mom had a stroke recently. It's dangerous for her too. I told her to go upstairs and also she can't handle him alone.
I am wearing a mask and gloves now.

He's doing little better than yesterday. Responding to me.. grooming his fur.. watching the surroundings.. when my mom gave food to the cats he got alert and meowed like he wants it too.

Dheeksha

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please let us know what is going on. With no updates, I am afraid that means things are not good. But I am wishing and hoping for the best - for both your cat and you.
He's eating now... His health is improving.. vet said he doesn't need IV fluids anymore as he is eating good. Told me to bring him to the hospital again after 2-3 days for his suture removal.

He ate after 9 days. When I first gave him food he seemed not interested and vomited it. I was so scared and took him to the hospital immediately. Vet said no need to worry.. gave him some shots and prescribed sucralfate. He told me to give this medicine half an hour before feeding him. I am giving him pate.. mixing some ors and prebiotics & probiotics solution into it and mashing it super soft. The first 2 days I fed him little amount for six times. Gradually increased the amount.. now feeding him 4 times a day.

I thought of giving an update.. I would have but My health was so bad the past week.. high temperature.. severe body pains and not able to eat anything due to throat pain. And on top of that two of my other cats were having diarrhea and not eating. They were not taking oral medicines and I don't have strength to hold them tight to give the medicine. It was hard for me to take three cats to the hospital. I was exhausted.
They are doing good now.