Bell's Palsy strikes twice

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, I'm glad to hear that you are beginning to see some improvement. You're right -- what doesn't kill you does make you stronger -- but it can be very difficult to remember that in the midst of the challenge. My hat is off to you for your gracious handling and ability to find the positives. You will lick this. Sending lots of vibes for your continued improvement.

Oh, yes, the puppy -- very neat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Betsy - Gary had Bell's Palsey also in 2001. It recurred 3 -4 times over the next few years. He was treated with acyclovar (sp?) - an antiviral (some believe it is triggered by a herpes- type virus) and prednisone.

It is important that treatment be received within 7 days or the nerve damage can become permanent.

There is a Bell's Palsey information site that is chock full of info. Here is a link to the treatment page: http://www.bellspalsy.ws/treatment.htm

Hope you're not in pain and that your face becomes "uncrooked" soon!

Laurie
Hi Laurie,

I went through the prednisone and antiviral treatments the first time, and the steroids made me really, really sick, really fast. I went to my physician on Friday last week, the day after it came on this time around, and he showed me a study that shows that there is no substantiated proof that such treatments are effective.

The medical community THINKS that they can help, but don't know for sure. There is no known, pinpointed cause or cure, only a bunch of medical "maybes." And prednisone is a really dangerous drug that I am choosing NOT to take this time around, based on my body's reaction to it the last time. Neurologists seem to enjoy threatening scared and devastated patients with: If you don't take this horrible drug, your face will stay that way! Puh-lease!

There is zero proof that lack of such treatments causes permanent damage; what causes the permanency of paralysis is severe nerve damage with no regeneration. Regeneration normally begins within 21 days of onset, with or without drugs, NOT 7 days.

Sorry, but I've become a bit of an expert in Bell's Palsy between the last episode and this. There has been no medical breakthrough, and I have read and read and read about it. I don't know if there is a website on it that I haven't visited within the last week.

My doctor shook my hand and wished me good luck with the acupuncture treatments, specifically, cold laser and acupuncture treatments designed to stimulate nerve regeneration. It worked for me last time around, and I am putting my faith in it once again.

Thank you for your good wishes - the pain behind my ear has gone away almost completely after 4 treatments, and this morning I was able to wiggle my left eyebrow very slightly, whereas yesterday I was completely unable to.

And I'm off shortly for treatment # 5 - I hope to wake tomorrow to continued reversal!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Hi Laurie,

I went through the prednisone and antiviral treatments the first time, and the steroids made me really, really sick, really fast. I went to my physician on Friday last week, the day after it came on this time around, and he showed me a study that shows that there is no substantiated proof that such treatments are effective.
I'm sorry the pred made you so sick. Because they're not sure what causes Bell's Palsey, I wouldn't doubt that what had once been "standard" treatment has shown no substantiated proof of efficacy.

The medical community THINKS that they can help, but don't know for sure. There is no known, pinpointed cause or cure, only a bunch of medical "maybes." And prednisone is a really dangerous drug that I am choosing NOT to take this time around, based on my body's reaction to it the last time. Neurologists seem to enjoy threatening scared and devastated patients with: If you don't take this horrible drug, your face will stay that way! Puh-lease!
I agree with your thoughts on Neurologists. Gary now suffers from cluster headaches, and they want to throw all kinds of horrible stuff at it. For many, the treatments are almost worse than the problem.

There is zero proof that lack of such treatments causes permanent damage; what causes the permanency of paralysis is severe nerve damage with no regeneration. Regeneration normally begins within 21 days of onset, with or without drugs, NOT 7 days.
I obviously haven't done as much research as you have! Thankfully, I haven't needed to.

Sorry, but I've become a bit of an expert in Bell's Palsy between the last episode and this. There has been no medical breakthrough, and I have read and read and read about it. I don't know if there is a website on it that I haven't visited within the last week.
No need to be sorry on my part. I'm sorry that you've had to become an expert.

My doctor shook my hand and wished me good luck with the acupuncture treatments, specifically, cold laser and acupuncture treatments designed to stimulate nerve regeneration. It worked for me last time around, and I am putting my faith in it once again.
I've had great success with acupuncture for various problems. I've never had Bell's Palsey (thankfully), but I am perfectly willing to believe that acupuncture would be helpful.

Hoping things keep getting better (and quickly!)

Laurie

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
still hopping you recover fast with no issues.

I will agree fully with you about the medical people. AFter dealing with them for the last 14 months i have lost all respect for them. I went to 8 different Neurologists here trying to find out what was wrong with my legs, and non of them even did the basic tests first. One of the drugs they gave me for pain , messed me up soo bad, i could not think, had problems with speaking, and some times would shake so bad that i could not hold a glass of water. dealing with the pain was better then that.

I finally had to go out of state to get a someone to do there job. granted it did not help,
but at least i know whats causing it now.

once again i wish you a very fast recovery.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Betsy! Just wondering how your treatment went last night? Hoping that there is some improvement for you....
I just wanted to give you a morning pep talk: You can do this Betsy!! You are one tough cookie!! You have us to lean on!! We are here for you!! You are a wonderful, kind, caring, giving person and you will get through this!! Keep your chin up!!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I've had great success with acupuncture for various problems. I've never had Bell's Palsey (thankfully), but I am perfectly willing to believe that acupuncture would be helpful.

Hoping things keep getting better (and quickly!)

Laurie
And I hope you never get it!!! Thank you for your thoughts and support!

Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Hi Betsy! Just wondering how your treatment went last night? Hoping that there is some improvement for you....
I just wanted to give you a morning pep talk: You can do this Betsy!! You are one tough cookie!! You have us to lean on!! We are here for you!! You are a wonderful, kind, caring, giving person and you will get through this!! Keep your chin up!!
Awwww, what a nice post to find the moment I logged on! Thank you so much - I'm trying to build the power to say I WILL recover from this, it is only temporary and there will be no permanent damage!

The treatment went great, and although I saw no noticable improvement this morning, I know that it can take time, so I'm trying to be a patient patient.

Thank you for my pep talk! TCS vibes have been proven (at least by me) to have tremendous benefit, and I appreciate you all so much! :::sticks chin up in the air:::

all around!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are a very strong and courageous woman Betsy, and I knew that before this crap happened to you again.

Glad to hear you think things are still improving.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning the left corner of my mouth is slowly starting to work again, when I smile, it moves just a little bit, whereas it didn't at all yesterday. The wrinkles on the left side of my forehead are starting to appear again, which means that the nerves are regenerating and the muscles are starting to receive brain signals again.

I can now reflexively blink with the left eye again, so I don't have to force it anymore.

It is now 8 days since onset, and the acupuncture has most definitely been working. I haven't taken any medications for this whatsoever, and this time the recovery is happening faster than it did 6 years ago. Full recovery can still take a couple of months for everything to go completely back the way it used to be, but I am feeling VERY positive today.

Based on the study that my acupuncturist followed to provide me with recovery 6 years ago, Bell's Palsy patients can achieve complete recovery after 10 cold laser treatments, provided that they get treatment within 72 hours of onset. (1,000 Bell's Palsy patients participated in this study over a period of time, different onsets, different severity levels.)

6 years ago I got treatment started at about 96 hours after onset, plus I was taking the Prednisone/antiviral combo, and because I got so sick from the drugs, I think that contributed to my slower recovery rate at that time as well.

This time around I'm feeling SO much better emotionally, and empowered with my physician's support to NOT take those nasty drugs and to proceed with the treatments that I myself proved work.

It's a great feeling, and when my face is back, I look forward to detailing it all in an email to my doctor in the hopes that perhaps he might recommend to his future Bell's Palsy patients that acupuncture may be just the right medicine.

I have another treatment this evening, one more on Sunday, and then we'll reevalute once again, and determine if we should give the last two treatments a little time in between or not.

It is amazing to me to have even this much recovery this quickly - I bet you guys that the TCS vibe network may very well have something to do with it as well!

Thank you, I love you guys!!!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
so happy to hear the acupuncture is helping so much!! Thanks for the updates

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Betsy - I just saw this thread. I'm so sorry - and glad that the acupunture treatment is working! A friend of my step-daughter's has this, and I'm going to tell her about the acupunture treatment, hopefully it will help her as well! Good vibes that your treatments are completely successful and that you're yourself again quickly!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Betsy, I am so glad to hear you are continuing to improve. Sending MANY more get better quick vibes to you

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is such great news! Thank you for sharing this with us, so we are better equipped with info, should any of us or our family/friends be faced with this.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That is such great news! Thank you for sharing this with us, so we are better equipped with info, should any of us or our family/friends be faced with this.
Thank you for letting me share and for being so supportive!

I absolutely recommend that if anyone ever comes down with this that the FIRST visit be to your primary care physician, but I abso-posi-lutely would tell you to get in touch with an acupuncturist that performs cold laser treatments ASAP!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good to know that you are starting to see some improvment. that is great news.

you know i have been doing some reading there is alot of people saying good stuff about laser treatment. My aunt had one done to stop smoking she,had some thing on her ear, it worked so far for her 9 months and no smokes.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for checking in with me to see how I'm doing. It means a lot to know that so many people care!

Well, I had treatment # 9 last night, which will continue to work over the next 24 hours, and my expected final treatment is on Thursday evening (although I may go for one or two more just to be on the safe side thereafter.)

As of today, I am happy to report that I have about 80-85% capacity back. I can almost smile fully with a closed mouth; the left corner of my mouth droops just below the right corner when I smile this way.

My sense of taste is back to normal, I no longer feel the "novacaine-like" feeling on the right side, something called a crossover effect from the facial nerves being out of balance.

My blink reflex is working at 100% normality, my left eyebrow is ALMOST back to normal, and almost all of my forehead wrinkles are back in place. (If you never thought you'd be glad to see wrinkles reappear, try having Bell's!) My eye no longer has a droopy appearance. (Was looking like a Basset Hound there for a bit.)

I still can't wiggle my left nostril, and I think that will be the last thing to come back.

My regular smile (toothy grin) is still crooked, but getting back to normal, and I don't feel so disfigured any more.

I hope to be able to post again on Saturday and report that I am fully healed and 100% recovered!

There are some who scoff at holistic practices, but there's a reason that acupuncture has been around for centuries - it WORKS.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's wonderful, Betsy!! It's good to hear that this has been treated so successfully.