Bayley

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get to the root of the problem with poor little Bayley soon. It's strange the HS doesn't have a health guarentee. We bought a dog year ago from the RSPCA & they had a 2 week consult free period.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just tried researching this for you and the only thing I found was someone on catster who's cat had lost an entire claw due to infection inside the nail bed in the paw.

I can't find anything else anywhere, nothing in my cat home vet guide.

My advice: bite the bullet and get him to YOUR vet ASAP. This sounds scary to me!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rescue that we got Mojo from gave us a 2 week window that if anything came up during that time we could bring her to their vet at no charge to us. I guess it was kind of like a health guarantee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked to the lady at the HS- she told me the ointment that they used on his other claw, and the vet suggested that I put it on the other one as well. They said that I shouldn't be TOO worried about it, but if I am to let them know again. I am going to get the ointment tonight, and they said to also put it on his neck, as those are the bumps from when he had an outbreak from the plastic collar.
We are going to take him in for his 1 year checkup when I get my tax refund next week, so that way we can rule out anything serious. I think it will help ease my mind as well, just to have my personal vet look at him, since thats who we're going to take him to from now on.
The people at the HS were super supportive and understanding when I called, so that was calming!

I have noticed that he really grooms/bites at his claws tho, both his right and left side. Not the back ones tho
So I definately want to get him looked at.

Thanks so much everyone!

mandm1213

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear that you got a new little baby. Bayley is super adorable. I hope that his claw is ok, I'm sure it will be though, he has you as a mother to take care of it. =) Yay for vet visits! =D Good luck with that little ball of joy and take care.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we have an appointment with our vet on Wednesday at 10:30

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure Bayley will be fine, atleast he's not in pain. I adopted my girls last Tuesday; Princess Frenchie (2), Tara (1) the Humane Society shelter I got them from told me to get them checked out with in the next month and they gave me 30 days worth of ShelterCare insurance to cover any major illnesses, shelter related illnesses or accidents. Going to your own vet is definitely the best thing to do, something may have happened and the shelter people didn't want to say anything to cause you to change your mind or delay the adoption. I'll keep little Bayley in prayer.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all is well with your new baby.

I've never heard of a cats claws just falling out like that, I will be checking back to see what your vet says.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that all is well with your new baby.

I've never heard of a cats claws just falling out like that, I will be checking back to see what your vet says.
Thanks so much. The vet was really understanding with my concerns, so at least I'm not overreacting or anything!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... I was just reading thru all the paperwork we recieved when we adopted him, I found this:
Tech exam revealed lesions above chin area, throat and shoulder blades. Toe nails on front right paw (the ones that I'm having problems w/) are injured. one missing.

My question... why didn't they tell me this? They said that they didn't know about it!

I'm definately taking him in on Wednesday for sure, just to be safe.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby - I bet that he was there so long because they DID tell people at first so no one wanted him because of it.

I hope that it isn't anything too serious.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Poor baby - I bet that he was there so long because they DID tell people at first so no one wanted him because of it.

I hope that it isn't anything too serious.
Thats so sad, he's so loving- if anyone DIDNT want him because of it, is horrible- its such a minor thing!
He does groom them quite a bit, which is why I'm taking him in on Wednesday.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good that you have an appointment for him. He's adorable BTW.

I wonder if he hurt them when he was caged? The first couple times that Beandip spent time at the vet he spent hours clawing at the bars, until his claws bled. He did the same thing in his carrier the first few times. It bled more than I could imagine it would have, from just a 30 minute car ride.
Beandip chewed on his claws a lot after that too, until everything healed. He's OK now, and he finally became a good traveler too.
Hopefully that's all it was/is for Bayley.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, poor boy! Lazlo broke a claw a couple of weeks ago. I gotta tell you I freaked! I came downstairs in the morning - and noticed a big splotch of blood on the floor. Then I saw another - and another - and they went from the living room into the kitchen - and a few other places in the living room. We examined all the cats - and when I touched that pad, Lazlo pulled his paw away and let out a yelp. With Gary's help, we took a look at it. The claw was broken at the root, but not completely off.

We called the vet, who said that if he's running around and jumping normally (he was), that it's like a person breaking a fingernail below the quick. It hurts, especially if you touch it - but if it's not bleeding, he should be OK.

The nail came off the next day, and we saw no more blood. It seems to be growing in just fine.

This, however, sounds like an infection causing the problem. I'm glad they were supportive at the shelter - but it IS strange they didn't mention anything and said they didn't know about it. Whatever it is, it can't be too painful, or you would have noticed it in the way he walks and plays.

I'm glad you'll be taking him to see your vet. Sounds like a good idea.

Laurie

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kenz, I just saw this thread...I am sending vibes that everything becomes normal for Bayley as he gets settled in..Maybe its the allergies or something.

{{{{}}}} for Bayley

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for you and for Bailey, I hope she gets a great report.

Please continue to let us know how she is doing.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
btw I forgot to mention that the first time Jake was so sick he lost a lot of his claws and most of them grew back in. He has one that grows in and then splinters off and dissapears. I'm glad you're taking him in Wednesday. If it's infection, you can get it cleared up and go from there.