Can two females get along?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree about the kittendaddy cute
calico. So far the two have been getting along a little like tom and jerry cartoon. The older one being tom and the younger one being jerry . Except I think they are both doing this for fun. They seem to be doing better than I expected. Not best friends at all but it's interesting to watch how they interact . They tend to sneak up on each other so stometimes and nip the other near the butt to start a chase or game. It's never a big fight. I like how they try to out beg each other for food. They will eat right next to each other. They are both more interested on the other ones food though even though it's the same . Everytime I am struggling with little one to vleAn her eye, she is loud complainer, big one comes to check on what I'm going to her. Wonder of she thinks I'm hurting her.

Last edited:

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 3 females. First came Trinity . Adopted her last Sept. She was estimated to be 9 months to one year at the time of adoption. She is a very mellow laid back girl. Her and her kittens were rescued. So she was a young Momma. Then came Twilight. We rescued her a few mother later  last Dec. She was found on the side of the road. She was only 4 weeks old. Trinity was ok when we bought the new kitten home because Twilight was just a baby and it hadn't been long since she had her babies. she would groom Twilight  and play with her. Then came Amber we adopted her last Feb. She was estimated to be 6 months old. Bringing Amber home was like bringing a playmate home for Twilight they still go nuts playing all the time. Trinity and Amber are not friends but they have never fought. You will never find the 3 of them them cuddling or sleeping together. Which I thought they would do. But then any time I have had more than one dog through the years they never cuddled or slept laying next to one another either.   

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
caltritwiamb4 caltritwiamb4 thank you for writing . It's good at least your girls don't fight. That's all I ask , have a feeling mine might want to keep each other warm in winter though since we live in basement apt.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to share these pix of the girls getting along like Tom & Jerry. The young one likes to provoke the older one to chase her. Think young one knows the older one has trouble jumping up on things. Very unhappy about the younger one jumping the older one while she is in the litterbox it's terribly rude, especially considering how much trouble the older one has with going as it is. They are not too bad though. Never gets serious like on some my cat from hell episodes although sometimes it seems like I have to keep the play from escalating. The older one is excellent at playing though and has taught the little one how to play properly, it's really impressive. The little one really does watch the older one like a role model. Just wish she had a little more respect for litterbox time! They watch videos for cats together and they both will sleep with me at same time although sometimes the older wakes up irritable and then one of them has to go.

Last edited:

kstavert

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 4 females - unrelated - for  a great

many years....

at first, there was quite a bit of growling, etc...

after awhile, they all got along just fine...

my favourite memory of them was coming

into the living room and seeing all 4 lying

in a circle - like spokes of a wheel...

in the middle was a cricket....

these 4 grown ladies lay there - with their

paws tucked under their chests - for hours....

every once in awhile, the cricket would try

to make its way out of the circle and the

closest cat would reach out and pull it

back to the centre again.....

they didn't sleep together or play together...but

would do things like that... or, all stand on a chair

and look out the window together...

I'm introducing 4 kittens to my adult females 

right now...  when the adults smell the kittens,

they usually hiss... though, that's been getting

less and less... I'm hopeful

Right now, the kittens all sleep together in the

bathroom sink.... I hope that the playful and

companionate behaviour continues

One time, I had an adult female and wanted to

get a companion for her (this was early in my

cat days)

I found a sweet kitten... she'd find the adult

and continually jump on her.... the adult was not

a happy camper..... years later, the new kitten

left and the older one walked around the house,

searching and crying....

if you have room for more cats, go for it.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
K kstavert
Thanks for writing about your experience. I love the cricket story. Would like to know how the kittens get on with is 4 adult girls?
Did find that if a real fight ever breaks out with my two that both love playing do much all I have to do is break out an interactive toy. Any flying wand toy like neko flies or something like that. They have 2 favorite toys like that and I don't know what to call them though. These cats will even pick up the the toy in their mouth and drag it to another room wand stick and all (and off a table) and then try to get the toy to work by themselves. They both have done this more than once it's really funny wish I would have took a video.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi here's an update of the girls

They are not best friends and don't cuddle and groom or anything. Do catch them napping together sometimes though, never thought I would see that. Not that they do have it out sometimes, but they never get too bad, seen a lot worse on cat from hell.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The fact that they feel comfortable enough to nap next to each other is huge. A little bit of hissing and swatting now and again is nothing to worry about.

Glad to see they're getting along.

awesomecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had 2 female cats in the past. In the beginning they were always fighting and it was a huge problem for me. But with the time they get used to each other, all though fights were still going on sometimes. 

Last edited by a moderator:

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
awesomecats awesomecats yes everytime they seem to make progress they seem to go backwards. Then they surprise me again. Luckily they both never fight if they are in one room with me, like the door is shut. Also they both love sleeping with me and never fight at bedtime. They will even sleep almost on top of each other sometimes, long as I'm there. Guess I'm pretty lucky, the cat I had before them was total opposite, she seemed to wake up and want to play only if I needed to go to sleep. These cats are kind of like dogs, they mostly seem to love doing anything I'm doing. It's weird. Not going to complain.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's great that your two females get along so well now. Have two female litter mates right now, about 6 years old. They get along fine, adopted together from the shelter about 1.5 years ago. But they aren't exactly buddies. They play sometimes but spend most of their sleep time separately, or angling for a better position on the bed at night. Very rarely do they sleep next to each other but it does happen occasionally. (See pic)

It's much better than my prior experience with two female cats. I had a cat who lived with me since about 10 or so weeks old. At about age 10 years, we took in someone else's single cat who was about 13 years old. This never went well despite slow intros. Two old cats who had lived as only cats all their lives? (At least, I assume that the other one had lived most of her life as only cat.) Now this seems obvious that it would never work. They staked out their ways of mainly avoiding each other and had hissing encounters at times until the older cat's death a few years later. Some cats could use another cat around but some are definitely better off as only cat in the house!

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2bcat 2bcat hi, definitely know what you mean about some cats are better alone. When Adopted my first cat and she came with warning "does not like children or other pets." She was the one who never let me sleep probably because a little bit bored or lonely. 2 cats seem to wear each other out at least. It's interesting the even female litter mates can also have trouble getting along. Though it's also almost human. I knew someone with 5 sisters and half didn't talk to certain ones in their adult life, and then ones who did fought a lot. Same time always kind of thought my first cat was lonely for cat companionship somehow but didn't know how to get along with other cats. With these two, the older one is the more easy going friendlier one so that helps. I almost think they only get into it if very bored or hungry. When the oldest starts chasing her own tail, that's when I know they need to play. Cat trees do help. even though I have 3 trees, sometimes they both want the same spot on top and the trees cause the fight. I was really scared when I brought second one home that they would just be fighting nonstop.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just want to update have 3 girls now who kind of get along sometimes. Although the 2 older cats got a cold within month or 2 of meeting high energy kitten. It's so hard to bond with this kitten, just wants to rip me shreds, the other cats too. The photo is a rare moment.

meowkittymeow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had 3 female livings together at once, with one male and they all go along very well. The older female didn't really want anything to do with anyone... but the other 2 females and male all slept together, groomed each other etc. I have them all spayed, I have no idea if that matters or not.

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
meowkittymeow meowkittymeow thanx, it just might make a difference if there's a boy. Wish the kitten found outside were a boy, but new she was a tortie, kitten constantly chases middle cat, the other Tortie. Think it's because she runs and acts like prey. The older calico has more confidence but also very agitated by kitten. They have at times all slept near each other, but grooming will probably never happen and little fights will probably always break out. This kitten is so hyper. When I play with her she pants like a dog.