cat pelvic injury

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My one and half year old male cat was beaten by sticks by my neighbour. Yesterday he went as usual on his night walk around 11 pm but did not returned by 3.am as he usually comes back home by this time and wakes me up for food. When I woke up I did not find him in the house so began the search. On calling his name I heard a loud painful howl of my cat from my neighbour's room where he was trapped. I was desperate to have him back and this early hour did not rang the doorbell of my neighbour. At around 6. am in the morning while I was standing outside my house waiting for their doors to be open my nasty and cruel neighbour threw my cat out. While I tried to make up to my neighbour's front he slammed his door. My cat was howling in pain and culdnt walk. I picked him and brought to my house and saw that he dragged himself and was not able to walk with his back legs. Also he has multiple injuries on his face and hands.

Right now I am not in position mentally to fight with my neighbour as my main concern is to save my cat's life. I called the vet immediately and he prescribed pain killer which I am giving. He has not eaten anything since yesterday and today I had to force feed him liquids like chicken and egg soup. He has not passed his urine or stool but also as he has not eaten maybe that's why.

Vet says he cant do much right now as he is in pain. Vet also told me to wait for 7 days and see may be he heals himself. My cat is not allowing to touch his body. I want him to rest as much as possible. And also I carry him in a basket if he wishes to go to various rooms of my house (as he used to play and run in each room)

Please advise: will he be alright as I cannot see him in pain. I cant stop my tears seeing him in pain. He is like my baby. What should I give him to eat Also any other advise how will he be fine again. he is very much sad and depressed.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Winkie, it sounds as if your cat has some broken bones and possibly some internal injuries as well. Don't try to touch him or move him as this could make things worse. Ask your vet to do some x-rays to find out how badly he is injured. I don't think you should wait for a week to see if he heals himself, he needs medical attention now.

Also, call the police and report your neighbour to them. The man is obviously dangerous, I'm worried about your safety as well as the safety of other animals.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get a new vet!!  Your baby needs help NOW!!  Keep calling around until you can find some place to take him to TODAY!  He could very well have internal bleeding or internal injuries that need addressing.  Also, be sure to file a report with the police.  Take pics of your cat and his condition.  Also, keep a record of all the vet expenses you incur.  Whatever you do, though, please get your cat to a vet ASAP.

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Omgosh, that is horrible! What a cruel neighbor! Definitely get that poor kitty to a vet today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for reply. Right now it is 4. am I have been awake whole night sitting with my cat. A new problem has developed. He did urinate a lil drop but now after every half hour he is on hi slitter box urinating drop here and there. What is this going on? he is not eating or drinking. but he is active when I call his name. he responds by purring even puts his hand on my hand also his eyes seem to say something... Here it is hard to find good vet. And also no one bothers to come at night there is no emergency service here for animals. I am waiting for the sun to rise and day to begin and look for vet.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Norachan  I am from India. Vet prescribed Nefrotec tab for his Urinary prob. Today I took him to my terrace so that he gets sun rays on his body. As here it is too cold. And he was quite happy and he relaxed his muscles. Also drank little bit of water from his bowl that I offered upto his mouth as he cannot yet stand on his own. Also I am trying to force feed him chicken soup and some egg mixed, Pray he gets well soon and stands up on his own. As far as neighbour is concerned today people for animals and animal rescuers called me up (as I had complained to them)  and will take action against my neighbour.  Thanks once again all.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi winkie.

I'm not really familiar with Nefrotec  tablets, it's a herbal remedy, isn't it? Did the vet check for any broken bones? If he's still not able to stand he might need a full medical examination and x-rays, to check that he hasn't been seriously injured.

I'm glad to hear that he is drinking a little. I know it must be difficult in India, but I hope you can find a vet who will examine him properly. It sounds as if your current vet might have overlooked some of his injuries

Very glad to hear that some action is being taken against your horrible neighbour too. Have you reported this to the police? I've done some travelling in India and I know the police aren't that helpful, but I'm worried for your safety.

If your neighbour is the kind of person who would hurt a tiny animal this way he might do something to hurt you too. Please report this to the police, just in case something worse happens.

Lots of love and prayers from Japan to you and your cat.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot dear Norachan. Yes Nefrotec is herbal remedy and is not helpful yet. I gave him 1 tablet crushed and mixed with honey which he took little by little in one day. He is passing urine drop by drop most of the time then exhausted lies on litter tray and I again pick him up to bed but he again sits on litter box. Also you are right here in India police is of no use. And animals and women are treated badly. Vet is not doing anything. He has not even touched my cat to look. Here people least care for cats and also vets are not experienced in handling them. Also my cat is suffering from constipation. Has not passed the stool for past three four days. He has eaten less but yesterday I gave him with dropper and syringe forcefully full one egg yolk mixed with chicken soup and also one tsp honey mixed with warm water. He has not passed stool and that is my worry alongwith frequent urination. He tries to poo and uses all his energy but gets exhausted in the end. Maybe due to injury he cant. Is there any home remedy to remove constipation....He is though responding well to all my calls and even purrs me and tries to get up if I tease him to play with me as we both play hide and seek and many other games together. I am looking for a vet who is experienced in treating cats.  Rest prayer is the only hope for me. Please pray for my little baby. Thanks once again.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Thanks a lot dear Norachan. Yes Nefrotec is herbal remedy and is not helpful yet. I gave him 1 tablet crushed and mixed with honey which he took little by little in one day. He is passing urine drop by drop most of the time then exhausted lies on litter tray and I again pick him up to bed but he again sits on litter box. Also you are right here in India police is of no use. And animals and women are treated badly. Vet is not doing anything. He has not even touched my cat to look. Here people least care for cats and also vets are not experienced in handling them. Also my cat is suffering from constipation. Has not passed the stool for past three four days. He has eaten less but yesterday I gave him with dropper and syringe forcefully full one egg yolk mixed with chicken soup and also one tsp honey mixed with warm water. He has not passed stool and that is my worry alongwith frequent urination. He tries to poo and uses all his energy but gets exhausted in the end. Maybe due to injury he cant. Is there any home remedy to remove constipation....He is though responding well to all my calls and even purrs me and tries to get up if I tease him to play with me as we both play hide and seek and many other games together. I am looking for a vet who is experienced in treating cats.  Rest prayer is the only hope for me. Please pray for my little baby. Thanks once again.
You're describing a medical EMERGENCY. Please get your cat to the vet ASAP. I would opt for a different vet too. Herbal remedies are not the answer and the situation required IMMEDIATE veterinary intervention. Please find an emergency veterinarian clinic and get the cat there NOW. 

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He probably has some nerve damage from the injury and that affects a cat's ability to eliminate.  Depending on what the neighbor did, he may be like my rescue cat who probably got hit by a car---and he could have a broken pelvis.  My vet was initially concerned that the break was enough to impact the ability to urinate completely and also pass stools. When he first appeared, it was 10 days after we last saw him, so the injury happened somewhere in that time frame.

The vet x rayed him and there were 3 breaks. If there is enough force to break a pelvic bone, it is going to result in more than one break. I'm sure that pain makes it very hard for a cat to have normal functions for a while.

Cats have amazing ability to self-heal from this. But keeping quiet is what you want. You don't want to force him to stand, walk or jump.  He probably can't curl up so if you can provide a soft surface for him to stretch out, that is best. Also I would not pick him up more than necessary because it probably hurts.  Keep his litter close by so he doesn't have to walk far to try to use it.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Anne.. I am trying my best. Have called for help to many. But still did not find vet that can treat cats.

@laura G Thanks. Vet has also now prescribed neurobion 1/4th tab morn and even and lactulose solution. I am also keeping him still so that he does not try to walk. Also he has soft sofas, beds, cushions. Pls pray he gets well soon.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your prayers..condition has improved. He started to walk by himself today and also took very lil food. But he is constipated. Not pooped yet. today is 5 th day. Also dribbling of urine (though now lesser duration) has yet to go. I am giving lactulose solution 1 ml in morn and eve. for constipation. Also tried glycerine suppository but he didn't let me touch. What should I give him so that he poops.

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advice I got here was to use the human laxative Miralax. I'm not sure they sell that by you, but the ingredient is Polyethylene glycol 3350. The human dosage is quite a bit more than you want to give him. Here, 1/8th of a teaspoon in the AM and 1/8th of a teaspoon in the PM or .5 ml  in metric mixed in with his canned food worked really well.

It isn't to be confused with propeylene glycol which is a deadly poison.

POLYETHYLENE glycol makes his stool softer so it is easier to pass. It takes a day or two to start working, but it makes straining less problematic. My theory is that it is also difficult for them to assume the pose for either urination or passing stool.   I found that with Boo, very gently stroking his sides and on his belly moving your hands downward helped move things along. Apparently you can express his bladder, but I was nervous about applying that much pressure.

Getting him to consume water is good. Mixing it with his canned food is a start.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks LauraG..I will try Miralax..right now the medical stores nearby are closed as early morn. As soon as they open I will get one...I was awake whole night as he tried hard many times to poo but nothing happened..it is 6th day today....his urine dribbling has also not stopped yet completely...he is continuing on med nefrotec and neurobion...Also my cat has started eating now...but I have to take the plate and bowl up to him and persuade him to eat.....he has become very active...also walks on his own with lil limping from one side but we do not let him climb the stairs yet...we pick him up when taking him upstairs to the terrace and he is happy to relax and sit under the sunshine whole day watching the sky and birds...also the sun rays act as hot pad for him heating his muscles within....and I think that has also helped him recover.....how old is your cute lil boo...

laurag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bet the sun is very healing! Vitamin D is good for bones, right? :-) . The vet thinks Boo is 16 months old.  He was pretty backed up with stool when he was x-rayed so helping make it easier for him to pass will make him feel so good.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that your boy is starting to eat and drink, it sounds as if he is on the road to recovery.

I often think of him and send best wishes your way.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Norachan for your prayers and best wishes...

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LauraG: Thanks dear, yes sun worked wonders...God has gifted us everything that we need for survival it is us whether we use or misuse...Glad to know abt Boo. He is abt the same age as my this cat (harry is his name). I did not find miralax here. Maybe in India it is not available. I again contacted Vet and he today prescribed liquid paraffin 2ml every 4 hourly. Also he prescribed kiw of kitten 1/2 tab once today at night. Also Serrratop 1/4 tab for his muscle repairment and told me to continue with neurobion and nefrotec. Too many med now:-( poor baby..though he is such a good baby he takes his medicines readily. I have to mix it with honey and a lil water making it a syrup and he just takes it with a dropper. Hope he is relived from his constipation and also urine dribbling. Thanks once again love to your Boo.

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is 7th day and my cat has not passed stool. Though he is drinking and eating little by little. Today I have given him psyllium husk 2 tsp and 2 tsp papaya mashed so that it eases him out. His urine dribbling has lessened but not completely out. I am giving him much of liquids too by dropper. Even gave him little milk today.  All please pray for his health that he again becomes chirpy and playful like before.