Can two females get along?

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had 2 female cats at one time and they got along just fine. I also had one male cat so not sure if that helped or not.

The older girl was 11 years old and the younger girl was 3.5 months old (the kitten was found in the tire well of our car and the elder was a rescue from a shelter). The elder girl babied the youngster so I think they bonded real quickly. We were lucky but I wouldn't  recommend just putting them together for everyone.

It all depends on their personalities as well. Kuce (the older girl) was laid back but also the alpha cat and Lil' Jag (the youngster) was energetic and feisty (still is). We still have LJ and her boyfriend Luvbug but Kuce has since passed on to the RB almost 2 years ago.

Take your time and don't rush it.

Hope they feel better real soon. Hang in there - hopefully the URI will run its course with supportive care. You could try some human baby food stage two (make sure there are NO onions in it) to get her too eat something then get her back on some normal cat food - whatever she will eat right away. L_Lysine should help her immune system.

Last edited:

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 3 girls. Two are bio sisters and get along great and with my dog and my boy kitten Wallly.
They like MsMew and will cuddle and play but Mew may or may not engage.

Now we have Ms. Mew who is not a bio sister. She tolerates Elsa and Ana and they her but are not best buddies. Mew would rather be with Louie the dog or Baby Wally
We got all three girls the same day. Mew is really odd. She prefers my husband or the dog.

I think it depends on the cat.
We got baby Wally several weeks after the girls. He is the only one who gets along with all 3 girls (they mama him), humans and the dog.

I hope your girls feel better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry to take so long to write though read posts and really appreciate everyone who to the time to write their experience.
mschauer mschauer the coat on the cat with black spots is amazing , so cool.
@Alistair you seem like a hardcore cat mom.
greycat2 greycat2 it does seem like kittens are the easiest to introduce to girl cats.
Norachan Norachan those are some great names.
cruisescouter cruisescouter you are so lucky to be surrounded by all those adorable felines! Great names too, bobbins is the best . @ItsNotPeanutBut that pic really summed up how beautiful your two cats get along, guess it is true about kittens being easier with girls. Wish I had time for a kitten, I've always had more of thing for older cats anyway. But have to admit occasionally there's an undeniably cute kitten like yours that makes me feel like I'm missing out. @Kat0121 it's very lovely the way your two girls get along. Thank you for sharing, although I can tell already we are not so lucky. You have some really sweet felines.
The little ones cold is getting better. The older cat seems to have gotten over it almost. Both have had a big increase in appetite past few days. Started switching rooms or letting them out together when I'm home. Except when I sleep, one or the other stays in room while other gets the rest of apartment. The way they would prefer it is the little one stays in with me, she seems so relieved once the door is shut and we are alone. She will just curl into a ball under my neck or something , look into my eyes , then fall asleep like a baby. It's so strange, she doesn't even know me. The older one now seems to not feel safe anywhere. At the same time I think she might feel fine it's just she wants to make sure she has her own territory.Definitely have some habitat changes to do. The little one seems to communicate with a different cat language than other. Even the way she communicates with me is very different. She kind of smells the air and wants to smell my face. The other is not interested in face at all. It's hard to explain. I let them out earlier than supposed to because desperate to get the little one to eat and wanted her to get some air and to see who was trying to get in her safe room. I've tried to play with them together . The little one won't but the big one will. The little one has very long meows almost to me like they say I want to go home. I feel like both of them dont want to be here anymore because of each other . There is something going on over cat tree and window territory. The little one won so far in a capture the flag way. What should I do in a situation where the big one is lying on the table hanging out . The little one comes along jumps up there too, big one looks behind her, little one hisses, big one hisses, they are so close, should I let them hit each other? I just do to want to take them to vet for something preventable so I must them with water sprayer. Not sure if they like the water but think the noise scares them.
The big one is scared when it rains, think that is interesting. The little one is mostly scared of big one and dog next door. When the big one sees the big one and she is startled she will walk backwards the way she came. The room for the little situation makes me feel bad because it was where the big one and I were going to sleep every night before little came. Think it was her safe room. Whenever she got scared she would go in there . We took it away from her. Feel bad for her. She's the one who is bring do cool about this whole thing. Would it be kinder to give back younger one rather than force her to live in this way? The older one is staying either way. Don't want to make her unhappy too. Sorry soooo tired, it's hard to write . Here's some pix all I have are these the older one is white

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The older cat has had enough if little ones hissing and growling and went after her and swiped at her this morning . I told them to stop. Little cat keeps walking around like prey. Big cat is growling now. His much time should I give these two ? The young needs more confidence but not sure how to give it to her.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Young cats instinctually learn how to hunt through play fighting.   To an older cat this play fighting is mostly an annoyance and nuisance.    Probably the best thing you can do is redirect the young cat to play elsewhere perhaps with some his own toys.   Things most likely will not change until the young one outgrows this phase.   Usually the best to hope for is that they tolerate each other.

our3girls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive had two males and 1 girl and everyone was nice and peaceful,I now have 3 females the one on my icon pic is the dominate female in the house.Shes fine with our muchkin even very protective of her and we also have blotched tabby the ones with circular patterns who just tolerate each other.So I would say it all depends on each cats personality on wether or not they will get along.

cruisescouter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had the younger one? It took about a month before Isla would even tolerate the others (she would screech like her eyes were being ripped out of her head) and after about 4-6 months she is part of the family. Sometimes she gets bullied on, but otherwise she is a happy girl. I agree with @zoneout   and do some playtime with the little one.

Also, you have a torti and calico from what I saw in photos! They always seem like very strong female personalities. My friend just had to introduce two of the same and took her a few months and now they sleep next to each other. 

This was an every day thing for about a month. 

Then came snuggling with our tuxedo and her. She was not thrilled, but she allowed it. Takes time. 

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The little one has been kind if stalking the older one. The little one even played today with a charmer toy with feather on end older one was never interested in. She was playing rolling around on floor . Then , older one came in got the toy(never missed a play session). She wanted to play with this toy first time ever, guess it looked like fun. Later down right next to little one. Little one stared at her like what are you doing? Then growled and hiss and walked away like she was being attacked ( even though she wasn't in any way). I feel bad for the older one, I bet she would be a great cat playmate . I have had older one for about a month. Younger one adopted her about 10 days ago. They warned me she might be unfriendly with other cats but she was new there, they didn't really know her yet. She will eat at same time same room though a little away from older cat. I really do think younger was trying to mimic older with toy. Older likes to pick toys up Any toys in mouth and carry it away even heavy toys attached to a stuck. She's like a dog . She will even bring toys to me. Play and food is what she lives for. Trying to figure out why she freaks out when it rains though.

cruisescouter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are going well then. It just takes time. As long as you are not seeing vicious attacking and blood you are good. :)

Osha would freak out when the TV was turned on the first few months or if we turned off the ceiling fans. I think sometimes these animals were in cages for so long that they get a little weird and not used to normal things. 

My girls will never snuggle or anything, but they will sleep close by to each other, eat together, and sniff buts. Both are awesome in their different ways. 

You might want to look into a tall cat tree or some cat clouds. It helps give them their own space. 

Last edited:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Been keeping them in separate rooms while I'm at work. Just don't want anyone to get hurt. I'm guessing should probably keep doing this. Is it wrong to do that? When I come home I let them out but might separate when I fall asleep too .

our3girls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I watch the cat man show on tv and he recogmends keeping the two cats separated and let them slowly get used to each other.You can use a baby gate or something similar to devide the 2 spaces

cruisescouter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah when you are not home keep them apart until you know they are fine getting along. Will take anywhere from 1-3 months usually, but maybe more, so just read them. Such pretty girls you have! And yeah what @Our3girls  said, maybe a baby gate for when you sleep. 

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Chalupa, it all sounds like it's going really well to me. I've had much more traumatic introductions, a little growling and hissing is to be expected and you shouldn't worry about it. They're both such pretty girls, I can see why you fell in love with them.

Keep a few treats handy while you are playing with them. You can give one of them a treat while the other is engaged with the toy, then switch so that they both get their fair share of treats and play time.

I think keeping them in their own rooms when you are not their to supervise is a good idea. If they only see each other when they see you and get fed and played with then they will learn to associate each other with good things.

It took at least a year before I could leave Susy and The Mu alone together, but now they've got used to each other we hardly ever have any trouble. In fact they gang up on Little Boy, who tends to bully the others, and chase him away if he is bothering them.

You're doing a great job. Just remember, baby steps. And those cats are so much better off with you then they would be in a shelter or out on the street.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, so the spent a day with the cats few days ago. There's less and less hissing the longer they spend time around each other. They both enjoy looking out window at same time. Not going to leave them one any time soon though. Think as the little one gets more comfortable, she might make some mistakes with older one. Older one makes me nervous because she plays rough with toys and is irritable with me. The little one has started what I think is playing with older one. She will kind of hide and stalk older one sometimes and then run and pounce in front of her the run away somewhere looking goofy with tail wagging. I'm not sure she's ready to be a toy for the old one, I've seen what she does to her toys. Also little one still acts scared to walk by her.
Norachan Norachan seems like it might take a year for me to feel comfortable to leave these two alone, even if they font fight so much, I lean towards the overprotective side.
cruisescouter cruisescouter wish I could use a baby gate , actually it could work for the older obese one. While we are working on her weight problem but I can't keep the little bird like one from Jumping around everywhere.

Last edited:

cruisescouter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear things are working out. Sometimes our cats play fight, but it turns rough with knock out punches and fur flying. No one gets really hurt. It just looks worse then it is.

Our Isla has a weight problem too and we are now giving her fiber treats to help curve her figure. She looks a little like your curvy lady. 

Keep us updated!

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 females all were rescued so ages except for Twilights age is a guess. Trinity is 2 Amber is 1 and Twlight is 10 months. They were all rescued within the past year but none at the same time. They all get a long fine. The 2 youngest like to play together. Yow will rarely see them being affectionate with each other. The odest and the youngest will groom each other.

courtneykp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 females and 98% of the time they are best buds! Kitty is almost 2, and Mew is about 5 months. Kitty resented the new baby at first, but i think Mew grew on her since she was so young. Good luck to anyone trying to nurture new furry friendships! :clap: :vibes:

kittendaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited: