Best and worst cat treats

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken and Turkey. My cats love them. Healthy, soft, and very affordable!

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine also love Three Dog Bakerys freeze-dried salmon treats...they are expensive though for a tiny box and the owner of my local store is a jerk.

sportscat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I registered just to say this- Don't give your cats temptations

google search it- they are killing cats left and right according to the reports. And I have first hand experience that they are highly addictive and your cat will become less loving after getting addicted ot the treats. And if you try to stop giving them to your cat, it won't eat or anything and basially starve itself.

Those things are highly dangerous and need to be recalled. 

Don't take a chance. Get rid of those and give it something else. Do your research before you buy anything. Many cat litters are also toxic. 

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I registered just to say this- Don't give your cats temptations

google search it- they are killing cats left and right according to the reports. And I have first hand experience that they are highly addictive and your cat will become less loving after getting addicted ot the treats. And if you try to stop giving them to your cat, it won't eat or anything and basially starve itself.

Those things are highly dangerous and need to be recalled. 

Don't take a chance. Get rid of those and give it something else. Do your research before you buy anything. Many cat litters are also toxic. 
I second that. I hate most cat treats as they are full of artificial additives that will not only create an unhealthy addiction but medical problems in cats. They are junk! I hate these companies. It's not enough that the food giants are making America sick with their over processed, artificial additive filled junk. Now they have to turn quick profits from our pets by creating unnecessary addiction and illness. I seldom use treats, but if I have to, I'll use ones that are 100% meat and nothing more. There are many brands out there that make single ingredient meat treats - Orijens is one of them. I feel sorry for people (and their cats!) who have been duped by the advertising, marketing and PR gimmicks that tell them the treats are healthy for their cats. 

scarlett88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats are 3-year old brother & sister....so loving and adorable. I always gave them Party Mix for treats until I had a coupon and tried Temptations. They hang around the cabinet where I keep them and look at me and my husband with pleading eyes and meowing. After reading this article, I realize we are over-indulging them by giving treats twice a day...especially my husband who gives them too many. As of today, I'm cutting the quantity down to 5 pieces each twice a day. They both are good eaters, but finicky about wet food and they both drink lots of water, but I don't want to take chances with kidney problems, since I had a cat years ago that had that. Can anyone tell me if its ok to just feed them chicken, turkey, beef, etc. and not ever give them fish for their wet food? I figure cats are carnivores so I never give them fish.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every treat seemed to make our cat sick - our friend gave her the Temptations once and she had explosive diarrhea; we gave her Greenies and once again she immediately got explosive diarrhea. They also contain highly addictive substances - the pet food companies have to make their profits, right? So why not create addictions that will keep the customers coming back for more, more, more!

For all those reasons, we gave up on all treats for awhile figuring they do nothing for her except make her sick. UNTIL Nature's Variety came out with their Rabbit Raw Boost Mixer. They're marketed mostly as freeze-dried raw toppers for their meals, but we use them alone as treats. Our cat loves them and they don't make her sick. They also make a chicken boost mixer. 

I've also tried these single ingredient treats made of 100% freeze dried chicken and nothing added (PureBites and Catmandoo) - they did not make our cat sick and contain no substances that create unhealthy addictions in our cat. 

Last edited:

hatchytt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kids go nuts for Temptations Mix ups. I tried a catnip treat once, they ran. When buying any foodstuff, I have to factor in Hecate and her fish allergy.

scarlett88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats are Temptation addicts, but still like Party Mix. Shake the bag and them both come running, but we definitely have to cut back on the quantity. We've been over-doing it. My Jezebel is small-11 lbs., but her brother Jasper is a big 25 lb. boy-not fat, just a really big cat. Ever since someone posted about Temptations causing kidney problems, I'm nervous, but they both drink lots of water..most of the time right from the faucet. Another bad habit we got them into!

red dog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just tried Primal Jerky Organic Chicken Nibs Dog & Cat Treats, the beef variety also. Basically jerky treats, Rayna & Rhett seem to prefer beef nibs. They promote a lot more chewing than normal pates.

https://www.chewy.com/dp/117469

Last edited:

mrsty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats love the Cat Man Doo Life Essentials freeze dried chicken or Bonita flakes. Also the Natures Variety raw boost mixers. Protein with no grains and cats love them (even if there is no animal digest on them!). So I believe I am feeding them something really good for them, because my cats do get treats every day. Spoiled babies....
I also give them treats by Pet Naturals of Vermont. Great way to get some things (like lysine) into them that they need. I also have found some probiotic treats that they like.

skelekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my kittens Babytabs (they're german I can't read the packaging) which I got from zooplus, they smell milky and are a nice consistency (I'll admit doing a taste test to see if they were too hard for my babies when they were tiny!)

But recently I found some Whiskas Milky Treats on offer, 3 for £3 which I couldn't turn down. The ingredients aren't the best. But I don't spoil my two, they get one little treat a day if they're lucky, and so a bag of those will last me a solid month despite it not being all that big.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After having some very bad close calls with that very popular brand a lot people are posting about here, I looked for something else that was as healthy as possible, while also being palatable and affordable.  SPOT brand Feline Harvest is what we found.  It's grain-free, dental health helpful, and comes in several flavors, of which we enjoy the tuna, salmon, and chicken.  

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We talk all the time about regular meals, but in the two and a half months I have been here, I have not seen a single thread about treats.

Considering cats eat less than an ounce each time (Patricia usually gets three) and treats are also used as training tools, obviously we do not want to worry as much about the ingredients as we rightfully do with the bags and cans with stupid misleading labels. But I am wondering if all the discussions about carrageenan, vegetables, and grains are relevant to cat treats because Patricia eats them every day and during his last two weeks, Wilbur refused to eat anything else. I guess it is like eating frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

I always buy Pounce for one reason: I hate the containers Whisker Lickens treats are packed in. Patricia always loved Pounce. Petco has two flavors - chicken and tuna - in bottles, which are easier for me than bags. Patricia has no preference. If it is a treat it takes five seconds to eat. She always washes them down right away, so I think it encourages her to drink more.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my Tuffy cat a chicken gizzard every day for his treat. It's so healthy and is great for keeping his teeth in good shape.

susantasha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Petvalue here in Canada sell feline greenies they come on all sorts of flovers and some are for fur and hair, dental etc.Check themout I find alot healthier ingredients thanones that come from china. Happy shopping.Lots of vitamens too!