Best and worst cat treats

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know, I don't mean to start an argument or anything I just don't like the idea of ordering food products online. It's kinda like prescription drugs. You are putting a lot of trust into someone you don't know or have even met to give you what they say they are giving you. It's just a personal thing. That being said I guess you could say the same for store bought treats, you are taking their word that what ever they put into the list of ingredients is true.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a really helpful thread bc the kitties at the adoption center get a lot of treats. They hate to go back in their cages after being out, and some of them get very hissy and bitey just because they do not want to be picked up. We try to entice them so it is "their own free will" but in a few cases we have to use treats before or after or both. So it helps for them to get a treat but it also makes them gain weight since this is every day and they are caged. I am going to try some of these other suggestions and hope they work :-)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know, I don't mean to start an argument or anything I just don't like the idea of ordering food products online. It's kinda like prescription drugs. You are putting a lot of trust into someone you don't know or have even met to give you what they say they are giving you. It's just a personal thing. That being said I guess you could say the same for store bought treats, you are taking their word that what ever they put into the list of ingredients is true.
I find this puzzling. I'm not sure what the difference between buying a brand name treat from a physical store vs an online store is. :dk:

I'm like Willowy and Carolina. I buy just about everything online these days. :lol3: I live in a really rural area, so other than supermarket shopping - even a trip to a Walmart is a good chunk of the day. And it's usually cheaper online.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see the difference between ordering name-brand products online or buying them at a store. The store orders the products online (or over the phone), after all :dk:. Now, ordering random things from random people takes more of a leap of faith, I agree. But buying name-brand products from Amazon is totally safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon sells a lot of the same things you buy at a store anyway, like the Pounce treats Patricia eats (and her other favorite, Whisker Lickins). But I live close enough to Petco to go there for her things. That way I don't have to pay for shipping or worry about when Patricia's food and litter will arrive.

Of course, if I want to feed something Petco and Petsmart don't sell, I would definitely buy her food and treats online.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubberboots,
No offense taken...but as you can see from the marketplace ads, lots of folks here have their own little businesses of making crafty items, cat toys etc.  An online store should list their return policies for you, and if a new to you store, I'd take a good look over what they choose to offer, how they present themselves, and write with any questions you may have before placing your order re expiration dates etc.

I personally LOVE shopping online  - hate traffic and crowds and running from place to place. I get to know a vendor and then stick with them, though I do a lot of research before I try one (and go on recommendations - LDG for instance, recommended Nueske's once..ma -wow..that has made my family very happy..lol.)

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie,
It's not right in my world if I don't get a ham from them at least once a year, gift my friend Jenni with some goodie from there for Christmas, and for my Christmas - diet or no- we always get a Kringle :)
TY, ty, ty for that long ago recommendation!

**and I now return this thread to its topic of treats! for the furry crew.

Last edited:

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just thought I would pop in here. Pill pockets don't always work, some kitties are savvy to them. You're supposed to give an empty pill pocket to the cat first (because the first time cats try anything, they test it around in their mouths and make sure it tastes and feels right) and then give the pilled treat to the cat (because the second time cats eat something, they just gulp it down
). Doesn't work for all kitties, but when it does you're lucky!

sniglet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Annie and my Italian Greyhound Sadie both LOVE Temptations. I was eating peanuts a few weeks ago and being absentminded didn't realize I had finished the peanuts and now had Temptations in my hand. So... I popped them into my mouth and chomped on them. I cannot attest to their tastiness because I sort of spit them out when I realized they weren't my peanuts. However, I can tell you that they are pleasantly light and crunchy. Our household casts three votes for Temptations.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty Annie and my Italian Greyhound Sadie both LOVE Temptations. I was eating peanuts a few weeks ago and being absentminded didn't realize I had finished the peanuts and now had Temptations in my hand. So... I popped them into my mouth and chomped on them. I cannot attest to their tastiness because I sort of spit them out when I realized they weren't my peanuts. However, I can tell you that they are pleasantly light and crunchy. Our household casts three votes for Temptations.
OMG that is hilarious!
 Sometimes I do wonder what cat food would taste like if I ate it.

Was Annie mad at you for eating her treats?

sniglet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, Annie wasn't mad. She thought it was nice for us all to be enjoying hors d'oeuvres together.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH MY GOSH

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We talk all the time about regular meals, but in the two and a half months I have been here, I have not seen a single thread about treats.

Considering cats eat less than an ounce each time (Patricia usually gets three) and treats are also used as training tools, obviously we do not want to worry as much about the ingredients as we rightfully do with the bags and cans with stupid misleading labels. But I am wondering if all the discussions about carrageenan, vegetables, and grains are relevant to cat treats because Patricia eats them every day and during his last two weeks, Wilbur refused to eat anything else. I guess it is like eating frozen yogurt instead of ice cream.

I always buy Pounce for one reason: I hate the containers Whisker Lickens treats are packed in. Patricia always loved Pounce. Petco has two flavors - chicken and tuna - in bottles, which are easier for me than bags. Patricia has no preference. If it is a treat it takes five seconds to eat. She always washes them down right away, so I think it encourages her to drink more.
I dunno.  I see cat treat threads around here all of the time.  My 4 are feline Greenies fans.  They love them and they each get 5 every night.  They love the game of hide and seek.  I'll hide 'em and they hunt 'em down
  Their favorite is the chicken flavor followed closely by the tuna. 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dunno.  I see cat treat threads around here all of the time.  My 4 are feline Greenies fans.  They love them and they each get 5 every night.  They love the game of hide and seek.  I'll hide 'em and they hunt 'em down   Their favorite is the chicken flavor followed closely by the tuna. 
There are hide and seek cat toys you can buy on Amazon. They are marketed for dogs, but there is no reason a hungry kitty can't use them.