Canon Eos Rebel Cameras

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Actually, the camera I use now is a Powershot A720. And I do like it. But it's probably 10 years old, and is starting to be finicky. Plus I want something with more than 8 megapixels.
Since you've own a Powershot that long, it's time to upgrade to the latest and stick with it. Newer ones should have higher pixels and more improvements.

:yeah: too

I always thought it would be cool to have a darkroom.
It's cool but it's it's much more convenient to go to the photo lab and have it done unless you are really an enthusiast else I guess no point :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, comments, suggestions, etc. It's helped me put things in perspective, so my new camera will likely be a smaller (and cheaper) Powershot. But I'm not giving up on my DSLR dream. It just won't be this year.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies, comments, suggestions, etc. It's helped me put things in perspective, so my new camera will likely be a smaller (and cheaper) Powershot. But I'm not giving up on my DSLR dream. It just won't be this year.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Enjoy your new toy!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if buying from US sites will save me any money in the long run, with the CAD/USD exchange rate, plus import duties/taxes. But thanks for mentioning it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I still haven't bought a new camera, and really need one now, as my current one is getting more and more finicky. BTW, my heart is still set on a Canon DSLR.

I found these 2 on amazon.ca. If anyone has time, could you take a quick look and let me know if you think it's a decent deal or not, (hoping maybe better price for Black Friday) and if the lens would be sufficient for my photo needs. I think the only big difference is the more expensive one includes a flash.

EDIT: Looks like these packages are sold by Centre Drone(?) not Canon, and has several negative reviews. :( Guess if it looks too good to be true ... buyer beware.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
N NY cat man , tabbytom tabbytom , and anyone else that might see this, quick question about cameras...

I've got some store reward points I can cash in this weekend while they have a bonus reward going on. And I'm toying with using my points to get a Canon DSLR, that my heart still wants.

The Canon EOS Rebel T7 DC camera has 24.1 megapixel for $499
The Canon EOS Rebel T100 camera has 18 megapixel for $299

In both cases, I can redeem enough points that I'll only have to pay $99 plus taxes. I believe both come with the 18-55 mm lens.

I found this which compares the 2 cameras: Canon T100 vs Canon T7 Comparison Review

I don't even know if they'll have either in stock, but if they have both, would you suggest going with the higher megapixels?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man , tabbytom tabbytom , and anyone else that might see this, quick question about cameras...

I've got some store reward points I can cash in this weekend while they have a bonus reward going on. And I'm toying with using my points to get a Canon DSLR, that my heart still wants.

The Canon EOS Rebel T7 DC camera has 24.1 megapixel for $499
The Canon EOS Rebel T100 camera has 18 megapixel for $299

In both cases, I can redeem enough points that I'll only have to pay $99 plus taxes. I believe both come with the 18-55 mm lens.

I found this which compares the 2 cameras: Canon T100 vs Canon T7 Comparison Review

I don't even know if they'll have either in stock, but if they have both, would you suggest going with the higher megapixels?
tabbytom tabbytom might have better info on this, but I would think that for most general purpose photography, you'll never use those extra megapixels. If you are making enlargements, that's another story. The number of megapixels just means how finely the camera can resolve details- more megapixels equals finer details, but also fewer shots per SD card.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I get the cheaper one, I'll have points left over to get a zoom lens another time. This, of course, is assuming I'm lucky enough to get even one of the cameras. :crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a camera! :jump: It's the Canon EOS Rebel T7 with 24 megapixels.Must be a slightly different model than the one in the ad, as it rang in at $449 instead of $499, however the sticker price was $649. Anyway, used most of my points, but only had to spend $78. So not bad for a DSLR camera. :)

It didn't come with a SD card though. So now I have to figure out what to buy. Any thoughts?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forget about the SD card. Next thing is to get at least one spare battery and a charger.

I have a Canon EOS RP. The Canon battery it came with is good for about 240 images. The knock off batteries (I got a 2-pack) are each good for about 120 to 140 images.

Card I'm using is a SanDisk SDHC 32GB I do reformat the card after I transfer images from camera to computer. Couldn't tell you why. I just do it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks, C catapault , for your reply.:)

My camera included a battery and charger, so I *think* I'm ok with that for now. So a 32 GB memory card is large enough. Wasn't sure. :dunno: But then again, the one in my current Powershot camera is only 2 GB and can hold quite a few pics!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama If you have only one battery what will you do when at the most inopportune time, right before the money shot, your camera displays "change battery" Two batteries at a minimum, one in the camera and the other, fully charged, in your camera bag.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I know all about batteries dying the second you press the shutter. :( So I will look into getting a spare. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I loved about my old Canon FTb- if the meter battery died, I could still shoot. Just good luck finding 35mm film any more- or getting it processed.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Film was fine, but so much more expensive, not to mention the long wait to see if any of your pics even turned out. So the instantaneous nature of digital works better for me. :)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Film was fine, but so much more expensive, not to mention the long wait to see if any of your pics even turned out. So the instantaneous nature of digital works better for me. :)
Yes, and I have a gajillion slides, prints, and negatives that I would like to convert to digital, but haven't found a reasonably priced converter yet, and sending out that much material would cost a small fortune.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I converted all my slides to digital using a gadget a friend lent me. Some turned out really well. Others not so much. But it was probably more the condition of the slides than the converter.

Here's a link with some reviews of the converters: Slide Converter Reviews
I think the one I used was a Wolferine one.

Below are a few of my slides converted to digital of pics of Mount Washington and Vermont, circa 1978, I think.
These weren't taken with 35mm though. I think it was the 126 size film.

My film pictures are all printed, so I'm slowly scanning them with my printer scanner. And again, some turn out great. Others not so much.

1575205801753.png

1575205876802.png

1575206007749.png