Broken Leg. Help!

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cousin broke my cats leg today. Sigh. I'm scared, worried and crying my heart out. He's 2 years old. Soon as it happened I took him to the vet. They took xrays and said his leg was broken in two places plus his paw might be dislocated. It broke directly above his paw. They set it and casted it all the way up his arm. He was also given pain meds but the vet was worried that casting it wouldn't heal it properly. That he may need surgery. The surgery cost 2 thousand and I don't have the money until next month. They said three weeks and it'll already be half healed. I don't know what to do. He's my baby. I love him so much and I feel like my cousin doesn't even care for what he's done. I don't want him to heal and he heals all crooked which the vet feared. Please if anyone has anything to suggest I will greatly appreciate it. Is there anything I can do? My animals are my life and I would die for them. They save me from my depression. I feel so useless to him now....

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!  How did this happen?

Did the vet say you could wait and see if you need the surgery after he's been in the cast?  Or is it now or never?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cousin was walking and instead of looking where he was going he kept walking. And not even that when he stepped his full force on the cats leg he didn't flinch or jump up as if he stepped on something. No he kept walking after he put 240+ pounds on my cats arm. I'm screaming at him and he just walks into the bathroom.

She just said she was worried about it healing deformed since it was broken in two spots. So she recommended the surgery but he's all wrapped up now and she set it.

katherinep1225

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh, that is horrible.

Casting is one of the things cats really hate. Imagine that they can't groom the fur, can't move swiftly.

My youngest kitty once sprained her ankle and it took a whole month to recover.

But this is way more than just a sprain. 

I hope your kitty recovers soon. - and please get a second opinion from other vets.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
What an awful thing to happen! Your poor kitty!

Have you heard of CareCredit? It's a credit card that many vets accept. Since you'll have the $ next month, you could pay it off before interest accrues.

Would your cousin contribute? From what you've written, probably not but he really should since it's his fault.

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could call around but I don't really have the money to keep bringing him in vet office after vet office for them to check and xray over and over. No my cousin will not be helping. He doesn't even care about the cat and he said he didn't know he was there... when he clearly stepped full weight on my cat and not notice? My cat is a 15 pound cat named Thor.

I tried Care credit but was denied... and I don't know what else to do. I even thought about surrendering cause I know they could fix him and I can't.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I just wrote a long reply but it got eaten so a brief synopsis;

See if your vet will accept post dated payments or payment plans. Since you will have funding in a month, it's worth a try.

Check out modestneeds.com. They might publish your story on their web site.

Consider posting on gofundme.

Check out Red Rover. Grants are small but it's a start.

Check out the U.S. Humane Society's web page and search for "help with vet costs." They list national and state charities. Only a few are for cats but it's worth checking out.

Good luck. And give Thor a scratch behind the ears from me. I really hope you can avoid surrendering him.

Please let us know what happens.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, your cousin is a jerk. Is there any way you can take him to small claims court and sue him for your cats medical bill? Or at least some of it?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened. All of the above funding options are great, even the idea of threatening your cousin with legal action. You should never let him around your pets again.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone hurt my cat that badly, I wouldn't be asking for compensation for the vet bills, I'd be demanding it. Regardless of whether it was accidental or not. If your cousin accidentally broke your arm, I'd still expect him to pay for that.

That just makes me so mad!

Yes, please see if there is anything you can do. MargD had great thoughts up there. Definitely see if the vet is willing to work with you though in the meantime. That is the most immediate thing you can do. If it's a practice, make sure you talk to both your vet and the business owner (if they are not the same person). The business owner is the one that would have to make the decision most likely.

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your support and your kindness. I keep him in the room with me since I can't afford a wire crate. I spent all of the money I had on him yesterday getting his x rays and pain meds. My room isn't big at all and I put my mattress on the floor so that he can step up and come snuggle with me. I'll be in this room with him until he is healed. I'm trying everything right now and the stress is overwhelming. He's on pain meds for 5 days, but do you guys think he'll be OK after the five days is up? Or does he need more pain meds?

I've looked into the agency you've mentioned. And I will continue to keep looking. I've been calling other vets and asking what should I do. They said I could get a second opinion about his broken bones whether or not I'll need to get him in for surgery but for now I guess I'll just keep him with me 24hrs. I'll bring him back in three weeks when I get paid again and they said by then he'll be half healed so I can redo some x rays then and see if he's healing properly.

As for the demanding funds from my cousin. He doesn't work, he just freeloads off my brother. So there isn't much he could do but when he approaches my cat, my baby is terrified of him. It makes me so angry. I want him to feel the paid he's dealt.

margd

Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet on Monday and ask about the need for more pain meds. If Thor needs more, they will probably prescribe more. Were they expensive?

Your cousin sounds like a total loser. Sorry to be so blunt but I hate animal abusers and the fact he sponges off your brother makes him even more despicable. Unfortunately it sounds like you won't be able to recover damages from him. Does he live with you? Poor Thor! Of course he's terrified. I would keep a very close eye on him when your cousin is around.

I really hope Thor heals properly and surgery won't be necessary. Please let us know how he does!

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will let everyone know how he's doing! I promise. I'll call Monday and see. The pain meds was 40 dollars for 5 day supply. He takes one syringe every 12 hours.

Your absolutely right. My cousin is a low life. He's almost 30 years old and there is no reason for his actions. I can see now that he doesn't respect me or my animals... I'm just torn Thor had to pay the price. I would trade with him any day.

If it comes down to it, I'm taking my animals and I'm moving out. Plain and simple.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can move, that sounds wise. Have you thought about filing a police report now or after you move out? I hope your brother kicks him out.

Can you try a gofundme page?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry...I hope Thor heals okay. Praying for you and your baby.

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have a large dog crate for him and slim on money cause I spent it all at the emergency vet which was very pricey. Do you guys think he'll be alright in my room? It isn't a big room and he doesn't walk on his casted leg. He actually just keeps it up and hops. Is this OK for him? He doesn't like to be in the room alone and if he hears my voice outside the door he wants to follow me around so he cries constantly until I come back. I don't know how to make him more comfortable. We have a pet carrier but Thor weighs about 17 pounds so, yes he's a big muscle cat. And there's really no room for him to move around in there, plus he has a casted arm so it's more uncomfortable.

nikanini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can try a gofundme page. I'll look it up right now. I also had no idea I could file a police report.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he'll be ok in your room. I would try to be in there with him as much as possible. He will be comforted in your company. :hugs: