Canon Eos Rebel Cameras

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm thinking too. But, one more question. Is the shutter release speed better on point and shoot cameras than they used to be. The one I have now feels like it takes forever to take a picture.
On mine, there is about a 1 second delay.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is the shutter release speed better on point and shoot cameras than they used to be. The one I have now feels like it takes forever to take a picture.
Shutter lag will be in most cameras unless you depress gently and get the subject in focus before the actual plunging of the shutter button.

Shooting in low light will be longer as auto focus needs bright light to focus and the brighter the ambience or light falling on subject will have a faster focus.
Also number of focus points plays a part too, the more focus point the camera has the better, same for face recognition. Bottom line is light is the main culprit for slow focus or cannot focus due to dim light or back lit subject.

Most point and shoot cameras without face recognition or many focus point shoot faster but picture quality is compromised as the camera just capture an image according to what the sensor sees and process the image, thus it’s called an idiot camera or a PHD (Push Here Dummy) camera.

As like with any lens, there’s a minimum focus distance. Zooming wise, I think a DSLR lens zoom in faster as it is manual zoom.

With your current skills, I’m sure you can handle a proper camera.

But it’s up to you to decide between size and performance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On mine, there is about a 1 second delay.
And that's still long enough for the cat you were trying to take a pic of, to be long gone out of the frame. :lol:

Shutter lag will be in most cameras unless you depress gently and get the subject in focus before the actual plunging of the shutter button.
That makes sense.

With your current skills, I’m sure you can handle a proper camera.

But it’s up to you to decide between size and performance.
And there's the problem. "I" can't make up my mind. My heart wants a DSLR, but my brain thinks a lighter, point and shoot would be better. Decisions... :sigh:

One last, or maybe not, question. Could I get closeup shots of my flowers with the 18-55 mm lens?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And that's still long enough for the cat you were trying to take a pic of, to be long gone out of the frame. :lol:

That makes sense.

And there's the problem. "I" can't make up my mind. My heart wants a DSLR, but my brain thinks a lighter, point and shoot would be better. Decisions... :sigh:

One last, or maybe not, question. Could I get closeup shots of my flowers with the 18-55 mm lens?
According to the Canon site, the 18-55mm lens will focus down to just under 10 in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to the Canon site, the 18-55mm lens will focus down to just under 10 in.
Thanks. :thumbsup: Guess I could have looked that up myself. :rolleyes2:

And, I guess, that's not close enough for flower shots. :(

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My everyday lens is a 28-135 and I did have to buy a separate macro lens for flower shots.

I bought a small Canon SX620 a while back that I haven't played around enough with yet. It was getting too cumbersome to bring my camera with multiple lenses on a plane for vacations.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't help you with the technical aspects because I am still trying to learn to use my DSLR but I can tell you I LOVE it! I have a Canon, which is probably outmoded now since I have had it a couple of years - a T6s. I am slow because of working until recently and I have to many things going on but I really need to buckle down and learn all the bells and whistles.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an aside, Canon cameras only come with a basic 'quick start' manual. If you want the more detailed one, you have to download it- for free- from the Canon web site. The one for mine ran to 162 pages.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. :thumbsup: Guess I could have looked that up myself. :rolleyes2:

Here's a tidbit for you. According to the manual for my PowerShot ELPH 340 HS, in the macro mode, it will focus down to 0.4 in. Is that close enough?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

You have a conflict in decision between your heart and brain. It's a tough call.

Bottom line is - how serious are you going into photography? If your interest is at least 80% shooting and bringing your camera along with you wherever you go most of the time, I say go for a proper DSLR.

And if your interest grows, way to go with is the DSLR as it offers an expansion of equipments, but not the point and shoot camera.

As for close up shots, every lens has a minimum focus distance. If the close up subject is big enough, you still can get away with the kit lens (18-55mm) if you use it properly. But if the subject is very much smaller, you can't get close enough for a good focus, but you can buy good quality close-up adapters lens and attached to the front of the kit lens and use the zoom function to enlarge the subject to a much larger size by zooming in and out the lens but all this needs lot's of practice as getting a sharp image is critical due to the attachment lens and you need a tripod to get a steady shot unless you have super steady hands (wind plays a part in close up photography. No wind or breeze is best) as opposed to a dedicated macro or micro lens.

I've used kit lens to the maximum producing beautiful photos but because of my different genre in photography, I bought lenses meant for what I'm shooting.

So, you have to make then decision as to which route you are taking.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My everyday lens is a 28-135 and I did have to buy a separate macro lens for flower shots.
Good to know.

I bought a small Canon SX620 a while back that I haven't played around enough with yet. It was getting too cumbersome to bring my camera with multiple lenses on a plane for vacations.
Just Googled it, and it's a cute camera. And I know what you mean about travelling with a camera and multiple lenses. Gets heavy, after a while.

I can't help you with the technical aspects because I am still trying to learn to use my DSLR but I can tell you I LOVE it! I have a Canon, which is probably outmoded now since I have had it a couple of years - a T6s. I am slow because of working until recently and I have to many things going on but I really need to buckle down and learn all the bells and whistles.
Hope you get time to learn about all the bells and whistles soon. Looking forward seeing pics too.

As an aside, Canon cameras only come with a basic 'quick start' manual. If you want the more detailed one, you have to download it- for free- from the Canon web site. The one for mine ran to 162 pages.
I must try to remember that, if/when I buy a new Canon camera.

Here's a tidbit for you. According to the manual for my PowerShot ELPH 340 HS, in the macro mode, it will focus down to 0.4 in. Is that close enough?
Yeah, I think so. I'd have pollen on my nose if I got much closer!

You have a conflict in decision between your heart and brain. It's a tough call.
I think my brain is winning. It's the body part that has to understand bank accounts and other money things.

Bottom line is - how serious are you going into photography?
That's the thing. Probably not even as serious as I was when I had my SLR back in the day. These days, house stuff takes up more of my time, and money.

So, you have to make then decision as to which route you are taking.
Yep. And now I'm even leaning towards the PowerShot ELPH 340 HS which BestBuy has for $249.99. Maybe if I don't spend a lot now, someday when I have more money to put towards photography, I can invest in the DSLR.

Course that's what I'm saying now. I could certainly change my mind again. ;)

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think my brain is winning. It's the body part that has to understand bank accounts and other money things.
That's the thing. Probably not even as serious as I was when I had my SLR back in the day. These days, house stuff takes up more of my time, and money.
Yes, finances for the more important thing comes first.

Yep. And now I'm even leaning towards the PowerShot ELPH 340 HS which BestBuy has for $249.99. Maybe if I don't spend a lot now, someday when I have more money to put towards photography, I can invest in the DSLR.

Course that's what I'm saying now. I could certainly change my mind again.
You still can make do with the more economical model since you are not that serious about it now and maybe some time down the road your passion is reignited then you can start to consider getting a better camera.

I heard that the Powershot series are pretty good.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You still can make do with the more economical model since you are not that serious about it now and maybe some time down the road your passion is reignited then you can start to consider getting a better camera.

I like mine. The only thing is, on its highest resolution setting, I can't upload a picture to this site because the file size is too large, but you can make up to a 16x20 in. enlargement before the image quality degrades. As a matter of fact, all the photos I have posted were taken with one.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
True, but as a guy who made his living using them, better tools made the job easier.
That's right, totally agree.

You can have one sophisticated equipment fully loaded with the best features but if one does not know how to use it, it's practically useless. But if you have one who knows all the tricks, an outdated model still can be a very good workhorse.

But with the advancement of technologies, it's best to take advantage of it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I could still obtain film, and find a place to have it processed, I would be using a 35mm yet. My first good camera was a Retina CII, way back when.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh yea, film is a classic but the rampage of digital is killing it. I grew up shooting film and at the end, I sold off all my gears both 35mm and medium formats and switched to digital.
I owned Nikon systems having two old F2s models, FM, FM2, FE2, F3T, F4s, a Hasselblad 6x6 and a Mamiya RB67. All these are fantastic workhorse.

Shooting in film will be interesting if you have your own darkroom and from there you can process them yourself and manipulate the final photo. My dad was a very good photographer and he has his own darkroom and every time he's in there doing his stuffs, I'm in there with him and I guess it was from there I grew to love photography.

But now with the time and age, best to go digital and have your image taken without mistake and have the post processing down right on your own computer. It takes a lot of pain out for bad exposures and can do multiple processing but it takes the fun and skill out of shooting on film.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to reshingle my roof a few years ago. Just imagine the amount of camera equipment I could have bought instead. :lol:

Actually, the camera I use now is a Powershot A720. And I do like it. But it's probably 10 years old, and is starting to be finicky. Plus I want something with more than 8 megapixels.

I like mine. The only thing is, on its highest resolution setting, I can't upload a picture to this site because the file size is too large,
Even with my current camera, I usually shrink the size of my pictures before I upload them here.

but you can make up to a 16x20 in. enlargement before the image quality degrades.
That's really good.

As a matter of fact, all the photos I have posted were taken with one.
I must take better notice of your posted pics.

The camera is just a tool to take a picture....... It's the man behind the camera :camera: :agree:
Or woman. ;)

Shooting in film will be interesting if you have your own darkroom and from there you can process them yourself and manipulate the final photo.
I always thought it would be cool to have a darkroom.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would
I had to reshingle my roof a few years ago. Just imagine the amount of camera equipment I could have bought instead. :lol:

Actually, the camera I use now is a Powershot A720. And I do like it. But it's probably 10 years old, and is starting to be finicky. Plus I want something with more than 8 megapixels.

Even with my current camera, I usually shrink the size of my pictures before I upload them here.

That's really good.

I must take better notice of your posted pics.

Or woman. ;)

I always thought it would be cool to have a darkroom.
You would like the 340HS that you mentioned, then. It has a maximum of 16 megapixels available, but on the setting I most often use, which is M2, I am only using 3mp, which is sufficient for my purposes.