Cat blinded by Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

As a new poster on this site I want to say I am sorry for what happened to kitten. I know it rips you to shreds when an animal you love is hurt or in pain, and that pain is magnified when it was due to someone's ignorance. I think Kitty is very lucky to be a member of your family. It is obvious you have done everything in your power to make her better. I think that once you get this settled you should post your story as a warning to sites like http://www.vetratingz.com/    http://www.bebemau.com/rateyourvet.aspx  or even Yelp. That kind of negligence is unacceptable and the lack of accountability is sickening;  people need to be made aware. Sending well wishes to you and kitty 
I plan on posting the whole process once it's settled on all ends regardless of the outcome.

As a new poster on this site I want to say I am sorry for what happened to kitten. I know it rips you to shreds when an animal you love is hurt or in pain, and that pain is magnified when it was due to someone's ignorance. I think Kitty is very lucky to be a member of your family. It is obvious you have done everything in your power to make her better. I think that once you get this settled you should post your story as a warning to sites like http://www.vetratingz.com/    http://www.bebemau.com/rateyourvet.aspx  or even Yelp. That kind of negligence is unacceptable and the lack of accountability is sickening;  people need to be made aware. Sending well wishes to you and kitty 
This is a fairly long process through the State Veterinary board 6-9 months. Depending on the reply from the vets lawyer that complaint may be amended which means it could take longer.

If she continues to deny wrongdoing there are other agencies where I can report the incident including a county prosecutor. I suppose this could go beyond nasty.

While I understand my cat is coping well and still has some vision we were lucky to get off with just that side effect considering the dose. And yes blind cats do adapt. At the same time if you took your pet to the vet and they poked it's eyes out and said it would adapt to being blind my guess is there would be a flattened vet and some bloodshed and a cop call made.

We have tried to handle this with some dignity and refrained from spouting names and places. Of course the assumption on our part has been this was an accident , mistake and not normal operating procedure for this vet. I have several people that want to talk to me who have had a bad time with this vet. I haven't heard what happened with them yet. And if they are unwilling to follow through if they feel they've been wronged I have no use for them anyway.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
I left Kitten in the intensive care unit tonight. Blood work shows significant liver issues. We have about a 50/50 chance of saving her.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten, I am so sorry! When did the new issues start? [emoji]128546[/emoji]

lazer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I left Kitten in the intensive care unit tonight. Blood work shows significant liver issues. We have about a 50/50 chance of saving her.
Oh no I'm so sorry. Is this related to the Baytril or a new issue? Sending all positive thoughts her way.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
We do not believe it is related to the baytril issue. Nor is there an answer of how or why at this point. We have an internal med consult today. The vet from heaven waved her fee to help pay for the consult and see where it goes. Best case it's fatty liver something we can work with.

She is being fed with a nasal tube , has an IV for fluid and started on antibiotics .

Thank you all for the well wishes. Methinks we need them.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
There is an indication that this class of drugs can cause elevated liver enzymes. Since she hasn't had any for over two months I don't know if that's feasible. I see it as possible but highly unlikely not matter how disgusted I am with the vet that overdosed her.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Fatty liver... has she not been eating well lately? That is the main thing I think of when I hear of that. And the main treatment for that in such a case is (of course) feeding them as much as possible.

I was just reading this whole thing. Poor Kitten. I hope she is able to pull through this. She seems like a really strong kitty.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

There is an indication that this class of drugs can cause elevated liver enzymes. Since she hasn't had any for over two months I don't know if that's feasible. I see it as possible but highly unlikely not matter how disgusted I am with the vet that overdosed her.
This is heartbreaking and i am thinking of you and kitten.  You have been through so much.  Just throwing a dart, she didn't get into lillies or medicines in the home?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

This is heartbreaking and i am thinking of you and kitten.  You have been through so much.  Just throwing a dart, she didn't get into lillies or medicines in the home?
No we're exceedingly careful. Me because I'm anal and my husband because he want's to draw his next breath. Aside from a slight temperature she looks quite well , alert, interested in her world and totally disgusted for what they pass off as a litter tray there. After a consult with an internal medicine vet and balancing all the factors and sadly cost we decided to go ahead and treat this a fatty liver and have the feeding tube put in her neck and bring her home tomorrow barring any other complications. Both cats were sneezing and put back on the lysine and because both were off at the same time we're making a reasonable assumption it was a flare up of the uri. And for Kitten adding the stress of the last few months and then going off her food for a few just snowballed. The

I know someone will berate us for not going for the ultrasound and biopsy. We live in the real world and have an excellent line of credit. That has to be paid back. The cost of the procedure tonight and follow up is the same as diagnostics that would either say 100% fatty liver or something much worse. We had an intense conference with the vet and both of us feel this is a more than reasonable plan to give her a good shot for recovery. There are some medications that will supplement this to try and cover a few more bases without compromising her. We are beyond heartbroken and scared tonight.

going out today I seen a woman alone sober her heart out in a hallway. She had been visiting her dog. I walked over and no words were needed.

what every part or the heavenly real estate you folks subscribe to throw out a shout for Kitten. thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you went right to the feeding tube.  If your kitty has fatty liver which will show up on blood work as significant liver issues it is survivable.  My kitty had it almost five years and he is still here and doing well.   It is true that getting enough calories in is what stops the fatty liver process and the feeding tube makes it so much easier both for kitty and their humans.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support. Kitten came through her procedure fine and the staff said she was tolerating the tube well. Barring any unforeseen complications I can go pick her up today  around noon.

Slept for 8 solid hours and still feel exhausted. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
That is really great that you are able to do that. I'd toyed with the idea of getting my Lucky a feeding tube but in his case, he was end-stage renal failure and quite possibly would not have survived being put under. But I've talked with many others that opted for feeding tubes with their kitties and had really great success. The hard part for a lot of folks to wrap their heads around (my own included) is that it's not an "end of life" treatment, but rather a temporary one to them over a non-eating hump and help them recover without stressing them out (as with syringe feeding). 

Wishing her all the best, please do keep us posted about Kitten! I will keep her in my thoughts.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That's exactly how I was during the 16 days between Lucky's diagnosis and the day he died. Hopefully the feeding tube will help with that by eliminating the stress of trying to get Kitten to eat and drink enough.
It's interesting that stress is listed as one of the possible causes a cat goes off it's food and water and ends up in this condition. I can't think that stuffing food down her mouth for weeks is going to be anything but stressful and put her off eating on her own even more. This is the gift of life for many cats. The vet explained that they used to lose the majority of cats with fatty liver until this became a common procedure. And the best part is she can be at home. On her favorite shelf watching birds and soaking up sunbeams.

Quick update. She ate a bit of food on her own at 4AM. We're very hopeful that the feeding tube was the absolute right decision to make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.