Bell's Palsy strikes twice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I apologize for not posting this sooner, but I've been quite sick with a fever and what I think is viral pneumonia this week, so I haven't felt up to posting very much.

My 10th and final treatment for the palsy was Thursday evening, the 4th. At that time, my face was about 90% back to capacity, and without further treatments after #10, I am very, very happy to say that over the course of the 5 days that followed, the rest of my facial nerves had successfully regenerated, and there is no more appearance of drooping whatsoever.

My smile is back to 150 watts, with the left corner of my smile back in it's proper place at just higher than the right side. My dimple has returned, my eyebrow works (I can give you "The People's Eyebrow, lol,) and I can flare my left nostril again.

All in all, 10 treatments with the cold laser light, 2 1/2 weeks of time passed from onset to FULL recovery!

I have not yet spoken to my physician, as I was gifted with this lovely virus from a coworker that came to work with a fever last week, when I had not yet recovered from the Bell's and my immune system was otherwise engaged.

So, here I sit at home, coughing like a madwoman (thank God the fever is gone - it was three days of pure ... you know) but I am able to make funny faces at myself in the mirror and smile, REALLY smile, because once again, Bell's Palsy did NOT get to keep my face.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Betsy that is FANTASTIC news!

I'm sorry you aren't feeling up to snuff. Feel better soon.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, I never saw the final update but have been wondering how things were going.

I am SO, so glad to hear you're 100%! Of course, I'm sorry you had to fight off a virus at the end there - I hope you're fully recovered from that too.

I do hope you find time to document this for your Doctor. "Alternative" treatments are becoming more and more accepted by the "Western" medical community. Our insurance even covers quite a number of alternative treatments now! The Doctors out there need to know when something works that they wouldn't normally consider. It's the only way to help change their thinking that everything needs to be "medicated."

I'm so sorry you've had to suffer through this, but I'm so glad your wrinkles, dimple - and I'm sure what is a beautiful smile - are all back in place!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Betsy, I never saw the final update but have been wondering how things were going.

I am SO, so glad to hear you're 100%! Of course, I'm sorry you had to fight off a virus at the end there - I hope you're fully recovered from that too.

I do hope you find time to document this for your Doctor. "Alternative" treatments are becoming more and more accepted by the "Western" medical community. Our insurance even covers quite a number of alternative treatments now! The Doctors out there need to know when something works that they wouldn't normally consider. It's the only way to help change their thinking that everything needs to be "medicated."

I'm so sorry you've had to suffer through this, but I'm so glad your wrinkles, dimple - and I'm sure what is a beautiful smile - are all back in place!

Laurie
Thank you, Laurie - actually, that little virus turned out to be pneumonia, and I am just now starting to feel a bit better. It's been a long haul for me, healthwise this winter.

I did have a follow-up with my doctor about the Bell's and he was wonderful, even asking me for more info about laser light therapy for his wife - she has chronic hip pain, so he took my acupuncturist's business card to give to her.

He told me he really appreciated the information, that the timing couldn't be better, and then asked me for a big hug!
He said he wishes that he had more patients like me.
Personally, I wish there were more doctors like him out there!

He promised to research and educate himself further about this type of treatment, and as I am living proof that it works, I told him he could give my phone number to any other Bell's patient in case they want to ask about my experiences with it.

Thanks again, to you and to everyone who gave me support when I was going through this last month!!!