TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, we start the meds tomorrow... wish me luck

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prayers, vibes and lots of loving thoughts are on the way.

Bayley

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor little Bayley. His little toes must have been sore with the infection and the claws falling off. He sure chose the right mommy and daddy to go home with. Now you can make sure that he gets well and something like this won't happen again.

I don't blame you for being angry at the H.S. Even though they are busy something like this should have been taken care of, especially since it was noted in his records. I think I would write a letter to them for the record noting that a declaw may be needed if the infection can't be cleared.

Here's hugs for you and Bayley and some get well soon with no declaw vibes for Bayley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone

We got the 1st pill down today with ease! I am going to do the ear drops when John gets home, and the 2nd pill tonight.

I hope he feels better soon, I'm just glad that he's finally getting the attention he needs- AND... he hasn't been chewing at that paw since they gave him that shot yesterday adn removed the bad claw... yay!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whew! Getting him to quit chewing on the claw is very important! Get well soon sweet little Bayley!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Whew! Getting him to quit chewing on the claw is very important! Get well soon sweet little Bayley!
I know! I was happy about that! Now lets hope the ear drops are easy to give.... eek!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ear drops are easy to give. But pilling may get more difficult as he understands what's going to happen. I'm hoping he just understands he needs it - some kitties are that way.

But for a pilling tip - sit on your knees, put your feet next to each other, and sit your butt down on your fit. Do this right behind Bayley, and pull him into the "V" made by your legs. This way he can't go backward, which is their natural instinct when you're pilling. This way you can hold his scruff with one hand (or John can) and pop the pill in his mouth with the other. Make sure you push it back the hump on his tongue, then gently close his mouth while he swallows the pill. We've found it easiest to do this while they're in the middle of eating a wet meal - because then they're distracted while eating, so it's easy to sit down behind them, pop the pill - and they can go back to eating and get any nasty pill taste out of their mouth.

And as to his paw/claw infection - POOR BABY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how many kitties the shelter cares for - but it's still just very sad that they missed it. I understand how it can happen - but it says in their report there was a problem, and no one there followed up on it.

I hope he doesn't have to lose his claws - but it seems the problem is only on one paw? If it comes to that, I would get a second opinion. But hopefully the soaking, and the meds will work. And if not, I hope I'm right about the problem being on one paw. At least he wouldn't have to lose the claws on both paws.

And you'll live through this! We had to medicate Flowerbelle 11 times a day between ears, eyes, antibiotics, skin granuloma.... Bayley may not be happy about the paw soaking, but he needs it, and you'll get through it because you're a great meowmy!

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Ear drops are easy to give. But pilling may get more difficult as he understands what's going to happen. I'm hoping he just understands he needs it - some kitties are that way.

But for a pilling tip - sit on your knees, put your feet next to each other, and sit your butt down on your fit. Do this right behind Bayley, and pull him into the "V" made by your legs. This way he can't go backward, which is their natural instinct when you're pilling. This way you can hold his scruff with one hand (or John can) and pop the pill in his mouth with the other. Make sure you push it back the hump on his tongue, then gently close his mouth while he swallows the pill. We've found it easiest to do this while they're in the middle of eating a wet meal - because then they're distracted while eating, so it's easy to sit down behind them, pop the pill - and they can go back to eating and get any nasty pill taste out of their mouth.

And as to his paw/claw infection - POOR BABY BOY!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how many kitties the shelter cares for - but it's still just very sad that they missed it. I understand how it can happen - but it says in their report there was a problem, and no one there followed up on it.

I hope he doesn't have to lose his claws - but it seems the problem is only on one paw? If it comes to that, I would get a second opinion. But hopefully the soaking, and the meds will work. And if not, I hope I'm right about the problem being on one paw. At least he wouldn't have to lose the claws on both paws.

And you'll live through this! We had to medicate Flowerbelle 11 times a day between ears, eyes, antibiotics, skin granuloma.... Bayley may not be happy about the paw soaking, but he needs it, and you'll get through it because you're a great meowmy!

Laurie
Thanks Laurie

We're doing the 2nd pill tonight, and the ear drops as well.

His claws are getting bad on his right behind leg as well, just one- but they had to remove that one as well

The plus side is that he's not been chewing on them at all today, I'm VERY happy! I hope that means by taking those out, he feels MUCH better

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Thanks Laurie

We're doing the 2nd pill tonight, and the ear drops as well.

His claws are getting bad on his right behind leg as well, just one- but they had to remove that one as well

The plus side is that he's not been chewing on them at all today, I'm VERY happy! I hope that means by taking those out, he feels MUCH better
I am glad to hear he's feeling so much better!
I still feel so bad for the poor little guy - and I would do it nicely but firmly - but the shelter should be ashamed of itself and they need to know what's going on!

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

I am glad to hear he's feeling so much better!
I still feel so bad for the poor little guy - and I would do it nicely but firmly - but the shelter should be ashamed of itself and they need to know what's going on!

Laurie
I called the shelter yesterday after we were at the vet, and she seemed really apologetic, and nice, but that doesn't pay for our unexpected vet bill I had to fork out for ' a healthy pet ' that I adopted!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quick question - when you were there, were there information sheets up on the doors of the crates in the shelter?

The way our vet handles it is the same way we handle it at the no-kill shelter. Any health problems are attached to a clipboard that hangs on the door of the cages. At the top is the list of things the cat needs and how often - and as people attend to pilling or whatever, they note it - who did it, what, and when.

If they don't do this, you may want to suggest to the shelter that they change the way they handle health problems so that other kitties don't slip through their system the way Bayley did. And I'd do it in writing.

Laurie

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Quick question - when you were there, were there information sheets up on the doors of the crates in the shelter?

The way our vet handles it is the same way we handle it at the no-kill shelter. Any health problems are attached to a clipboard that hangs on the door of the cages. At the top is the list of things the cat needs and how often - and as people attend to pilling or whatever, they note it - who did it, what, and when.

If they don't do this, you may want to suggest to the shelter that they change the way they handle health problems so that other kitties don't slip through their system the way Bayley did. And I'd do it in writing.

Laurie
The only thing that was on his, was that he was allergic to plastic.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to put his drops in tonight, and I read on the bottle that it was supposed to be refrigerated!! They never told me that in person!
So I stuck them in the fridge and I'll give them to him tomorrow....unless I shouldn't now because they haven't been in the fridge since I brought the bottle home yesterday?!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The purpose of refrigeration is to preserve the medication.
I would call my vet's tech and ask this morning if it is Ok to use it.
My guess is yes but better safe than sorry.

Bayley

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What may help Bayley too is an Elizabethan Collar (one of those funnel shaped collars). These are usually made out of plastic but I think you can get cardboard ones too. This would stop him from licking/chewing at his paws. They don't like them but they do work. I had to put one on one of my cats when she kept pulling at her stitches after she got spayed. She didn't like it to start with but she eventually got used to it.

One thing I was wondering about is do you have carpet in your house and if so, what is it made of? Many carpets are a mix of acrylic and wool - and acrylic is a kind of plastic. If there was a problem with carpet and Bayley's going to be an indoor cat, perhaps you could make him little cotton boots to wear so his feet didn't come in contact with the carpet. He probably wouldn't like it, but he's young and would probably get used to it.

I really hope his little paws get better soon.

Sending healing vibes your way.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, he hasn't been licking/chewing his paws since we were at the vet on Wednesday!!
Those pills he must be taking are working wonderfully, I think it helped a lot that they removed the 2 claws that were really bothering him too.

The pills have been going down wonderfully, and I tried the drops today, and he really hated me, I felt so bad, that I gave him a little extra boiled chicken treat
He forgave me quickly after that!

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good to hear that Bayley isn't chewing his claws and the meds are going well. He'll be back to normal soon. More hugs to all and get well vibes for sweet Bayley.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jean44

It's good to hear that Bayley isn't chewing his claws and the meds are going well. He'll be back to normal soon. More hugs to all and get well vibes for sweet Bayley.
Thanks so much! Those meds really are helping A LOT!! I'm so glad too, because I know he's not in pain anymore... AND, that also means that we're one step closer to NOT having to have my little guy declawed

But so far, just one day at a time!