Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I fell asleep for a little bit and woke up and there was a little bit of red pee(it didn't look purely red, like blood) near the litter box, and then he tried to go a little but just sat down instead. I took him out and put him down on the couch to sit and pet him, but he jumped off and laid down in the kitchen. My brother suffered from serious asthma when he was younger, so we have a mini nebulizer and some medicine. I looked up the type we had and it said it was safe, but I diluted it a lot and tried getting him to breathe the "steam". Before, his sides were heaving like earlier, but now it seems to have slowed down some, to 40 breaths a minute. Still high, but it doesnt look as painful as before. I know human meds are a no-no for cats, but I don't think it could get much worse. Listening to him, it still sounds like shuddering/purring when he breathes, but it's not as bad as before. Oxygen would probably definitely be beneficial again, but I don't think I could drag him out to another vet again today even if I did have the money.

Currently, he's lying in the kitchen again with his eyes closed, "sleeping". Its not as disconcerting as yesterday, when he wouldnt close his eyes and just stared, like he was sleeping with his eyes open, as somebody said earlier. 

The vet did say that she suspected aspiration pneumonia. I know it's bad. I'm hoping the antibiotics help him, and that he makes it to tomorrow morning when I can give him more. At midnight I can give him more pain meds to hopefully relief some discomfort.

Thank you all.
Yes I agree, yesterday the pics showing his glare while in sleeping position was very unsettling, he needs sleep, so it's very good if he is able to. Sleep means turning off sights and sounds for the most part, or at least lessening them, completely undisturbed sleep heals. It allows his brain to rest some rather than thinking of the sounds and sights, etc and resting his brain means focus on healing.

Believe me, it's either focused on healing if he is able, or on dying, and shutting down bit by bit.

Not saying that he is, I mean that's how a cat works. All on healing, if unable, then all on shutting down.

So, sleep is good :)

I just want to say that you have all of us here thinking of you and Booty, I will be up for another couple of hours then will be back first thing.

Hoping for a bit of light in the am, a glimmer of hope.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@rpandcat  It's possible, I think. I can't get it today, but if he pulls through the night I will consider it.

I just did another nebulizer session because I noticed his breathing getting hard again, though this time I put him in a tub with some holes and a cover, so it was more confined and so he inhaled more. It's down to 37 breaths/minute, which is a few lower than before. He's in the bathroom now.
Please be extremely careful with this okay?

Did you say he got an antibiotic injection today along with some to take home? Do you know what kind?

Also remember the reason for faster breaths is to keep enough oxygen coming in. If he has pneumonia his lungs have some of their capacity space taken by fluid which means breathing faster to make up for this.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His eyes are open, but I'll try to leave him alone for awhile and hope that he'll sleep. Thank you for all your thoughts, guys. I'm very thankful for all of you.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Please be extremely careful with this okay?

Did you say he got an antibiotic injection today along with some to take home? Do you know what kind?
The antibiotic injection just says antibiotic injection on my bill and I don't have anymore details. I have orbax orbifloxacin as oral liquid antibiotics, but I haven't given him any of that yet. The painmeds are buprenorphine again, and he has had that.

I'm being as careful as I can. Like I said before, though, I don't think it can get worse. I'm mostly trying to ease his pain. Thank you for the concern.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can start the orbax tonight I would.

He needs that infection hit hard if he has any chance of turning around.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can try to give it to him. The vet said to wait until morning, but if you think it'll help.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ill try to go to Dicks Sporting Goods tomorrow to see if they have anything. I don't know of any diving stores...

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His temp has dropped again. 98.6. We're putting him on the heating blanket again. I hope its because he's been lying on the cold floors. 

Edit: May have been a false alarm. I took another cats temp, and it was actually lower, and she's perfectly healthy. I think it may be the thermometer. 

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

His temp has dropped again. 98.6. We're putting him on the heating blanket again. I hope its because he's been lying on the cold floors. 

Edit: May have been a false alarm. I took another cats temp, and it was actually lower, and she's perfectly healthy. I think it may be the thermometer. 
Well that's a good thing to know :) Scared me for a sec.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Final update for the night I think

I gave him some of the antibiotics and the pain meds. I'm kinda regretting giving him so many meds in such a short time(these + the nebulizer). He was fine for awhile, resting, but then he walked out of the kitchen and into the living room and I noticed he was drooling and foaming at the mouth I guess. It was a very scary sight. I wiped it up. I don't really know what to do about it. Maybe he tried to throw up again, but couldn't quite do it. 

Ill update in the morning. I plan on checking on him throughout the night.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Final update for the night I think

I gave him some of the antibiotics and the pain meds. I'm kinda regretting giving him so many meds in such a short time(these + the nebulizer). He was fine for awhile, resting, but then he walked out of the kitchen and into the living room and I noticed he was drooling and foaming at the mouth I guess. It was a very scary sight. I wiped it up. I don't really know what to do about it. Maybe he tried to throw up again, but couldn't quite do it. 

Ill update in the morning. I plan on checking on him throughout the night.
The meds can make them drool due to the bad taste.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update:

I woke up and went to check on him and he's still around but looks bad. I think he must have laid down in a plate of water I had out for him because his side was cold and wet but it didn't smell like anything. I didn't see anymore drool. He felt cold so I turned the blanket on low and put him on it.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hes awake and here now. Breathing sounds a little better but not by much. I'm thinking of bringing him to the vet again to give him more fluids hopefully. He still hasn't eaten and I think he might have an easier time getting better if he had some energy. Do you guys think its a good idea to maybe water down some wet food and feed it to him in a syringe?

Edit: just tried to feed him some water with it, but he's gotten a lot more fiesty. He scratched me up pretty bad and ran away, but I'll take this as a "better" sign and keep trying.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. I am back. I would not do anymore nebulizers. At least for a bit. Could you call the vet and tell them what you are doing.
Hoping someone else can come on line to advise more than I can.
I was thinking of you guys all night.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. I don't plan on doing it again right now. When I do do it, I only run it for about half the time that it could go for(3 minutes of 5 usually) and then the medicine then is very diluted. It's also old so probably weak to begin with. But I understand and will refrain from doing it again.

Vet opens at 7:30 and I'll probably call soon. Thank you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Almost time for the vet to open. You must be located in central US. I am on the east coast. Keep us updated.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just syringe fed him some more water and some diluted food. He fought me a lot and seems to have a little more strength, but it goes away pretty fast still. His breathing seems less labored but still fast. I'll probably try to count it again when he's had some time to calm down. 

edit:

He went over to look out the window, which he hasn't done in awhile. It's really cold over there, though, and sometimes my cats like to lick the condensation, which I don't think would be too good for him right now. I put his heated blanket over there and opened the blinds, but I don't think ill let him stay there too long. He already feels cold.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is time to see what the Vet has to say.. 

Good that he is taking an interest in looking outside. He is probably trying to get away from the poking....

Status
Not open for further replies.