Bear is at the vet. He's very sick, liver looks horrible.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no medical expertise to offer but I can hold you and Bear in my thoughts with the hope that this turns around asap.

Bear

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Update from FB:

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE ATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was just a little but he ate it all by himself!!!!!! He is less yellow and WAS PURRING for the first time since this started!!!! When I got up to feed him, he was waiting at the front of the cage!!! Hes never did that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He ate several mouthfuls of dry... Would not eat Nurto so I gave him some of the ferals Meow Mix, that is what he ate! I tried to get him to eat it the other day and he wouldn't! Then I opened several diff cans of wet but he wouldn't eat those. I think he is going to pull through!!!! This has been such a emotional roller coaster, but worth it. ♥

I think its the new med. In less than 24hrs he improved.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My God...
I loss the begin of this thread, BUT I´m so happy for you and Bear for this promisorious improve in his health...

With my best wishes & Prayers for him

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mega for Bear. I know what it's like to try and get a sick cat to eat. What worked with Harrison was mixing warm water and wet food to a soupy consistency. I must have gone through hundreds of cans of food before hitting on something he'd eat.
for you and the roller coaster you're on. Sounds like things are headed in the right direction!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
what a roller coaster. When I first read about yesterday's visit, my heart just sank,then I read that post by Mews2much's friend and thought "OK, it's maybe not so bad", and now your facebook post that he's eating, and I got so excited! Here's more get well vibes for your little bear:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denali

The values are not bad - it is positive that the ALT (liver value) is not going back up. Did your vet tell you that some cats recover in as little as 2 weeks but that some cats take up to 6-8 weeks to recover from liver disease? Please do not get discouraged. I know it is scary to see his numbers not coming down but if you keep on persisting the way you are I feel they will come down. I hope you can get in for an ultrasound soon. This will be very helpful. It is positive that Bear is more alert. Is Bear dehydrated? If he is then getting fluids into him will be important. Either your vet can administer Sub Q fluids when you bring him in or your vet can set you up to do them at home.

Are you giving both an antibiotic and steroid still? Or just the antibiotic?
Yes, he told me it could be months. I just figured that his levels would keep going down, did not expect them to go up at all. Bear has been getting 200 untils of SubQ fluids when we go to the vets, I meant to ask if we could do them at home. I forgot all about it after the vet showed me the bloodwork and I got upset. He is on Amox 2x a day, Metro 2x a day, Pepcid 1x a day, Ursodiol 1x a day, Milk Thistle (this one I spread out over 4x a day, 200mg all together) , and Pred 1x a day (low dose, 2.5mg).

Originally Posted by booktigger

Sorry that his levels aren't great, but the liver can regenerate, and they can manage quite well with reduced liver function, so hopefully he will turn a corner.
I hope things keep looking up! He was chatting at me this morning waiting at the front of his cage, and I thought "how odd... he meows when he wants food..." BINGO!

He had Nutro & c/d dry in his crate, but he just kept sniffing at them. So I grabbed some of the feral's Meow Mix dry and gave it to him, and he ate about 2 spoon fulls. He didn't want anymore after that, so I ran around and got about 4 cans of diff flavors & textures but he would not eat any of those.

He may just be too full to eat much on his own. I am thinking about cutting back a little on the amount I assist feed him. I am feeding 3 large syringes full at a time, I think I will try 2 1/2 and see how that goes.

Originally Posted by clpeters23

Mega for Bear. I know what it's like to try and get a sick cat to eat. What worked with Harrison was mixing warm water and wet food to a soupy consistency. I must have gone through hundreds of cans of food before hitting on something he'd eat.

for you and the roller coaster you're on. Sounds like things are headed in the right direction!
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

what a roller coaster. When I first read about yesterday's visit, my heart just sank,then I read that post by Mews2much's friend and thought "OK, it's maybe not so bad", and now your facebook post that he's eating, and I got so excited! Here's more get well vibes for your little bear:
I know what you mean, I literally sit there and beg him to eat...

---
Stopped writing to feed him:

HE ATE AGAIN!!!!!!!!

He sure doesn't disappoint does he, LOL?! It was just a small bit, and once again he would only eat the Meow Mix dry but I don't care, he ATE!!! He was quiet the little ham, I had to pet & baby talk to him the whole time... because once I stopped petting or talking he would stop and look at me like "You want me to eat, right?" LOL!

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am really pleased he is eating on his own, and I think you are right about him being too full on the assist feeding.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay - and don't worry about the Meow mix - thank goodness for any food that would tempt him into eating a bit on his own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

HE ATE AGAIN LAST NIGHT!

I had about 1/4 cup of Meow Mix in his bowl, got up to feed him and it was GONE!!!! I filled the bowl again and he was not interested, so I fed him 2 syringes and gave him 5hrs. He hadn't touched anymore so I fed another 2 syringes/5hrs. Still didn't eat so I am doing 2syringes/4hrs again.

So out of the 3 times he has eaten, it is about 3/4 cup of food all together! I wish he would eat the c/d, he really gained weight on it when I just fed him that. Meow Mix is ok though, better than nothing!

Called the vet. and he said I could increase the Ursodiol to 2x a day! Because he seems to eat a few hours after I give him the Ursodiol. I may not be able to make it to the vet tomorrow, the vet said come in on Thurs or Friday for bloodwork (I think we are going to do a WBC too). Looks like it will be friday, maybe his levels will be even better by then anyway!

He didn't go back in the crate after his last feeding, he hopped on the bed with the puppy. He is curled up sleeping next to me right now.
I've read where some of you have force fed, and the cat would hide from you after that. I am soooo happy that he isn't that type of cat, it would absolutly break my heart.

ps: look at the awesome siggy icklemiss21 made me!