Cat blinded by Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

there is a certain Vitamin named Vitamin B1 which your Cat's Vet can give which might stimulate the Cat's appetite: talk to your Vet though; A Citizen USA

there is a certain Vitamin named Vitamin B1 which your Cat's Vet can give which might stimulate the Cat's appetite: talk to your Vet though; A Citizen USA
Quick google . She is on Hills A/D Urgent Care. It is full of liver which is a source of B1. Like all info yours has been jotted down for the next vet visit.

ar1951

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"glad you read my post: the vitamin's other names are "thiamine and  Vitamin B-Complex; I am sure Hills adds Vitamin B1; Hills is  a good way to get this Vitamin to Kitty;"; my 2c;

AR :)

"my Gumdrop of Happiness. Sugar Pot Pie or Der Fluffy Noodle. lol

"you might consider Cat Probiotics; probiotics help create Vitamins and retain their usage; "Raw Fish depletes vitamin B1; which is found in meat and fowl": my 2c AR '51
~

( they have Liver capsules you can mix Cat's food)
'

Last edited by a moderator:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

"glad you read my post: the vitamin's other names are "thiamine and  Vitamin B-Complex; I am sure Hills adds Vitamin B1; Hills is  a good way to get this Vitamin to Kitty;"; my 2c;

AR :)
I'm not going to go against my vets home care sheet. However no one knows everything and so I take advice that sounds reasonable to heart.

I came across one blog that slams all vets and tells how to cure this at home without spending a lot of money. Veterinarians are not blood sucking money vultures. We were given a list of the optimal treatments running into the thousands and thousands of dollars with every conceivable test right down to taking Kitten home with an appetite stimulant. Our decision was not based solely on cost but rather spending our money on treatment that gave her the best shot at living. Encouraging pet owners to NOT seek medical care for their pet on the grounds all vets are evil was hard to go away and not leave a rather scathing comment.

BTW The VCA found a way to shave off almost 300 bucks on our total bill. And the original consulting vet waved her fee altogether.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise

And of course in all this I have to remember Forgotten Cat and make sure she's not feeding on any excess stress. I'm letting her have the FF dry.
Oh my, I know that well. So hard to give all your attention to the very sick kitty and then still give attention to the others. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Note. The position needed to feed the cat, Secure the cat. Honest Kitten has never tolerated meddling with her body anyway. I need more hands. Not happening but I did give myself extra eyes. Mirror in front of Kitten to watch her face. Combined with her body language that is making me more skilled in delivering her food in the most compassionate way possible. It's got to go in barring something really wrong. And in a reasonable time to allow for the next feeding.

She gave the food dishes with extra good foods a good sniff. Even had a second consideration with one of them. I am overjoyed she's even looking at food. I seen the tail twich upwards as she evaluated one. next week I will try introducing more on my finger.

Have I ever mentioned how much cat food grosses me out. It's been an act of love opening the cans of that stuff for a decade. I have liquified pig liver running down my wrist where I test temp before feeding. Oh and after clearing the blowhole keep your extra bright LED flashlight handy for a good look.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

Have I ever mentioned how much cat food grosses me out. It's been an act of love opening the cans of that stuff for a decade. 
Are you at the point yet where you are smelling cat food even when there isn't any around? I think after the day of syringe feeding Lucky I was like that. I feel like we did syringe feeding for weeks but it unfortunately was really just days, when I think about it.

And good idea with the mirror. I should have done that with Lucky during subqs. Never quite got to the point where I could think logically though during that time.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Are you at the point yet where you are smelling cat food even when there isn't any around? I think after the day of syringe feeding Lucky I was like that. I feel like we did syringe feeding for weeks but it unfortunately was really just days, when I think about it.

And good idea with the mirror. I should have done that with Lucky during subqs. Never quite got to the point where I could think logically though during that time.
I do not mind doing it at all. But as I'm sure you know it is a huge personal commitment.  We got a full 55 mil feeding with the 2 mil pre rinse, and 10 mil rinse after without issue in less than one hour. I know it's supposed to be up to 60 mil per feeding. I'll just keep plugging away Aside from this noons lip licking session we have zero vomit. Nothing has came out the way it went in. Considering her condition last Sat night I see this as moving her up to a solid 3 on the Naked and Afraid survival scale. She's not up much but her strut back to the master bedroom and HER bed had a bit of jaunty trot to it.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

I do not mind doing it at all. But as I'm sure you know it is a huge personal commitment.  We got a full 55 mil feeding with the 2 mil pre rinse, and 10 mil rinse after without issue in less than one hour. I know it's supposed to be up to 60 mil per feeding. I'll just keep plugging away Aside from this noons lip licking session we have zero vomit. Nothing has came out the way it went in. Considering her condition last Sat night I see this as moving her up to a solid 3 on the Naked and Afraid survival scale. She's not up much but her strut back to the master bedroom and HER bed had a bit of jaunty trot to it.
That is very good news! And you'll get up to 60 soon enough, best to do it slowly to prevent "rejection" from the stomach.

And I would have helped Lucky for years if that's what it took. Then I got the horrible news about his blood results. And then the crash that same day. It was time for him. So yeah, I only ended up doing it for 16 days. I may have to do that with Sara at some point, trying to gear myself up to that realization.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That is very good news! And you'll get up to 60 soon enough, best to do it slowly to prevent "rejection" from the stomach.

And I would have helped Lucky for years if that's what it took. Then I got the horrible news about his blood results. And then the crash that same day. It was time for him. So yeah, I only ended up doing it for 16 days. I may have to do that with Sara at some point, trying to gear myself up to that realization.
We're aware this has a chance of not working.  I have done a lot of reading in the last few days. This is such a well established treatment that no one should feel guilty using it. Which I sure did the first few days. Honestly I think if Kitten didn't have the neck wrap she'd be more active. She doesn't fiddle but I can tell it does restrict some neck movement. I've tried several types of wraps but the incision and tube have to be covered. and sadly for the cat that does restrict some movement.  While you found out what was going on your Lucky was given the chance of life. And spared a lingering death of starvation and dehydration. Before this treatment death was the only outcome. She is tired. lethargic and not prone to getting up and about on her own. With little prompting she got up walked about , used the box and then headed back to bed. She jumped quite easily onto the bed. Her walk is steady. Her breathing relaxed. We'll know more in a few weeks with another blood test. The best any of us can do is resolve to do the best for our little pets regardless of what we want.

I have said in over 40 years of horse ownership as an adult I have only had one horse leave this world by natural death. If you are in tune with your pet you know. Most of us may hem and haw for a day but will do the right thing while our insides are being ripped out. The internal medicine vet was very clear he would not hesitate to recommend euthanasia if he felt that was the best option. If nothing else that 16 days you had was time to come to terms with reality.

ar1951

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did say "talk to your Vet though" :)

There is a recall on some Hills canned food; hope your Kitty feels better:  :) 

Last edited by a moderator:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well that was fun. An hour after feeding she puked up her tube. Not much food just a bit , and the tube. Off to the vet where they fixed it. Home again.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I did a lot of constructive reading last night. This is not a fast recovery. See I knew that but needed to read veterinary sites over and over to make it so. And I am not going to get hung up on her not wanting to eat from her bowl. The reason we had the tube put in is because she refuses to eat. It would be sort of moronic to think that she was going to nourish herself in any significant way without the aid of the feeding tube. duh.

Thank you for the encouragement. She has graced our lives for over 10 years and we have done not one thing to earn the joy she's brought us. With so many cats living into their late teens , she was a healthy cat before this and a great deal of the FL is diagnosed as idiopathic I feel much more comfortable with our choices. This thread is literally my lifeline. Good , bad, inspired or just plain stupid I can express the feelings and get mini stress purges.

Oh I screamed in the shower too.
Hang in there!!!!!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
She has been given an anti nausea drug and we were instructed to try again in six hours unless she cannot keep the crushed pill down. She looks so wore out it's breaking my heart.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
2 Mil to make sure tube was clear

1 mil clavamox

10 mil food

10 mil water.

Lets hope it holds.

We'll try some more in about 2 hours.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Cerenia orally, or by sub q injection with fluids is a wonder drug for nausea. A neural block that does amazing things.
That stayed down

We gave 15 mil food

10 mil water and will feed again in about 2.5 hours.

I believe it was the amount. 60 mil is capacity for a cat. I understand the need for food. She hit her comfort at 50 mil with the feeding split. Today took a lot out of reserves she doesn't have. The vet didn't want to prescribe the anti nausea I'm glad I took a stand on the issue. I should have taken it on the amount of food she can handle in her body.  I cannot keep running to the city in the middle of the night. Clinics out here refer you to the VCA after hours and weekends. The father you go out the more basic vet care is. We're far enough out that it's a vet in a truck. Who might see a barn cat that someone's fond of now and then. So I'm going to grab some shut eye

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
So we'll be heading back to the vet in the AM. She is rapidly going downhill. Cannot tolerate feeding. Unless they have a magic ace up their sleeve I don't know what can really be done at this point. I'm still hoping but letting my husband who is home tonight have a few hours with her. He's been working most days.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers. Lots of them. [emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji][emoji]128591[/emoji]

Status
Not open for further replies.