Cat hasn't given birth in one hour intervals. Kinda freaking out.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you felt any kittens moving or have any reason to believe that she isn't done? At this point it would be rare for her to have a kitten 2 days later without showing any signs of remaining pregnant. But I suppose stranger things have happened. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you felt any kittens moving or have any reason to believe that she isn't done? At this point it would be rare for her to have a kitten 2 days later without showing any signs of remaining pregnant. But I suppose stranger things have happened.
Her belly has definitely gone smaller than pre-labor. The only evidence I could find that she isn't done is her constant meowing/following as well as the recent discharge (she hasn't been meowing as much lately, though), but I'm aware that does happen post-birth as well. She's been licking the area around her vulva a bit as well as her nipple areas, but that could be just her cleaning herself since she is cleaning other parts of her body during that time period. 
Do you plan to have her spayed now?
Definitely

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are her mammary glands filled with milk? I'm guessing she's licking her nipples because she is full of milk and uncomfortable.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the rare occasion, a cat may end up getting pregnant on two different days. But if the kittens she had earlier were not premature, that would mean that any remaining kittens would be due very soon, as in today or tomorrow. I would go ahead and continue to feed her as much as she wants. What I'm thinking is...that she's just meowing a lot because she's still coming down from the hormones and she's confused as to what has happened. Normally a mom cat has kittens to nurse and tend, this releases hormones that help her heal internally and ease into motherhood. She doesn't have that. I think she'll calm down and relax in another few days. You could, of course, try to find an orphaned litter to help out. Just give her lots of love and reassurance. 

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are her mammary glands filled with milk? I'm guessing she's licking her nipples because she is full of milk and uncomfortable.
Not sure, will check in a bit.

She just had a small discharge (just one spot). She's licking her vulva area - not sure if it's only because she's trying to clean it.

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

On the rare occasion, a cat may end up getting pregnant on two different days. But if the kittens she had earlier were not premature, that would mean that any remaining kittens would be due very soon, as in today or tomorrow. I would go ahead and continue to feed her as much as she wants. What I'm thinking is...that she's just meowing a lot because she's still coming down from the hormones and she's confused as to what has happened. Normally a mom cat has kittens to nurse and tend, this releases hormones that help her heal internally and ease into motherhood. She doesn't have that. I think she'll calm down and relax in another few days. You could, of course, try to find an orphaned litter to help out. Just give her lots of love and reassurance. 
I'm assuming she's only doing it because of her post-birth hormones. The only thing that was worrying me her recent discharges. Do cats lick their vulva after releasing small discharges? One thing I noticed as well is that she's eating a lot more than she was before giving birth, which increases my doubt that there's still extra babies in her.

Last edited:

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, a cat will always try to keep themselves very clean so any discharge will be licked away no matter the cause of it. As for food, she's hungry. Her body was growing other bodies and then the strain of labor and birth, making milk etc.If she starts bleeding or is acting strange I'd visit the vet. Otherwise she'll hopefully settle back into her old self soon.

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, a cat will always try to keep themselves very clean so any discharge will be licked away no matter the cause of it. As for food, she's hungry. Her body was growing other bodies and then the strain of labor and birth, making milk etc. If she starts bleeding or is acting strange I'd visit the vet. Otherwise she'll hopefully settle back into her old self soon.
I noticed that as well. She would have some discharges but would try to lick it away before we could clean it ourselves. She's not bleeding or acting strange, just that the discharges are coming more often. They're not in large amounts though, just small drops.
Is your cat filled up with milk in her mammary glands?
By the looks of it, yeah.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That would account for her licking her nipples. She's very uncomfortable. Nursing also helps to shrink the uterus, though the discharge is normal and should stop soon.

Are you interested in fostering kittens? Now would be the time.

Last edited:

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That would account for her licking her nipples. She's very uncomfortable. Nursing also helps to shrink the uterus, though the discharge is normal and should stop soon.

Are you interested in fostering kittens? Now would be the time.
Not sure if we're interested to be honest, would be nice though.

She's been having discharges for a decent amount of time now - not a lot at once, but I don't think it has stopped and when I checked in her room there were a decent amount of spots. Is this normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S srofltank

How are the discharges now? Is it still clear and pinkish? Or red?

It sounds like a bit more than normal, but it's hard to say for sure.

Last edited:

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@srofltank

How are the discharges now? Is it still clear and pinkish? Or red?

It sounds like a bit more than normal, but it's hard to say for sure.
She's fine - normal behavior overall.

There are still discharges but I don't think it was as much as last time. Can't leave her running around the house though.

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2

Her recent discharges  have been more reddish compared to her clear, pink ones. Is this normal?

srofltank

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Handsome Kitty

@sarthur2

Just small drops. Yesterday her discharges were a lot more common but right now it's not happening as much. Just the color of it becoming darker. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it's okay since it's decreasing rather than increasing. It's been 3 days. It should disappear altogether soon. I think when cats nurse the uterus heals more quickly.

Let us know if it gets heavier.