Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just syringe fed him with the help of my mom and it was a very messy ordeal, but I think one syringe is more than the 4 I was giving him before, so I think it evens out. I also gave him the antibiotics again, and he squirmed and I think he probably only got 3/4ths of it, and the rest on my mom and me. I didn't want to try again, though, becuase he was already drooling. Maybe again later I'll give him a little bit more.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to check on him just now and noticed that his mouth is all crusty. I tried to clean some up, but I don't think I did a very good job. A wash cloth and water doesn't seem to do the job, and I don't want to use soap so close to his mouth. Any ideas? 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky's little mouth got like that. I would have to just wash as much as possible with water. I also had wet wipes made for cats - I used a TON of those during and after feedings.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess i'll keep trying. He's under my moms bed right now. I want to feed him again at least once before I go to bed, but he wont come out. I tried to grab him, but he hooked his claw on the carpet and I didn't want to pull. I can't reach to unhook him, either.

Edit: I almost had him, but I squeezed him too hard and hurt him and I felt really bad :( He ran farther away and I gave up for now. I'll try again in the morning. 

Last edited:

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He hasn't been in since. I don't think it would do much good. I cant afford tests right now, and I don't know what I would do if they told me it was kidney disease or something, since I can't afford treatment for it.... He's jumped up onto my moms bed today and is sitting with her, but I still cant get him to eat. 

Edit: He peed on her bed and on the blankets. I think it might be because he couldn't get off. :(

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was going to suggest calling to ask the vet for appetite stimulant, the only cost will be a small amt for the med.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like they should have given it to me if they had it or thought it would work. I've been telling them he wont eat, and that he eats a little, and then looks away. 

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like they should have given it to me if they had it or thought it would work. I've been telling them he wont eat, and that he eats a little, and then looks away. 
They won't always offer. I'm not sure why, or possibly in your case because they'd want to see him first. It actually sounds like he might be nauseous though, going by your saying that he looks at the food and then walks away. Perhaps it would be helpful to ask about anti-nausea meds as well as appetite stimulants. If he is nauseous, and you only give him the stimulants, it won't work.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ill try to ask soon. He keeps jumping up onto beds, and then lays there. He looks so sad and sick. I feel awful. 

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He hasn't been in since. I don't think it would do much good. I cant afford tests right now, and I don't know what I would do if they told me it was kidney disease or something, since I can't afford treatment for it.... He's jumped up onto my moms bed today and is sitting with her, but I still cant get him to eat. 

Edit: He peed on her bed and on the blankets. I think it might be because he couldn't get off. :(
Sorry I meant were you able to get him out from under the bed and feed him this morning?

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah. Not that morning, but I did after school and then some later after that, too.

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For crusty fur, the best way to deal with it is prevention: take a fine tooth comb and comb out any food chunks while they're still wet. You can do the same after they dry, but you're more likely to pull hair (and it sounds like he's pretty feisty already!).

My cat was kind of cleaning off her face when she drank water, getting the water bowl disgusting. I had to rinse out or replace the water bowl pretty often.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks so bad right now. He pees wherever he is and just lays down on his side and stares. I think he's in pain and I can't have him suffer. I don't want him to live a life of needles and tests and force feeding. I can't do that go my baby. My family is all staying home today and I don't know if I should bring him in to be put to sleep or have him where he's comfortable here but suffering. I've never had a pet die before. He is my first cat.

I worry that I'm being too quick to decide these things. There's a part of me that's still just waiting for him to get better. I don't feel in my heart that he will, and I feel so awful that I've made his last days like this, but I still have so much doubt. Not to mention the part of me that can't help but feel like this is my fault, like I could have and should have done more. Feed him more, hold him more, care for him better.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Maddie,

I think if is very wise of you to think about how Booty is suffering. He is suffering.

It is an immensely difficult decision to make. 

I think it is one where you have to out-weigh constant suffering vs non suffering; pain vs no pain.

It is when we come to the decision of what is right for out loved one; that we can fully accept the inevitable. That is how we can face it. 

Advisors, moderators please edit if you feel what I am saying is not correct.

It is a very personal decision to make. One you have to make yourself. ((hugs))

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know its my decision. I just need to voice my thoughts and was asking if anyone has experience. Thank you artie for all that you've done.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for what you have been going through. :hugs:

Can I suggest you look over this link? It may help make your decision, in either direction -

http://www.allpetsmacomb.com/qualityoflife.html

I had to make that decision once and it is awful to have to do. I never got an actual diagnosis and was hoping the vets would come up with something that was curable. She was in bad shape and when she tried to get up and couldn't walk and fell over instead, I knew it was time. :(

Lots of :hugs: to you.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's more than half of those and for the suggestions ive tried most of them. He can walk a little and doesn't fall over, but he walks weird and slow and needs to stop for breaks after just a few steps.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
For me, it was ultimately his final set of blood work that told me it was time for Lucky. In hindsight, he himself was trying to tell me for a couple of days, but I wasn't listening. I somehow needed that justification (which I think you are looking for also) that would come with his test results. I understand you can't afford the tests, but there are definite signs when it's closer to that time. One of the things I always read was when they no longer are able to use the litter box, or have trouble making it to the litter box. That very last day, actually after I made the decision that we'd take him in the next day, he peed three times outside the litter box. Once on my bed, once on my mom, and once on me. He also used the litter box all night long, but then would be too weak to get out right after using it, so he'd lay down in it.

That last time that Lucky peed, right on me, he had been in the bed next to me right before that. Then suddenly just got up on top of me and let loose. Staring at me the whole time. I honestly think he was trying to make sure I knew what he was saying. My mom told me that he was just showing me that he loved me by giving me something no one else could give me - ha.

Anyway, that was my experience, and fairly recent one at that.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I should have addressed this part of your post -

I still have so much doubt. Not to mention the part of me that can't help but feel like this is my fault, like I could have and should have done more. Feed him more, hold him more, care for him better.
We all feel like this when having to make this decision. No matter how much you try or do, you will feel like this. You are young, have no transportation and have no money. You are reliant on what other can do. You have done nothing but nurse him and advocate for him to get him the best food and care that your family can afford. In my opinion have done all you could have all along. No matter what you decision is, that is the truth. :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.