Best and worst cat treats

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if it is a legal thing, as dog treats have no taurine?
Maybe.  Although, they are only treats.  I'm pretty sure none of the freeze dried treats I get otherwise have taurine added.  The Pure Bites are just chicken for example, nothing else.

jimmyandjosey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both of my boys love Temptations! Kitty Crack indeed...lol I started buying the because one of my guys wouldn't eat the other hairball stuff. They both love the Temptations Hairball treats! And they seen to be working really well. But I only give them 10 a day, all at once about an hour after I get home from work and they devour them but never bug me for me for more. Maybe giving the to them at the se time everyday helps...

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to give temptations but stopped a couple of years ago when kitty started gaining weight and I learned to read the ingredient labels. He went treat free(declined the cooked chicken or other meat he was offered) and recently started eating the pure bites chicken treats. Absolutely LOVES them, and begs for more when he eats the couple he is given.

I am curious about this whole life freeze dried brand now but money is tight  and can't order online. The petsmart down the road either doesn't stock them or I'm just blind

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to give temptations but stopped a couple of years ago when kitty started gaining weight and I learned to read the ingredient labels. He went treat free(declined the cooked chicken or other meat he was offered) and recently started eating the pure bites chicken treats. Absolutely LOVES them, and begs for more when he eats the couple he is given.

I am curious about this whole life freeze dried brand now but money is tight  and can't order online. The petsmart down the road either doesn't stock them or I'm just blind
Contact the company and ask if there are any retailers in your area, or plans for one.  They are a small company with a real person running it <G>, and if you don't ask, you'll never know!  Love the Whole Life Pet Treats company :)  Here is their website

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took a quick look at their list of stores but all as close as they come is in Saskatchewan lol.

Will give a call after work though, maybe they will send a sample =)

lord tisbury

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby also LOVES the Friskies Party Treats.  He stopped eating the softer, healthier treats. 

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got some Nature's Variety Raw Boost minis chicken formula.  They're just little pieces of freeze-dried raw.  I like that they are raw, and low-cal.  We put them in a "treat ball" so the cats have to work to get them.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use treats as a small "third meal" for my younger cat Dexter - he scarfs his food down in 5 minutes, my older cat Boo takes hours as she nibbles delicately.  So Dexter gets treats between his two main meals so he's getting something and not feeling neglected.  Since they are a small meal, I use the same criteria as I would for his food - all species appropriate ingredients.

And it gives me a chance to reinforce the "sit up like a bear" trick I taught him!

Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Crunch - this is marketed for dogs, but the only 'doglike' thing about them, really, is the size of the chunks.  Dehydrated raw.

Freeze dried turkey hearts are another treat I use - usually dry since that takes longer for him to eat.

Both are marketed towards dogs but fine for cats. In fact, I find the best all natural treats in the DOG section.  Like I said above, the only thing that makes them for dogs is the size of the single treat.  And I think per ounce cost might be a little cheaper, as they need to sell them in bigger bags for the folks with big dogs!

luvcats365

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I give my sweet kitty temptations captains catch mix ups p:rbheart: he goes crazy when I give a treat to him he really loves his treats his treats are like magic with sweet flavores :kitty::vibes::jaw:

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just stocked up on treats.  After perusing many products at a big box pet store, I decided to make the trip to a small independent store that sells Momentum freeze dried organs etc.  YOWZA...I have never been to the company website - dayum...waaaaaay cheaper to buy direct.  I have purchased the turkey hearts before; this time, duck hearts.

http://www.momentumcn.com/products.html

You can feed these dry or rehydrate with water.  I think they are a great deal at the price I had been paying...buying direct, they are cheaper, IMHO, and a great deal considering you are getting pure protein and nothing else.

musicalcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We love the Kitty Yums from Blue! They're full of natural deliciousness for my boy and they are easy to break into smaller pieces so I'm not compelled to give him too many.

peer jones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My baby also LOVES the Friskies Party Treats.  He stopped eating the softer, healthier treats. 
Almost two years on, Kat-Kat is now somewhat 'naughty' until he's had his Beachside Crunch party mix. He will sit in the 'middle' of TV screen just to let everyone know he's waiting. If that doesn't work, he pushes any DVD's off the shelf.

He's also started sitting by the rerfrigerator when he want's water (has to be cold and in a glass bowl or ceramic, he doesn't like stainless steel
)

I think he's getting way too much in the way of 'treats', maybe he's judst spoiled?

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know what sucks?

Only one company makes pill pocket treats and it is not Whole Life Pet Products.

According to Greenies, veterinarians made up the recipes for pill pockets. I find that hard to believe when the treats have things called corn syrup and wheat gluten.
Thera-Bites makes Tablet Tuckers. I don't know anything aboit the ingredients but you may have to go to a vet to get them.

artem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough, my cat LOVES pill pockets.  The Greenies pill pockets and deli turkey tend to be the big hitters.  He doesn't get either terribly often, but when I desperately need his cooperation, those are my go-to's.  I've used a mix of both to teach him to come when called and use one or the other to get him into the carrier for vet visits.  He also likes freeze dried chicken (I THINK it's from Halo but I'm not sure, it was whatever they had at Whole Foods that day) and a brand of dog jerky broken into smaller pieces (the only ingredient is chicken so I'm pretty sure he should be okay).  We don't do treats much but they're helpful sometimes.  Plus, he may be the only cat in the world that gets excited for medication time.  He's only had to be pilled twice (once after some digestive upset, once after neutering) but he's learned that pills=pill pockets=awesome.  Literally swallows them in one gulp.  He doesn't actually get treats for nail trimmings, as they just rile him up and I've found it's easier just to make it as low-key as possible, maybe paired with some nice petting.

kittyarden33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, my cat goes crazy for the party mix too! She meows whenever she spots them on the counter!!!

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine love the party mix too! Juniper drools so bad I have to wipe the floor when she's done. Pure addiction. If my other cat has some in front of him Juniper will grab it with her paw and steal it.