Black Cats Only

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was just at a no-kill shelter and they were overrun with black cats. They said they have a hard time to have black cats adopted. Does anyone know why that is so? I find black cats and even those that are not all black (tuxedos and their kin) do be the most affectionate that always want to be with you if not in your lap or in your bed with you. Are there still US  cat people who  believe that old superstition of black cats being evil or to be bad luck? In most other countries black cats are considered to be GOOD luck.
When I go to the adoption area in Pet Smart or any other adoption site I always look for the black or tuxedo cats. I don't have another one yet but I would rather have a black one over any other. I have always had a black or tux until last year and maybe one day I will get another one. I love their personality and how affectionate they are.

I am not superstitious and think all that is a bunch of crap.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
My black foster cat Patrick, age 4, had to be cleaned out as he could not poop properly, his poop was big and hard. The vet took blood, everything is ok, Put him on Hill's prescription diet W/D, 1/3 can 3 times daily and a probiotic and MiraLax. Has anyone had that kind of problem and what about a cat being on MiraLax for an extended period? He had been eating the same food for many months and my resident cats have been eating the same food for 20 years without any problems ever.

Here he is under a "papasan chair" on the enclosed patio

where he also likes to be on top of the cat tree.

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, I just learned that cats have a second eyelid.

(Oh, its a him, heh heh) no discharge and his eye is closed, I looked it up and I found out about second eyelids, ahahahha. He is soooo sleepy

Last edited by a moderator:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you're lucky to even have seen it. most people have never seen that third eyelid, it shows up mostly when they don't feel well. it does not mean that your cat is sick, he probably was just sleepy and did not want to be bothered and also knew that he was safe. otherwise his eyes would have popped right open. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is Panthera: "There is nothing to eat". Me: "What do you call the food in the bowls?" Panthera: "That? That's not food, it's only food when the bowl is full." Me: "You've made a big mess on the floor, there would be more food in the bowl if you didn't throw it all over the floor." Panthera: "Who? Me? Must have been Bebe, she's lurking in the background. I never make a mess. I'm a real clean cat with excellent manners." Me: "Oh yeah? And who is that leaving litter all over the floor next to the box? You even get litter on your back and walk around with it for hours before bringing it into my bed." Panthera: silence. "Now feed me!!!"

Does anyone else have a cat that makes such a mess when eating? Bebe, the Persian, has an excuse because her face is so flat that she pushes the food out of the far side when she dives in to eat, but what excuse to the others have, especially this one, who pushes everyone else out of the way and so gets to eat off the top?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Does anyone else have a cat that makes such a mess when eating? Bebe, the Persian, has an excuse because her face is so flat that she pushes the food out of the far side when she dives in to eat, but what excuse to the others have, especially this one, who pushes everyone else out of the way and so gets to eat off the top?
Yes! Mine are all terribly messy eaters. Toby actually likes to fish his food out of the bowl with a paw and then eat it off the floor. And if I try to scoop the food up and put it back in the bowl they all look at me like I've tried to poison them. 

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Luci does that too. She will pick out the pieces she wants to eat and leave the rest all over the table. Once they are out of the bowl, all the cats think they are dirty so needless to say they do not touch them. If I scoop them up and put them back in the bowl I get an evil look then they end up all over the table again.

thegreatbluecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Shiek the black panther lol. She is a feral cat that has been living here for years. There is no telling how long she lived in these woods before we moved here.. and it took her nearly 4 years to start coming to us. She is quite the hunter and survivor! She wont come in though :/
Wow. Is she truly that long or is it an optical illusion?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Shiek the black panther lol. She is a feral cat that has been living here for years. There is no telling how long she lived in these woods before we moved here.. and it took her nearly 4 years to start coming to us. She is quite the hunter and survivor! She wont come in though :/
She's a beauty. Black cats are so graceful. My Henry looks like a mini panther, too. He's also very long and lean.