Both of my kittys were sick , poor babies ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They were eating mostly wet food again  for about a week . Fancy Feast and very little Friskies .  They both started getting sick . Vomiting , diarrhea and Mei Li had serious Chin Acne ..  Friday  I took both to the Vet for check ups and routine bloodwork and  overall they are in good health . 

For the  past couple of days they are eating only Purina One Smartblend Healthy Metabolism kibble and no issues at all .  It is so weird .. 

I really really want my cats eating mostly wet food but I cannot feed them something that makes them sick .

I just don't get it .. They are super picky too even with kibble .  At least I know they are healthy . Since I stopped the wet food they are perfectly fine .. Btw, my Vet is all for feeding a wet diet but agrees that FF does not agree with my cats for some reason ..

Any ideas ??

Last edited:

cat lady too

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TwoCats4Me:
I just wanted to add a little info on cat diet as related to vomit/diarrhea: Cats have very small, sensitive stomachs and if you suddenly change their diets (wet or dry), they can throw up or get diarrhea very quickly. This is from experience with several of my own cats. Whenever you change food, you need to slowly/gradually acclimate them to the new food by mixing the new food with the old food for a few days, starting out with a little new/mostly old and then gradually increase the new and decrease the old. If you just give them only the new food right away, most cats will have a sensitivity reaction quite soon after eating and may vomit or get diarrhea and even stop eating altogether. Also, some food ingredients just don't set right with some cats and they may never get used to it. Lately, I've been hearing some popular cat foods are now being made in China and not the U.S. and cat owners think the ingredients have changed in some way that gives their cat adverse reactions that never happened before on that food. The two I have heard of are Fancy Feast and Iams. How true that is, I'm not sure. Hope this helps. I have found also that Vets don't always have the right answer or any answer at all, so trying something different on your own might just be the best remedy. Good luck!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot remember all the foods you have tried with your two. But, have you tried Purina's new Muse line? I had the same issue with FF with *multiple* cats. However, do not have those issues with the Muse line.

Also, I have recently retried Soulistic with kitties in our rescue and it is being very well accepted, even by some of our pickier eaters.
I will note that most of the Soulistic contains fish (mostly tuna); but, there are 2 varieties that are fish-free (these are chicken).

Also, Petsmart's Has just released some new canned varieties in their Simply Nourish line. There is both pate and chunks in gravy. They are grain-free.

kingvega

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!! New to the cat world but glad I joined!! I found a feral cat, took him home, named him Vega. He is a big boy now. Right now, I'm having trouble finding vet that's isn't after my money and wants what's best for my Vega. I have spoken with different places I keep getting in the 300 range for a check up and shots. Don't mind paying but I want to see with everyone else is that what you pay for your cat. I would like to be able to get my cat checked up every 3 months but with the price of 300-400 dollars seems really high (Mom isn't having it lol) I haven't noticed anything with Vega besides the fact he is addicted to fancy feast lol. If I even think of giving him something else he will have a fit. He is a year old. Oh yeah recently female cat came to my back door. He cries down at my back door all day any chance he gets. What exactly does that mean? I think I get the picture of what he wants. Would it be appropriate for him to have a gf at 1? Or do I wait. Just worried he crying because something else. I'm putting picture..point out something that seems off. Lol everyone says I have turned him into a little baby. If so he is my little baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TwoCats4Me:
I just wanted to add a little info on cat diet as related to vomit/diarrhea: Cats have very small, sensitive stomachs and if you suddenly change their diets (wet or dry), they can throw up or get diarrhea very quickly. This is from experience with several of my own cats. Whenever you change food, you need to slowly/gradually acclimate them to the new food by mixing the new food with the old food for a few days, starting out with a little new/mostly old and then gradually increase the new and decrease the old. If you just give them only the new food right away, most cats will have a sensitivity reaction quite soon after eating and may vomit or get diarrhea and even stop eating altogether. Also, some food ingredients just don't set right with some cats and they may never get used to it. Lately, I've been hearing some popular cat foods are now being made in China and not the U.S. and cat owners think the ingredients have changed in some way that gives their cat adverse reactions that never happened before on that food. The two I have heard of are Fancy Feast and Iams. How true that is, I'm not sure. Hope this helps. I have found also that Vets don't always have the right answer or any answer at all, so trying something different on your own might just be the best remedy. Good luck!
Thank you so much .   Yeah , they have been eating FF off and on for quite some time with the same results but this time it was worse . So no more  for sure .. They cannot eat Iams either ..

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot remember all the foods you have tried with your two. But, have you tried Purina's new Muse line? I had the same issue with FF with *multiple* cats. However, do not have those issues with the Muse line.

Also, I have recently retried Soulistic with kitties in our rescue and it is being very well accepted, even by some of our pickier eaters.
I will note that most of the Soulistic contains fish (mostly tuna); but, there are 2 varieties that are fish-free (these are chicken).

Also, Petsmart's Has just released some new canned varieties in their Simply Nourish line. There is both pate and chunks in gravy. They are grain-free.
Thank you so much ..  I have tried Soulistic and they would not eat it . They will not eat anything but pate ..  I will check out the Simply Nourish ..

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it was just the fish in the wet foods that were possibly making them sick? Or are you concluding that wet food is making them sick?
If they just like pate, then I would get the bullet processor and mush up all the canned foods you want to try. You can even try it with dry food and some water!
I nominate you for having the pickiest cats on this site! At this point i would feed them whatever wet food they are willing to eat consistently....no matter if it has by-products and grains.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

They were eating mostly wet food again  for about a week . Fancy Feast and very little Friskies .  They both started getting sick . Vomiting , diarrhea and Mei Li had serious Chin Acne ..  Friday  I took both to the Vet for check ups and routine bloodwork and  overall they are in good health . 

For the  past couple of days they are eating only Purina One Smartblend Healthy Metabolism kibble and no issues at all .  It is so weird .. 

I really really want my cats eating mostly wet food but I cannot feed them something that makes them sick .

I just don't get it .. They are super picky too even with kibble .  At least I know they are healthy . Since I stopped the wet food they are perfectly fine .. Btw, my Vet is all for feeding a wet diet but agrees that FF does not agree with my cats for some reason ..

Any ideas ??
Sounds like a reaction to one or more of the ingredients in the food to me. This will not show up in bloodwork or routine checkups. Because it's wet food and not kibble, I would suspect a binder or thickener in the wet food. Something similar happened to my male cat. I switched both cats from dry to wet, and he got really sick on wet. Turns out he is sensitive to gums and thickeners. You will have to do some "detective work" to figure this out, but start by keeping track of ingredients each time they get sick. Pretty soon you'll have a list of "suspect ingredients" and you can compare how they react with and without those ingredients.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woah, I JUST posted about my cat vomiting on FF this week!   I have a rotation, and throw in a FF in the chunky or grilled varieties.

The same cat puked after both FF meals this week!   I think something is up!  They'd been eating it fine for the last several months, no troubles until this week.......

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/305135/fancy-feast-vomiting

Last edited:

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was just the fish in the wet foods that were possibly making them sick? Or are you concluding that wet food is making them sick?
If they just like pate, then I would get the bullet processor and mush up all the canned foods you want to try. You can even try it with dry food and some water!
I nominate you for having the pickiest cats on this site! At this point i would feed them whatever wet food they are willing to eat consistently....no matter if it has by-products and grains.
I don't think it is wet food in general that makes them sick .  I think it is something in the FF that makes them sick .  I came to that conclusion considering that is the only wet food they will eat .. They do not get sick at all on just the kibble .  Yes they are super picky ..  Not much I can do about that I guess .

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like a reaction to one or more of the ingredients in the food to me. This will not show up in bloodwork or routine checkups. Because it's wet food and not kibble, I would suspect a binder or thickener in the wet food. Something similar happened to my male cat. I switched both cats from dry to wet, and he got really sick on wet. Turns out he is sensitive to gums and thickeners. You will have to do some "detective work" to figure this out, but start by keeping track of ingredients each time they get sick. Pretty soon you'll have a list of "suspect ingredients" and you can compare how they react with and without those ingredients.
I agree ..   My Vet wanted me to buy a few cans of RX food  to ease the digestive issues but at $2.49 a can I could not afford to waste the money .. I was pretty sure they would not touch it .. They are perfectly fine on just the kibble .. 

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree that it's probably something specific to Fancy Feast. Perhaps even a combination of ingredients...

Wasn't there a canned food you'd bought at Big Lots that your cats had liked, at least in small quantities, @2Cats4Me? Even feeding some wet food might help with Philippe's weight loss. I hope you're able to find them something else they'll eat and enjoy! (Maybe those chicken treats you found for $1 will help encourage them to eat something else?)

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree that it's probably something specific to Fancy Feast. Perhaps even a combination of ingredients...

Wasn't there a canned food you'd bought at Big Lots that your cats had liked, at least in small quantities, @2Cats4Me? Even feeding some wet food might help with Philippe's weight loss. I hope you're able to find them something else they'll eat and enjoy! (Maybe those chicken treats you found for $1 will help encourage them to eat something else?)
Yeah ,definitely something in the FF ..   I did get a couple cans of something at Big Lots  that they sort of liked but would not eat it again . The only wet they ate consistently was the FF ..  They also don't like the freeze dried chicken that much either . My dogs are  crazy about though .  These cats are crazy ..  They are eating good though so that is all that matters to me .  I will let them be content with the kibble for awhile before I try wet food  .  

Although not the  best at least the Purina kibble is high protein and low fat at 42%  &  8%  .. 

Not sure what wet food to go with  . I will have to do some research .  It would be easier if they were not so picky ..

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2cats4me,

I know we talked about this before in your other thread, but I can't remember if your cats like pate or not.  (mine don't - they will eventually eat it, but it takes like 4 rounds of going back and adding more toppers lol)

I'm really concerned about the FF because mine had been eating it for the LONGEST time, and just this past week, my one boy got sick every time I served it.   The others weren't affected.  But he vomited both times they got a FF dinner this past week.   Something was up with those cans - hopefully it was just a single bad batch that I bought from, but regardless I'm pulling it from the menu entirely.

I also feed mine Purina Healthy Metabolism and they LOVE those.   They also like the Purina One Pairings (turkey/chicken, chicken/salmon).   I can get those from the grocery store.

I have to go to Petco to get these, but they also like the Purina One Pro Plan Healthy Metabolism, and the Purina One Pro Plan True Nature cans.   They also like the Nutro Natural Choice cans (the minced and the sliced varieties).    Also the Nutro Max Cat Adult, Pride Rockstar Rabbit, and sometimes they'll eat the green Soulistic chicken cans (the Good Karma ones).  They like the Natural Balance Delectable Delights (they come in those little tub containers) and sometimes the Canidae PURE turkey & rabbit cans.   I can get them to eat Natures Variety cans, but it requires a few extra rounds of toppers to get them to finish it.   They also REALLY used to like the Merrick purrfect bistro cans, but right around the time when they changed their labelling, my cats stopped eating it - maybe something in the formula itself changed also, along with the labels.  Too bad, because I really liked that food for them.   It was relatively cheap and pretty good ingredient list.    Anyway, this is just a list of stuff my guys like if you want to check it out.   

I know our cats differ on the freeze-dried chicken treats (mine LOVE them and will eat anything that I sprinkle with crushed-up PureBites) and I use the Primal raw nuggets a lot as toppers, which I really like since those are actually a meal in themselves and not a "treat."   My one boy loved the Primal immediately - the others didn't like it at first, then one day decided that Primal was AWESOME and now everyone loves it 

I wish they would more willingly eat the pate style foods, but I'll take what I can get - I know they are getting plenty hydrated because I add extra water with every meal so that the Primal gets nice & wet.  I don't like them eating the wheat gluten, but these are the wet foods they will eat...........

But I'm scared about this FF situation - hopefully it is not more widespread, but it is worrying to me that my one boy got sick both times, and now you say yours got sick this past week as well.  I wonder how many other people this is affecting?    had yours been eating the FF for awhile?  Mine have been eating for the past year (started out with the Classic flavors, then moved on to grilled/chunky when they stopped eating pates) and no issues with it at all until this week.   I never get the fish or beef FF, only the chicken or turkey flavors.    Very strange!!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

2cats4me,

I know we talked about this before in your other thread, but I can't remember if your cats like pate or not.  (mine don't - they will eventually eat it, but it takes like 4 rounds of going back and adding more toppers lol)

I'm really concerned about the FF because mine had been eating it for the LONGEST time, and just this past week, my one boy got sick every time I served it.   The others weren't affected.  But he vomited both times they got a FF dinner this past week.   Something was up with those cans - hopefully it was just a single bad batch that I bought from, but regardless I'm pulling it from the menu entirely.

I also feed mine Purina Healthy Metabolism and they LOVE those.   They also like the Purina One Pairings (turkey/chicken, chicken/salmon).   I can get those from the grocery store.

I have to go to Petco to get these, but they also like the Purina One Pro Plan Healthy Metabolism, and the Purina One Pro Plan True Nature cans.   They also like the Nutro Natural Choice cans (the minced and the sliced varieties).    Also the Nutro Max Cat Adult, Pride Rockstar Rabbit, and sometimes they'll eat the green Soulistic chicken cans (the Good Karma ones).  They like the Natural Balance Delectable Delights (they come in those little tub containers) and sometimes the Canidae PURE turkey & rabbit cans.   I can get them to eat Natures Variety cans, but it requires a few extra rounds of toppers to get them to finish it.   They also REALLY used to like the Merrick purrfect bistro cans, but right around the time when they changed their labelling, my cats stopped eating it - maybe something in the formula itself changed also, along with the labels.  Too bad, because I really liked that food for them.   It was relatively cheap and pretty good ingredient list.    Anyway, this is just a list of stuff my guys like if you want to check it out.   

I know our cats differ on the freeze-dried chicken treats (mine LOVE them and will eat anything that I sprinkle with crushed-up PureBites) and I use the Primal raw nuggets a lot as toppers, which I really like since those are actually a meal in themselves and not a "treat."   My one boy loved the Primal immediately - the others didn't like it at first, then one day decided that Primal was AWESOME and now everyone loves it 

I wish they would more willingly eat the pate style foods, but I'll take what I can get - I know they are getting plenty hydrated because I add extra water with every meal so that the Primal gets nice & wet.  I don't like them eating the wheat gluten, but these are the wet foods they will eat...........

But I'm scared about this FF situation - hopefully it is not more widespread, but it is worrying to me that my one boy got sick both times, and now you say yours got sick this past week as well.  I wonder how many other people this is affecting?    had yours been eating the FF for awhile?  Mine have been eating for the past year (started out with the Classic flavors, then moved on to grilled/chunky when they stopped eating pates) and no issues with it at all until this week.   I never get the fish or beef FF, only the chicken or turkey flavors.    Very strange!!
Yeah, my cats will only eat Pate .  I tried the FF Grilled and other varities but they would not eat those either . I have tried almost every brand of wet food out there .  They hate everything .  The only thing I could get them to eat everyday was the FF Classic but they started getting sick of and on . This past week they even refused to eat the FF . I am not sure what it is about it that makes them sick though . I don't think the  brand itself is bad there is just some ingredient that my cats can't handle .   So for now it is just  kibble .. They do great on the Purina One Smartblend Healthy Metabolism dry . They really like it .  I tried to get them to eat Wysong Epigen but they did not like it . I mixed it with the Purina One and they ate everything but the Wysong .

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it can be really frustrating, but I also think it's kind of hilarious that when you mix 2 different types of dry food together, they will actually pick out the kibble pieces of the food they don't like 
  how do they do that??  my guys have done that before too, and it always amazed me because I thought they inhaled a few pieces at once when they ate the kibble, I didn't know they ate individual pieces one at a time like that.  I swear, these guys can be little geniuses!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know it can be really frustrating, but I also think it's kind of hilarious that when you mix 2 different types of dry food together, they will actually pick out the kibble pieces of the food they don't like 
  how do they do that??  my guys have done that before too, and it always amazed me because I thought they inhaled a few pieces at once when they ate the kibble, I didn't know they ate individual pieces one at a time like that.  I swear, these guys can be little geniuses!
It really is .. They are crazy .  If they did pick up the Wysong pieces by mistake they would spit it out on the floor .  There were little pieces all around their dish ..

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise

Wasn't there a canned food you'd bought at Big Lots that your cats had liked, at least in small quantities, @2Cats4Me
? Even feeding some wet food might help with Philippe's weight loss. I hope you're able to find them something else they'll eat and enjoy! (Maybe those chicken treats you found for $1 will help encourage them to eat something else?)
don't they like Daves as I recall!