Cat Puking and Diarrhea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any other options tonight. I just have to hope he's not in pain. I'm trying to be prepared for the worst. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie. Just cuddle her. She will know that you love her. Please do not stress her or by taking her temp again. Just stay with her, talking , petting her. Keep her warm. I fear the worst. (((((()))hugs))))))))))))

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He wont really let me hold him. Im staying close. Thank you.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

He wont really let me hold him. Im staying close. Thank you.
That's typical, he is consumed right now with his body and it's state, but he does know you are right there also, just doesn't want the distraction of being held.

How's he doing/acting? Is he still breathing fast?

Does/has he gotten up and walked at all, eaten, drank?

Used the litterbox? Is he looking straight like he is sleeping with eyes open? Like staring at nothing?

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry if you couldn't reach me and were looking for me.  I check in daily but lately I have been taking care of a couple of my own cats who are sick so have not been online much at all.  If he pulls through the breathing problem, I can be very helpful in dealing with the recurrent urinary problem as I have experience with that and it doesn't require vet visits once you get it managed with diet and a few supplements and checking the pH of the urine frequently so you can keep it slightly acidic so crystals cannot form.  What I'm hearing now, though, is a lot more serious.  I'm wondering if he vomited and inhaled some of the vomitus and now has aspiration pneumonia, which is very bad.  If he's just dealing with infection, he can probably get through it, but if it's pneumonia caused by something he actually inhaled, that is a lot harder.  It's more common in bottle fed kittens when inexperienced people feed them, but it can happen in adults usually from vomiting.  I have only experienced it with an adult once, and we did end up in the Emergency Vet, and he did end up in an oxygen cage, and I did end up having him put to sleep to spare him the suffering as they only gave him a small chance of making it.  I couldn't leave him there.  It brings back tears just remembering, and that was more than 15 years ago. 

Let your cat be as much as you can.  If he wants the hard floor, let him hve it.   They often prefer  cool hard floor when they are sick, and I agree you should just be near him and loving and as calm as you can be, because that will help him, whether he is going to pull through or whether he is going to cross over.  I'm so sorry you are going through this.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing everything you can with a really difficult situation. I just want to send you a hug and let you know you and your baby are in my thoughts.  I am going to stick to letting people who have experience with the situation you are dealing with offer the advice.  Unfortunately I have to work this weekend so I will not be around much for the next two days like I was today.

Last edited by a moderator:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Catalover73, thank you for trying to help this little one...  and his forever person

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fell asleep for a little bit and woke up and there was a little bit of red pee(it didn't look purely red, like blood) near the litter box, and then he tried to go a little but just sat down instead. I took him out and put him down on the couch to sit and pet him, but he jumped off and laid down in the kitchen. My brother suffered from serious asthma when he was younger, so we have a mini nebulizer and some medicine. I looked up the type we had and it said it was safe, but I diluted it a lot and tried getting him to breathe the "steam". Before, his sides were heaving like earlier, but now it seems to have slowed down some, to 40 breaths a minute. Still high, but it doesnt look as painful as before. I know human meds are a no-no for cats, but I don't think it could get much worse. Listening to him, it still sounds like shuddering/purring when he breathes, but it's not as bad as before. Oxygen would probably definitely be beneficial again, but I don't think I could drag him out to another vet again today even if I did have the money.

Currently, he's lying in the kitchen again with his eyes closed, "sleeping". Its not as disconcerting as yesterday, when he wouldnt close his eyes and just stared, like he was sleeping with his eyes open, as somebody said earlier. 

The vet did say that she suspected aspiration pneumonia. I know it's bad. I'm hoping the antibiotics help him, and that he makes it to tomorrow morning when I can give him more. At midnight I can give him more pain meds to hopefully relief some discomfort.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, I am wishing the best and holding you both close to my heart.....

I will check in tomorrow. I need to get some sleep...

Remember, what ever happens, you have done as much as you could for Bootsy...He knows that and loves you for it.

FWIW, I think the nebulizer was a good idea. I have asthma also... You are thinking so well....and doing so much...

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. You have helped- everyone has. Sleep well.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Been following along and sending you and your dear boy best wishes and hopes for recovery. [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji]

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any other advice to offer but my heart breaks for you. I wish you and your kitty the best, you sound like a wonderful parent in a hard situation.

missingone123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@rpandcat  It's possible, I think. I can't get it today, but if he pulls through the night I will consider it.

I just did another nebulizer session because I noticed his breathing getting hard again, though this time I put him in a tub with some holes and a cover, so it was more confined and so he inhaled more. It's down to 37 breaths/minute, which is a few lower than before. He's in the bathroom now.

Status
Not open for further replies.